Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Supers! Announcement

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Supers! Announcement

27 August 2012 – Montreal, Canada

ZENITH COMICS TO SHEPPARD SUPERS!

Effective immediately, Zenith Comics has purchased the exclusive rights and intellectual property to "Supers! The Comic Book Roleplaying Game" from Beyond Belief Games.

Simon Washbourne, creator of Supers! and owner of Beyond Belief Games had this to say;

"I'm pleased to have signed the deal with Andrew (Collas) & Walt (Robillard). These guys have shown the desire and commitment to continue the development and expansion of the SUPERS! line, to build on what I started and establish SUPERS! as one of the major super hero role playing games on the market."

Part of what Simon refers to is Zenith Comics plans to not only continue to offer the original game up for sale, but to create a Revised Edition, soliciting input from the fans of Supers! itself. Furthermore, Simon Washbourne will be acting as an Executive Producer to the creative team, steering his creation as new ideas improve and expand upon what he created. To which he said;

"I won't be stepping away from SUPERS! - in fact, I will be taking on a 'hands on' position to ensure that the SUPERS! line remains true to my original vision. Zenith Comics wants to keep the current fan base happy and reach out to new gamers who may not yet have realized what a great game they have been missing out on. I'm sure they will succeed in this and I'm happy SUPERS! is in the right hands to move the line to greater heights."

Zenith Comics and Hazard Studio (the official RPG arm of Zenith Comics) have a solid track record of working together and producing such hit lines as "Supervillains!" and "Type Casting" for other famous super heroic games.

"The time had come not only for Zenith Comics to have its own game," says Zenith Editor-in-Chief Andrew Collas, "but to have a game system that exemplifies fast paced comic book action, not one that gets bogged down in number crunching and minutia. Supers! was that perfect system for me. I fell in love with it the moment I countered a power blast with my eye-beams!"

While Zenith Comics has not revealed the long term plans at present, roster books, adventures and an eventual “Narrators Guide” are all on the drawing board.

So stay tuned fans and as always BE HEROIC!

- Zenith Comics
    -=-=-=-=
    "The English language is the product of Norman invaders attempting to pick up Anglo-Saxon women. The resulting language is about as legitimate as the resulting offspring." — From the Internet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great news!
    I'm excited and eager to read the future products.
    I'm pleased that you give Supers! a new lease of life.
    Sorry for my English, but it's not my primary language.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just responded to the same announcement on RPG.net, but I just want to add that I'm excited! This game has great potential and with some well-written support, settings, adventures, and villain sourcebooks the sky is not even a limit. Commission Russell Boyd for some of the art work!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've gotta say, after several conversations with the folks over at Zenith, I'm VERY excited about where this is going! I'm glad to hear that Simon will be actively engaged in the new direction, and I look forward to supporting this in any way that I can.

All the best!

Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Check out The Freedom Ring ...
    A superhero gaming supplement authored by yours truly and published by The Guys Ink.
    Purchase the SUPERS! version HERE!
    Purchase the BASH! version HERE!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really hope Zenith is able to get this awesome game to a larger audience as we all know it deserves!

And congrats you guys, I'm looking forward to the future of Supers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    does that mean I have to find a new supers game to publish the Public Domain Supers Under?

d

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey guys,

Just to be clear on this.

We are open to the 3rd Party Rules and I will say that we will use the approach that Chris Rutkowsky used for BASH when Zenith Published for BASH.

We welcome any and all support of the line and have no problem with roster books, adventures and the like.

We are not open to licensing the rules out right at this time for other genres.

We ask that you show us what you are a planning to publish, so that we can make sure we don't have the "Big Book of Erotic Superheroes" with our logos all over it.

andrewcollas at zenithcomics dot com

Feel free to contact us there about these things.

Sound good?
    -=-=-=-=
    "The English language is the product of Norman invaders attempting to pick up Anglo-Saxon women. The resulting language is about as legitimate as the resulting offspring." — From the Internet

Downloads
    Uploads
    We are looking to throw SUPERS out there and make a HUGE Splash! Both Andrew and myself are stoked about the possibilties. One thing we want to make absolutely clear is that we know SUPERS has a very dedicated fan base. You can count on this being the game you love and can count on us at Zenith being committed to taking this great game further. If you have ideas, we want to hear them. If you want to see a particular product, we want to know it. And if you are using SUPERS in a way that you know no one else is, drop us a line and let us in on the fun.

