Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Sandbox Campaigns - Gamerstable Ep86

Downloads
    Uploads

Sandbox Campaigns - Gamerstable Ep86

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    A very popular style of game, in video gaming, is the concept of playing in an open world or sandbox. This gives players the freedom to play the established in-game story or to pursue their own interests. In a lot of ways table-top RPGs were made for this type of gaming, but the term scares the hell out of a lot of GMs.

Please click here to listen.
    Are you a gamer? Listen to Gamerstable Podcast.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    While they talked about a sandbox style of gaming, they seemed to really mean a player driven method of playing in a closed system.

For years I tried to get gamers playing in my world to go sandbox. They refused to go off script. Even when young characters would stumble on mature dragons they would attack. I suspect it was because several of them were WoW players. In video games every monster was beatable, just like DnD 4.0, all monsters had comparable stats to the heroes. They had the mistaken belief that characters could not be killed, since they were the reason for the story. Even after a few deaths, they continued to try to do the impossible. Even when I tried to explain the concept of sandbox they continued to look to me for the direction the tracks went. When I had given them dozens of hooks they tended to think I was giving them directions.

Not only do many GM's have a problem with sandbox play, but so too do players have a problem with this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very good points.

In a sandbox, running away is a viable and downright necessary option. I am glad you mentioned that and I wished that we had explored that angle of it.
    Are you a gamer? Listen to Gamerstable Podcast.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    sandbox only works when people know who they are, and what they want. errr, their characters, that is. ^^

of course, for some people, following the script and "winning" the encounters/adventure/campaign is what they want. and therefore, what their characters want.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive