Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy + high tech

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    hmmm, not specifically d&d psionics, though the 3rd ed version is not bad as systems go. i was thinking more element of time or moon of three rings style psi, personally.

i too would like to hear more about the genre mix of chaos 6010.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never heard of it. Wouldn't mind hearing more about the Moon of Three Rings too. I'll talk about Cosmothea later, don't want to take too much space on this thread for it.
    RPG Design Alliance is coming! We are bringing together people that want to create or help create quality games.
    QT Games is revamping and expanding our Cosmothea Roleplaying Game, which features fantasy, science fiction and superheroes. Not trying to take anyone away from Pen and Paper Games, but if you're curious to take a peek ... visitors are always welcome!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, nijineko, but those were pretty obscure references, heh. Had a hard time finding much info on either of them. Good to see you over at the RPG Design Alliance though. We've had some big setbacks over there, but are hoping to get things rolling in a bigger way soon.
    RPG Design Alliance is coming! We are bringing together people that want to create or help create quality games.
    QT Games is revamping and expanding our Cosmothea Roleplaying Game, which features fantasy, science fiction and superheroes. Not trying to take anyone away from Pen and Paper Games, but if you're curious to take a peek ... visitors are always welcome!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmmm. i own one and usually can find the other in the library. probably going to buy it soon. sorry about that, maybe i should have hunted up a wiki reference or something. any luck? if not let me know and i'll do something.

oh, and hope i didn't offend anyone. =P

Downloads
    Uploads
    I found a little information, but nothing on Psionics. Cosmothea has always had a pool of points, but a maximum number of one's most powerful spells/miracles/powers available. One can also attempt more complicated versions of a power and customize them as well. Magic is handled way different than in D&D and likely most other games. It's probably Cosmothea's most unique feature. Playing anyone that uses magic in Cosmothea should feel very different than elsewhere. I also have a faith system in Cosmothea for players that want to incorporate faith, and it works with the magic system as well. And there are many different types of magic wielders in the game, but I think the system is pretty straight forward and you can decide how many bells and whistles to add.

So, since I know zip about the psionic system you are talking about in that novel. What is it that excites you so much about it or what excites you most about psionics in any game or magic for that matter, nijineko?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmmm. a good question.

let's see if i can summate concisely psionics in these novels.

element of time: psionics is defined as mental channels which can open and close, and can be twisted, kinked, tangled, and otherwise fuzzy and unclear. there is also an exhaustion factor involved. the story is told from the point of view of an untrained if talented user, and his struggles with a series of difficult events. to translate it into mechanics, it seems most likely that the presence or absence of a power-channel would be a selection type option, while the usage of powers would be a skill check, and there is a cost in a slowly renewable resource such as power points/endurance/fatigue, or something similar.

moon of three rings: presence or absence of power is more a racial thing, which also influences absolute power levels and limits, as evidenced by an event later in the series. however, there is also support for development via exposure. usage seems to be a matter of exercise of will and the ability to imagine it. cost is likewise taken out of the mental/physical resources somehow. mechanically it can be described pretty much the same as the other.

as for me personally... i like a system that has a strong well-defined bare-bones framework for defining how things happen or how much various degrees of effort cost, and i like being rewarded for being either powerful, skillful, or both. (but i really like being sneaky, creative, and clever with a high degree of skill over raw power, as my personal leaning. don't get me wrong, being able to bust out some seriously impressive display is a lot of fun, too.) i like having a lot of freedom in describing the exact manifestation of what it looks like and how it progresses, so long as i do not exceed the framework. and finally, i like having a generous enough amount of power points, fatigue, exhaustion or whatever the "fuel" mechanic is in order to play around and be creative, even if it is not necessarily world-altering amounts of power.

in d&d, each power costs a certain amount of power points, most can be augmented with additional effects for extra power points. there are some fun powers and combos. compared to the slotted vancian style system of both memorized and spontaneous casters there is much more freedom in its complexity, both of which i prize. i get really bugged by the magic system, especially without any in-game story and background justification for the hows and whys of the system. within the context of d&d, the psionics system offers the closest to what i prefer. not counting the beholder mage, which would be the next closest in hierarchy after psionics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nijineko, thanks much for the detailed description. You and I seem to have very similar tastes when it comes to magic/psionics. Except perhaps that I don't really distinguish between the two. It's all magic or all power to me. With your descriptions of what you like, and being that we seem largely on the same page, I think you'll like the magic system in Cosmothea. It's quite robust, the centerpiece of the game really, and seems to do what you really like. Yeah, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you ever look very deeply into the magic system for the game. Now, I'm sure the backstory for those and Cosmothea's is quite different, however. Fatigue is also an option in Cosmothea, not a core rule. It was a regular part of our Cosmothea 3.0 rules set, but was left out in 4.0 to keep things simpler, and then came back in Cosmothea 5.0 as an optional rule. We're revamping the game, so there's still a lot to do still, but as I said before, it's playable. Anyway, thanks again for the info. Now to hear more on the Chaos game. Oh, as for the Vancian system, I only use it when playing in a friend's D&D game. Can't stand the system myself, in any iteration.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Games View Post
    Oh, as for the Vancian system, I only use it when playing in a friend's D&D game. Can't stand the system myself, in any iteration.
    that's why i play psionic characters virtually every time i play d&d. ^^

