Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Space Opera

Downloads
    Uploads

Space Opera

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Born in a golden time when 'realism' was the most strived for part of a game system, Space Opera was not the first, nor the easiest game to play. I have 'found' this game again after many years and am progressing on a campaign for my regular group. Because of the lack of Space Opera material on the internet, I have set up a yahoo groups site to coordinate info.

I would be delighted to hear about experiences with this game (good and bad) and with your permission, I will place a link to my site. Thanks

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SpaceOperaRPG/
    Last edited by joewells; 11-27-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ever see "space 1889"?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Space Opera, ah that name brings back some great memories! The group I belonged to when I lived in Miami had a regular game that lasted for quite a few years! Correct, not the easiest game to play, but did a good job of mixing various Sci Fi genres from Lensmen to Star Wars!

I still have all of my books and have actually looked at them within the last 6 months or so.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i own a number of lensman and buck rogers books. though the latter lean strongly towards gritty hard sci-fi. not like the tv show. interesting reads all. gurps lensman was also an interesting look at it.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nijneko, your reference to space 1889 is lost on me. I was a Space 1999 guy as a kid. if what you meant was that the system was dated, I agree. I appreciate that you and Skunkape have not mentioned a drawback that some others mention to me about SO, "It's just unplayable!" I find that to be an easy out for someone not willing to adjust and adapt the rules to their own campaign. In fact just READING the rules causes many to shake their heads in amazement.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by joewells View Post
    I appreciate that you and Skunkape have not mentioned a drawback that some others mention to me about SO, "It's just unplayable!"
    Welcome! As far as rule complexity, I've run a Role Master campaign in the past and if you know anything about Role Master, or should I say Rule Master, Space Opera really isn't that complex. While I liked Role Master, the fact that every weapon had it's own page of critical hit and fumble data was a little much.

But hey, you could find out that you cut the first join of the Orc's little toe on his left foot off with your last sword swipe! Actually, I don't remember it being quite that detailed, but you get my point!

Space 1889 is a game system from Game Designer's Workshop. It's Victorian-era space faring RPG, that to me looks like it was influenced somewhat by the John Carter stories. If you want to read more about it, there is a Wikipedia entry for it.

When I was younger, I never had much interest in the game myself, but as I've gotten older and begun to get a little more interest in Steam Punk, I find aspects of it a little more appealing.
    Last edited by Skunkape; 11-28-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Wanted to add a couple of ideas.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yeah, space opera doesn't have a patch on rolemaster. my character sheet was 9 pages, and that was a 4th level character. (which was because the dm had us copy and staple all our crit charts to our characters, we'd roll the attack, roll the crit, and just report the final result to the dm, who would adjust for any specials abilities then. it sped up game play a lot.

and i enjoyed the rolemaster crit tables, if only because of the dry and warped humor laced throughout. my absolute favorite entries were (if i recall the numbers correctly) the lightning e-00 crit (complete cellular dismemberment), the d-66 fumble crit (you trip over an invisible, deceased, non-existent turtle...) and the g-00 crush crit (you have been sat upon by a dragon, try a spatula).

sorry, i should have included the link to space 1889 myself. my bad. i also enjoyed watching space 1999 when i was younger. =D there were some interesting episodes!

Downloads
    Uploads
    As I get closer to needing to create a character, I eagerly await the 'creation death'. There is supposed to be a chance of death while creating a new character.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I own the boxed DVD set of Space 1999!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ah, nice!

there are only a few systems where your character can die during the creation process. i've played at least two of them. and i've handled another two or so.