Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: New to the long game.

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb New to the long game.

I was on TTW (thetangledweb.net) to try to find a group, but I find that the groups I've made on there just fizzle out far too quickly. I would try to DM a more local group, except for the fact that I don't have my DnD (4e) stuff (long story). I have the books on my computer, and I can get Maptools to work okay, but the farthest that I've taken a character is to lvl 4 (one in 3.5 to lvl 6, but she started there). I have the characters I like to play as (I like to play & DM), but now I'm looking for a group online that can actually get commited to a 2-3 time a week game. I play on Saturdays 3.5 with a different group, but they /really/ don't like 4e, so that's out right there, and I live in a pretty small town, so the chances of finding people who are interested in playing DnD are too slim.

So basicly my question is this: Where on here can I post that I'm looking to DM a game online?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Someone who's been here longer, will probably answer your main question soon.

I'm looking to meet folks so I can DM games online via Maptools, so maybe we should chat I'm a 3.5 guy mainly because I adore the move to base it off an OGL product (d20). Are you D&D/fantasy only, or do you like other genres as well?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have played a little 3.5, and I don't really like it. I've been playing 4e for quite some time, and as such I much prefer that. I haven't really played any other P&P games though, but I am interested.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, 4e. Such a different animal from what came before it. What was it that turned you on to the one, and not the other?

Oh, and it seems the answer to your original question is here: http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...s-in-Your-Area even though it says "in your area," there are a couple listings that say they are meeting online.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like 4e because it's not so complicated as 3.5. In 3.5, if you wanted your character to be good at jumping, you had to put the skills into that, and that was all that skill would allow. In 4e if you want a decent player (I've found that you can get +17 to any one skill @ lvl 1) then you train in athletics, which lets you do more than just to jump. Spot, Listen, & Search (and possibly others) are now Perception.
    When I play 3.5, whenever I have an interesting idea, EVERYONE tells me not to do it. If I have the same idea in 4e, I can try it and possibly get away with it.
    One big thing: A lvl 1 character in 4e cannot deal hundreds of points of damage with one attack. I have heard stories where that was done in 3.5 though. Heck, my lvl 4 character can deal up to 400 points of damage A. to reptiles, and B. If I get 6-7 crits in a row, with C. a modified version of a weapon that isn't allowed to be modified like that (I wanted two small fullblades for their high crit).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    try the find or advertise games thread, which is two up from this one on the main forum page. and welcome.

though i must say, it sounds like you should be playing 3.x from your description of your character. something extreme like you describe, it is theoretically possible, but only with very specific rules and options in use, and not at level one.... probably 80-90% of the character just aren't that optimized.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    The more I hear about 4e, the more good I hear in it. I was massively turned off by the first things I heard. Now I'm glad some of it will be rolled forward. I've always thought Perception could be one thing... conditional modifiers can handle whether a blind character with excellent hearing or olfactory senses can Perceive in a certain situation.

The 5e panel discussions on Youtube give me a lot of hope as an oldschool gamer that D&D is back on track without losing the newer players.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    what about castles and crusades? or some of the other old-school based revamp systems out there?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive