Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: I need some assistance on a city campaign

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question I need some assistance on a city campaign

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm going to dig through the posts here in just a few moments and probably in another section of the forums but for now I'm going to start this new thread cause I genuinely would love some help here and if it helps me I'm sure it'll help others.

I love DMing city campaigns and wilderness campaigns but really can only pull off dungeon campaigns to be the best sorts of games that I can manage. Perhaps that's sort of the average GM, but I want to graduate and I could really use some assistance.

Any tip and tricks that you all have regarding developing city campaigns would be an absolute treasure to me. I've got a city that I've been working on for a little while. It's a dwarves' stronghold, a very large one built into a mountain. It has a large wall surrounding a portion of the fertile lands around it which is close to a lake and some rivers in a valley and is well defended. The storyline of the city is steeped in a catastrophe involving an army of the living dead sweeping the countryside to pound on the gates with their siege weaponry, driving all manner of humanoids to hide behind the gates by making pacts with the dwarves in order to be allowed to stay and help fight off the invading force. They were successful in the end...

The request for assistance involves making a city campaign. How can I manage a city as a DM? What sorts of tips do you have for me and others when it comes to creating a city campaign and a city setting. Anything you can tell me would be a boon. Thank you.

Thank you very much for reading, posting and helping! <3
    "I am not young enough to know everything." ~Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My recommendation is to read some campaign books on cities. The mechanics of a city are pretty simple... XX rules, YY serves, KK produces food, etcetera - but the SOUL of a city is hard to do as a DM.

Consider your own country - or use your state as a guide. Who's in power? How'd they get there? Who supports them? Who works against them - PUBLICLY? Who works against them PRIVATELY? Who doesn't care? Who is the up-and-coming person to be Governor? Why? Who is in the upper-crust and how does someone new get there? How does someone up there get kicked out?

There is SO much crap to consider!

BUT - there are other things to keep in mind. In Tolkien's books, dwarves were pretty apolitical - so the ruler was there because of blood and remained in power until his/her bloodline ran out (no kids!). BUT - there are businesses that will be vying for power and position and wealth. Being more lawful than humans, odds are there will be less intrigue - but introducing other races into it will be a potential pain.

Start asking more direct questions and we'll see if we can offer better answers. City campaigns can be FUN!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    City campaigns in a peanutshell:

You need a list of standard city characters: the ruler, body of rulers, head of church, head of state militia, and institution heads like a librarian, arena master, or top wizard.

Throw in another handful of interesting people, both in power and without power, like criminals, entertainers, soldiers, and crafts/guildsmen. (Interesting people need interesting places - so be sure to think about the top 3 or 4 places your PCs will want to go. Inns, blacksmiths, and breweries!)

Each of these people has motivations that cooperate and conflict with most of the others. Pick out a few interesting ones for potential plot points.

Give your city some interesting scenery: like a titanic tower in the middle, or trees instead of fireplaces.

Now wind up all your pieces and watch them in your head. Write down ideas.

My dwarves (hill dwarves, anyway) are heavy drinkers because they're all poor and pummeled by their theocracy. They organize in clans because the state won't let them form other organizations. And they don't actually live underground, but they got that reputation because they're excellent miners and some of their aristocrats moved into exhausted mines.