Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Alternate Skill Rules

Downloads
    Uploads

Alternate Skill Rules

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have always been a big fan of skills playing a vital role in the game. I don't like the way 3rd or any previous rules handle skills. I don't think it is fair for a fighter to have only 2 skill points a level if he has no Int bonus. Esp when most of his skill set is Str based. So I run my skills different, my players and I think it allows for more character options and fun without being overpowered.

So I give each class the min skills per level as dictated by class. For example a fighter gets 2 per lvl (without the Int modifier, which isn't used) which HAVE to be spent on class skills. He then gets bonus skill points based on each stat. 1 point for every modifier. These extra points can only purchase skills with the same key ability as the bonus points. Purchasing cc skills cost double. Max skill points per level in each skill follow the limit set forth in the PHB. At first Lvl only the class skill points get multiplied by 4. The rest are multiplied by 2. I used to do 4 also but found players were too skilled at lower Lvls.

Example: Dwarf Fighter gaining his 2nd lvl
    +2 sp for Fighter class / Str 16, +3 sp / Dex 15, +2 sp / Con 18, +4 sp / Int 12, +1 sp / Wis 12, 0 sp / Cha 14, +2 sp

So to start, he gets 2 points he has to spend on class skills, 1 in both Intimidate and Craft-weapon. He gets 3 points for his Str, 1 each in climb, jump and swim. He has 2 points from Dex, 1 in ride and .5 in move silently(cross class). Then 4 points for his Con, 1 in concentration and the others in some house rule skills. A single point for Int, .5 in Knowledge-history(cc). No point for wisdom. And finally 2 Cha points, 1 point in handle animal and .5 in Perform-sword dancing(cc).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems interesting, but don't you find that the classes with lots of skill points, like rogue, end up with truckloads of skill ranks? Combined with the skill tricks rules I could see this becoming a problem, especially if you rely on challenges that feature stealthy opponents or traps.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Wizards and Rogues end up with the most skills, while Fighters, Priests and Sorcerers the fewest. It's not just the low number of skills that make it difficult for those classes, its that the cc skills cost twice as much. The only fix I'd make to the system is to make all skills Class skills.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1 level in factorum and able learner can do that already if you really want it.