Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Mad Libs for Side Quests

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Mad Libs for Side Quests

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    As a Dungeon Master, I'm happy if I can plan one side quest that seems interesting. Besides that, pretty much every side quest has to be off-the-cuff, and my brain is too quantitative for that.

So I'm playing Oblivion (PS3) and appreciating how every town or larger has at least 10 side quests in it. Since I love the idea of players living in a world where there is Too Much going on, I want to be able to recreate Oblivion's depth.

The first solution I think of: whenever a potential side quest pops up, ask the players themselves for the details. One chooses a location, another chooses a person, one person an object, and one an event or organization. This info should be enough to start a completely random side quest, as I use my limited improv skills to fill in the blanks.

Has anyone tried this? Or do you have other side quest ideas?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmm. i recently managed to sidetrack the pcs with a sidequest where they wound up getting lured in bit by bit.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Creative. Worth a shot at any rate. Maybe write down the rolls they'll be dictating on some index cards and make them draw from a deck?

I.E. you have cards that read "Villain, Ally, Contact, Item, Landmark" etc and whatever they draw they have to contribute to the "mad-lib."

You could even duplicate cards. So two people draw "Villain" cards could mean there are two minor villains about to have a showdown and the PCs have to intervene somehow. Or they draw Item, Item, and Landmark and have to assemble broken pieces to a key or relic that initiates some ritual at a specific landmark. Three landmarks could even be a pilgrimage style side quest.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you have something there.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    almost as good as having the players draw from a deck of many things... why not use just that? i was thinking of converting the three dragon ante deck into the deck of many things.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Three Dragon Ante sounds like a prescription for endless Dragonlance adventures. But there's potential...

Mortals: Cleric, Archmage, Druid, Thief, Princess...could be a protagonist, antagonist, or the concept behind the side quest.
    Chromatics: used to establish location details - cold, desert, swamp, forest, or red(?)...
    Metallics: um...treasure involved?
    Bahamut or Tiamat: Performing good or preventing evil.

Asking the players dramatically increases the potential for variety/diversity, but it also reduces verisimilitude by giving the players a potentially too-large hand in fate.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i have both decks, the original and the emperors gambit, i'll have to take a look over them and see. i like your initial direction.

metallics could establish the allies, treasure, and other positive aspects of the quest.
    chromatics would establish the enemies, traps, and other obstacles.

you could set up a tarot-like matrix of houses where each house (location that a card is laid to rest in) represents a particular aspect of the adventure: location, possibility for treasure gain or loss, allies, opponents, traps, puzzles, obstacles, sites of interest and so forth. each card could have a meaning or association with it which when combined would yield a complete adventure-quest matrix. the card being upside down could flip the meaning or instead apply the meaning to an npc instead of the party.