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi guys

Thanks for all your suggestions! I'll check 'em out when I've got a moment I can call my own. Sorry I've not replied earlier- I've been frantically busy with flat- and job-hunting, and now I'm having to fight my phone company and the Job Centre over appalling treatment, so looking into all the games mentioned might take another wee while. From a cursory read-through though it looks like Rifts and Dragon Age might be good places to start.

Bob, good to see you on this forum. I haven't been very active on Link Tin lately (see above).

Cheers
    Leo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    that's why i play psionic characters virtually every time i play d&d. ^^
    Heh, that's why I play Cosmothea, which includes a wide variety of arcane, divine and technological power users to choose from.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry for all the troubles, Leo. I've had some significant challenges of my own lately, but I wish you the best in sorting things out. Hopefully in 2013 we'll all see some nice improvements on various fronts.

Take care!
    Bob

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Games View Post
    Hi Soft Serve,

I really like the Eberron Campaign Setting, but personally, I wouldn't call it blended genre. It's very cool, true, but it's firmly grounded in a magical environment and to me at least, blended genre is like what you see in the movie, Avatar, with futuristic marines going up against a primitive species, when you have a crashed alien space ship in a magical environment - something like Cowboys v. Aliens - that's blended genre, not just taking something futuristic and making magical equivalents with no crossover of societies from different genres. Just making a magic toaster or magical robot probably isn't enough. Again, cool, but not quite the same thing. Dragons attacking jumbo jets, that kind of stuff is blended-genre to me, even a hint of blending can be fun, to be sure though.
    I completely agree, it's not a blended genre at all. Was just spitballing suggestions from my experience.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps the best way to describe the cross-genre is a little recounting of an episode during a play test session.

Our cadre is paid to go recover a prototype energy pistol from a crashed transport ship on the moon of Io. We rock out there on a inter-system shuttle, and land not far from the crash site. We emerge from the shuttle, and detect a number of large, Yeti-looking creatures scrabbling through the wreckage. The dark elf assassin makes an attempt to skirt the creatures, while the ogre simply levels his massive Hellbringer energy cannon. Playing the wizard of the group, I begin unleashing lightning bolts and spells that rot the flesh of these creatures, while our armored Beza (think four-eyed space hobbit) launches into the fray with an orc-made jetpack (it's little more than a guided rocket with straps).

After laying these beasts low, we find that the crash site was on top of a hidden research facility, manned by kuthalans (insect-people). Venturing below, we encounter a number of these creatures, as well as a demon they had imprisoned within a force cage. Unfortunately, our party members destroyed the power generators, freeing the creature. The PC's began a fighting withdraw, as they realized they stood little chance against the might of the demon, that was resurrecting the slain kuthalans. As the rest of the party managed to flee the facility, I stayed back to give them the opportunity to escape. As the mighty demon roared down upon my PC, instead of fighting, he knelt and said, "I surrender to you, my master."

Needless to say, the next bit was unseen by the rest of the party, but suffice it to say that the next thing they see before lifting off from the moon, was the wizard, emerging from the wreckage, with an interesting parcel in hand. What followed after has been... interesting.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    so did that make your pc evil, or were they already evil? i have a no-evil pc rule, which would have likely resulted in the wizard in question becoming an npc under dm control, and the player rolling up a new character. how does your group handle stuff like that?

i recall a rifts campaign where a great horned dragon overtook our party and was smacking some of us around. i was playing a mind melter who had managed to acquire a glitter boy and was using a few super-psi powers to comprehend the gb systems perfectly, to remotely operate it, to encase it in a telekinetic shield of force, and to have it wield a psi-sword sized to fit it. the gb managed to sneak up behind the dragon in the middle of combat and laid down on the ground. when the dragon later maneuvered and stepped over the gb, it aimed the signature boom gun 'where the sun don't shine'. (this was a long-ago campaign when we were much, much younger and less mature...) then activated a cloaking hologram and hid somewhere else, disguised as a big rock, iirc. that at least had the effect of abruptly ending the encounter, though later the dragon actually joined the party briefly for a share of any treasure... we suspected that it was in part also in order to find out more information on who performed said indignity and to later get suitable revenge.
    Last edited by nijineko; 11-26-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast