Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Hi, from the Wheeling, WV area

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Hi, from the Wheeling, WV area

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Yo! I am a 36-y/o freelance writer and life-long RPG enthusiast who is happily back to the hobby after much-too-long a hiatus.

My ultimate goal here is twofold. Relevant to all: I want to hit a point where I am running a game at least 2-3 times a week, ideally (but not necessarily) with different groups. It would also be awesome to make new friends who I enjoy seeing away from the gaming table.

Relevant to some: I am working towards making it my career to create new RPG materials and sourcebooks - I've been a freelance writer more than 10 years, it's finally time to do something with that, that I enjoy. It would also be cool to meet folks who want RPGs to be part of their career in some way, or who want to become internet personalities in the RPG space.

But nevermind all that serious stuff for now.

Currently I am a player in a D&D 3.5 Forgotten Realms campaign. This is my first D&D character in AGES (we were playing homebrew games before that, and before that, was my hiatus). She's a 23 y/o Half-Elf Monk/Cleric of Helm. So far the hardest part of that has been finding places to play my character as a monk - the campaign has been greatly emphasizing the aftermath of the Time of Troubles and Nilet is the only Cleric in the party. La vie. Less difficult (read: hilarious) has been finding amusement in the other players' reactions to my character being female (or, for that matter, the interplay between my Law.Neut. Monk/Cleric alongside two chaotic criminals)

While I either wait for my turn to DM or recruit for a new group, I am working on two campaign sourcebooks / rules expansions for d20/D&D 3.5. One's a whole-new fantasy setting with accompanying lore, races, etc. The other is an attempt to create a streamlined, public domain Star Trek rules expansion for d20 that focuses almost exclusively on the things d20 Prime Directive either got wrong or skipped altogether. When you're a freelance writer and you intentionally avoid work to the best of your ability, you have a lot of time for these things.

Well'p, that's me in the presently-relevant nutshell. Again, I say, yo!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    welcome. links to any online sources of your work would also be welcome. a lot of us like to check out such things. i am interested in a few more details of your adventures and hijinks with your current character, do tell, please?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    At the moment all my projects are "file under in-progress." If it's appropriate, I could link to my youtube channel, which (as of yesterday) has been overtaken by me talking about my RPG background and current/upcoming projects.

As for the campaign we're playing, wow. She (Nilet, my character) joined the game as a monk who lived and worked in a magical prison in Athkatla, Amn. The socially-accepted gods of death are either under assault, or being recruited - we aren't sure. By all appearances, there is a sort of "anti-Ao" figure manifesting, a god of death on Ao's level of godhood.

Nilet joined the adventure after the party had raided the prison to interrogate a prisoner. She was charged with catching them as they tried to escape town. "They" being a Chaotic Neutral halfling rogue, and (alignment unknown) Half-Orc warrior. Nilet does not like these people at all - she's young and idealistic, overly principled and rigid. It wasn't until our third session, that we had a whole night where my character didn't attack the rest of the party in an attempt to arrest them for one dastardly deed of public endangerment or another.

Since then, we've been to Limbo, where we discovered that the architecture of her prison was almost identical to various other ancient sites in the world. Because of her life-long devotion to Helm, Nilet was summoned to some ultra-prison in the sky (as opposed to a superjail in the sky) which apparently shackles this anti-Ao figure. It was automated by a sort of jailer's holy spirit, but she's since found them a living steward of appropriate faith and devotion.

Right now we're being led slightly by the nose. The DM is playing things very high stakes - for example, a few encounters we've only survived because of a magic dagger which causes such an intense haste effect, the user gets 10 rounds of combat in the blink of an eye - and then falls out of the effect literally cooking to death from the effects. The halfling, for a while, was busting that out every time he got worried in a fight... so it's drained now. The halforc has a storied and mournful/hateful magic sword of extreme power, but the sword (until recently) fought (and overpowered) the halforc at almost every turn, even killing him once.

This is my first time playing in Forgotten Realms and I'm a little out of my depth with the lore. (Would have stayed well clear of multiclassing to Cleric, if I'd known the campaign was essentially "Time of Troubles Epilogue.") And, I think we've only had about 5-6 sessions so far since I joined the party... life gets in the way, especially when the DM is married and just got a new job.

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Ah, so these are your projects. My bad, should have looked here first. D&D not being my personal cup of tea, I can't really advise you, but can only encourage. However, the adventure sounds cool, and incredibly high-octane, is that just the DM and player party, or is Forogtten Realms like that in general? Also, both the gameworld and the characters are extremely detailed.

One of the guys at my local club has sort of made it his mission to get me to play D&D. Now, I'm not against playing D&D in principle, but it's a significantly harder sell for me as a gamer since, as I hinted in my intro, I've joined the hobby during the 'hippy indie' explosion. However, as I also said in my intro, I will very rarely point blank refuse to play a specific game. For one thing, as a designer one can get ideas and inspiration from a wide variety of sources, even an uber-crunchy combat game (if, like me, you're a heavy duty narrativist), or from a co-operative story game (if you're otherwise inclined).

One D&D setting that particularly appeals to me (because of the Han Solo associations) is Spelljammer, for which I heard recently there's an ongoing project to mod to 2 & 3e.
    Last edited by catty_big; 11-02-2012 at 05:22 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spelljammer is fun, though it's a lot more fantasy than Star Wars. I only played it for a few sessions ...it's a very different experience. From just about anything. One tip: wrap your head around it as hard as you can before you board a ship of your own and leave a planet. I hadn't ever planned out a trip into the wild like that before.

Forgotten Realms is a tad high octane, yeah, although I'm pretty sure he's ramped it far beyond the norm. That's the general sales pitch of FR... I think the slogan is "the world needs heroes." Part of the (stock) backstory is that the pantheon just got done punching each other in the face and now they're acting like a bunch of reality TV divas. We're definitely a storytelling bunch, or at least the core of us are. We've been RPing since grade school and middle school, so the system isn't relevant to whether we can story-tell in it.

Kinda funny, I don't consider D&D to be all that crunchy... at least, not after having played MERP and Palladium, the former of which has something like 5 or 6 denominations of metal coins and a 3 or 4 stage character generation process, the latter of which has something like 12 main stats, between 1-3 different HP pools (I think there's an MSDC [Mega-Structural Damage Capacity] when you're in heavy mech style armor... I think?) ...etc.

I will say that they really should have kept the "A" in the D&D for 3e... I dunno, has the industry figured out yet that thick hardbacks with 300 pages in the Player's Handbook and a minimum of two hardbacks just to run a game, equate to terrible marketing decisions? I wish they would. *Glares very disdainfully at his never-used, gifted Hero 6e vols. 1 and 2...*

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    behold the official 3.x spelljammer site, by virtue of being designated as such by wotc.

forgotten realms is estimated to be about one step up from greyhawk in magical density in the spectrum of the seven tangential primes. but the fla'aness has something weird going on with it that accounts for the atypical portal density and overlap from other dimensions and primes.

rolemaster (the system MERP was originally based on) is one of the most dense crunch systems you will find, other than one which shall deservedly remain nameless. my dm for that was a lightning calc, a gurps reference which came quite in handy for us. he could do all the numbers in his head, in seconds. sped the game up soooo much. i rather enjoyed the combat system. pretty simple to handle once you had crunched your numbers in advance.

speaking of gurps, try taking on the vehicular design rules sometime. now there is some serious crunch!

palladium not only had different denominations of coins, but each race had their own too! it's only 8 stats, and you had HP (vitality and life essence) SDC (structural damage capacity) and if you blended the rifts setting into the equation then you had to take MDC into account (mega damage capacity) as well.

funny that you call three core books a terrible marketing decision. they outsell every other rpg except pathfinder, iirc, which even though they fit the core into one book, still has a lot of expansions. it may not win them the indie gamers, but the numbers do not support calling it a poor marketing decision.

if you don't want books, i'll take them! (and once i have money to pay for shipping, i'll even arrange for that, too!) ^^

personally, i like the complexity. it allows me to make so much more, and to be really good at a number of things. and it allows everyone to be scattered about in ability and capability, and yet still be effective at something(s). too many games insist on keeping this artificial balance between players and npcs. (d&d included) this whole, keeping everyone on par thing, is not conducive to good gaming, good combat, good rp, or good storytelling.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    behold the official 3.x spelljammer site, by virtue of being designated as such by wotc.

funny that you call three core books a terrible marketing decision. they outsell every other rpg except pathfinder, iirc, which even though they fit the core into one book, still has a lot of expansions. it may not win them the indie gamers, but the numbers do not support calling it a poor marketing decision.

if you don't want books, i'll take them! (and once i have money to pay for shipping, i'll even arrange for that, too!) ^^

personally, i like the complexity. it allows me to make so much more, and to be really good at a number of things. and it allows everyone to be scattered about in ability and capability, and yet still be effective at something(s). too many games insist on keeping this artificial balance between players and npcs. (d&d included) this whole, keeping everyone on par thing, is not conducive to good gaming, good combat, good rp, or good storytelling.
    No way are you getting my brand-new-to-me books.

I like detail more than complexity, and that's what makes me want to work in broad, acceptably-detailed, low-variety-of-mechanics system cores. I'm not married to the d20 especially because it's so easy to fake a roll right in front of everyone.

But as to D&D and marketing. D&D has name recognition and that's a great reason to support it. Some people play it because they did as kids (regardless of version number), others because there are well-produced nasty-grams pretty much as cult-funny as any leveled at video games or music genres. D&D outstrips that, and it's a big part of why d20 appeals; add being The Only Rock Among Many Nebulous RPGs, if you allow (go Shadowrun! GO SHADOWRUN!!! Semi-forever.) and also add "3.5 is technically free, minus the flavor and some other stuff. Someone can help you." and it becomes a very communal choice that fits for now. IMO.

EDIT: Oh - and thanks for the Spelljammer link. Bookmarking.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    heh. i had a bad experience with a shadowrunner which managed to keep me from playing the game long enough till no one around me has it, so i still can't try it. the gentleman was a holier-than-thou gamer type where everyway you played that wasn't exactly like the way his experiences were seemed to mean that you were inferior and hadn't learned to actually roleplay yet, but it's cute that you try... sort of attitude. i have long since wondered if he either didn't realize or didn't mean to come across that way, or was just insecure and used the superiority to introduce himself or something.

anyhow. the attitude was just not something i could work with. after a couple of conversational failures, i just started avoiding him lightly. but, i had a crowning moment of come-back when a bit later i noticed him trying to explain something to a prospective player for a while, and the player was just not getting it. i walked over, listened for a round or two, glanced over the character sheet, waited a bit more to see if he would manage to get it across, and finally explained it perfectly so the player got it in about three sentences. when the guy asked me if i had ever played before, i tried hard (well, pretty hard) not to smirk and answered truthfully, 'no, it is the first time i have ever looked at the game'.

he was somewhat less obnoxious after that, at least to me.

which version of shadowrun do you prefer? i've heard some pretty hardcore preferences out there in the past.

glad to assist with spelljammer.

i'm always collecting books, so it was worth a try. if you ever change your mind.... ^^

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroMacGuffin View Post
    Spelljammer is fun, though it's a lot more fantasy than Star Wars. I only played it for a few sessions ...it's a very different experience. From just about anything. One tip: wrap your head around it as hard as you can before you board a ship of your own and leave a planet. I hadn't ever planned out a trip into the wild like that before.
    Thanks, that sounds like very good advice, but I think I'm going to be looking for quite a while to find a GM willing ro run it for me. Although with all the recent publicity that could well change.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroMacGuffin View Post
    MERP and Palladium, the former of which has something like 5 or 6 denominations of metal coins and a 3 or 4 stage character generation process, the latter of which has something like 12 main stats, between 1-3 different HP pools (I think there's an MSDC [Mega-Structural Damage Capacity] when you're in heavy mech style armor... I think?) ...etc.
    Yes, that's I mean when I say crunchy, apologies to D&D if it's not nearly as bad as that. Actually, now that I come to think of it, everybody says how strongly character-driven most iterations of D&D are- hence the relatively complex chargen- which for me as a pretty hard-core narrativist is not actually that far from what I'm looking for, character being fairly essential to story arc.

Yay!!! Awesome, dude, I'll check it out. Thanks .

Shadowrun is also of great interest to me. Well, why not? Cyberpunk plus fantasy races, what's not to like? Sorry to break into your conversation guys, but it's incidentally providing me with useful info to enhance my gaming experience . Sorry, carry on. [Creeps away and closes door]

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [slips a piece of paper under the door. on it is written something.]

Shadowrun Online by Cliffhanger Productions — Kickstarter

Downloads
    Uploads
    [Hears rustling. Looks down to see slip of paper appearing under door. Quickly pulls open door to find self standing on ledge high up on craggy cliff, the sky dark with flocks of war eagles, their riders, small armoured hedgehogs, firing at each other with powerful lazguns. Shuts door hurriedly and rubs eyes. Looks at message on slip of paper] Hm.. interesting. Will check it out. [Suddenly door blows open again, narrowly misses being caught in the crossfire of a vicious lazg-- closes door again]
    Last edited by catty_big; 11-06-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ever play rifts? fantasy meets high tech again, plus just about anything else they could figure out a way to include.... definitely crunch heavy, but any game that has a secondary skill option of role playing game design - for a boost of +1 to your PE due to all those late nights perfecting your creation - can't be all bad. ^^

Downloads
    Uploads
    ever play rifts? fantasy meets high tech again, plus just about anything else they could figure out a way to include.... definitely crunch heavy, but any game that has a secondary skill option of role playing game design - for a boost of +1 to your PE due to all those late nights perfecting your creation - can't be all bad. ^^
    Ah, you've twigged that I dig fantasy+high tech! Yes, I've heard of it. I'll try to track it down, any idea what the core material might set me back?

Edit: Hang on, have just scanned your post again. A skill option of RPG design? Game as meta-game? Ooh, now that I like!
    Last edited by catty_big; 11-06-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmm, well, it was an option in one of the palladium system books. if not in rifts, then it was in tmnt. which was also a lot of fun. we would mix rifts with heroes unlimited with ninjas and super spies with tmnt with palladium fantasy and have a grand time. which, as they are all compatible, is a lot of fun.

brand spanking new, you are talking $25-40 a book. i'd search amazon and other discount book sources.

here's the main site: http://palladiumbooks.com/