Thanks for all the support so far guys,
    We appreciate it

BE HEROIC
    Walt
    kroh AT hazardstudio(dot)net

Downloads
    Uploads
    Walt, it is reassuring to know that you and Andrew recognize what make SUPERS so great and that the core game will remain intact. I'm a new fan of the game, but I can see where recent discussions - such as the House Rules Thread that Andrew started - looks at some minor things that could be addressed. The Optional Rules chapter of The Freedom Ring provides some solid expansion as well.

I think it would be nice to have some benchmarks for vehicles, obstacles, and weapons, like a fighter jet, helicopter, tank, armored car, battleship, et cetera, so that we can more consistently handle scenes where characters are taking on such things. How many dice should I assign to an assault rifle, a pipe bomb, or an artillery round? What does it take to rip a bank vault door from its hinges? A Super-Strength TN of 24, 28, or 30? Perhaps the Hazard or Henchmen rules would suffice for most vehicles...

The Mook rules and Knockback could use some expansion too, but it would be just as easy to go overboard and make SUPERS fans want to ignore them altogether. That's a fine line, I think. For Knockback, guidelines are probably more appropriate than hard rules, since it could be ridiculous to mechanize the variety of factors to be considered.

Sorry to ramble. Just tossing out some thoughts!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do folks want to start a thread discussing this sort of thing? There would have to be some sort of limited access (preferrably a private Yahoo group or password protect forums on the Zenith end) so that all who enter sign an NDA and agree to sharing the work.

This could be very tricky.

Opinions?
    -=-=-=-=

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope that the core of the game remains the same and that any new rules additions are treated as optional. I like the idea of some benchmarks for various things being included as this would provide some guidelines on creating your own or coming up with your own on the fly. Some of the house rules I have seen seem like they might be useful or work well in the game but I'd prefer for most of those to be added as optional.

For me, the game is nearly perfect. I love the fact that it is rules-light but still robust enough to cover most things and situations found in comic books. I like the narrative aspect of the game. When I think of playing a superhero rpg, this is my go-to game every time. The more complex games turn me off. I like that I can build a SUPERS! character in just a few minutes as opposed to some other games in the genre where it could take the better part of an hour.

So, I'm all for some minor changes, especially things that are in line with the feel and complexity level of the current set of rules. I'm all for some optional rules being added that are clearly marked as optional. Benchmarks for vehicles, weapons and other objects would be cool as guidelines which would allow someone to fit something not covered by the rules into the system at a glance. But I love the core of the game and the speed at which characters can be created and how fast and smooth the rules run in actual play.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Toric (and everyone else),

Let me address your post, if I may.

The primary goal of the Revised Edition is to take what is there, clarify what is needed to be clarified, maybe add some new powers or aptitudes, a disad/ad or two and add more explanations for rules to clarify and show through example how the game works. We might add vehicle rules as that seems to be something folks felt was missing.

The Narrators Guide will be the optional (key word) rules expansion. Want to have HERO POINTS? Here's how they would fit in Supers! What to use Wild Dice? Here's one way to do it. Etc...

Before we write 1 word of the Revised Edition, we are going to reach out to the community and see what you all feel, since as the ones who have been bouncing the dice for a couple of years now, you have the best view of what works, what needs tweaking and what is missing.

That is my promise to all of you.
    -=-=-=-=

Downloads
    Uploads
    AslanC - Great News.

For a long time, I've struggled with the rule book to work out why such a good game didn't grab me on first reading.
    It was only after reading the book a number of times (and watching a lot of 'supers' style cartoons with my kids) that Supers! mechanic of power v power really clicked as the accurate model for comics emulation (and aforementioned cartoons).

I think that what the new edition need is (say) 4 double pages of straight 'comic' within it (spread throughout the book maybe). Within the text, reference can be made to this comic to illustrate 'how' the mechanics of Supers! matches to the 'outcomes' shown in the comic. Perhaps one case may illustrate how no rules were available for this situation and mechanics were developed 'on the fly'.

This is sort of the way Supercrew was presented, but there the distinction between game and comic became somewhat blurred - but was probably the rule book that gave me greater insight into Supers! actual potential.

Of course the major problem with this is the possible cost involved - I have no idea how much 8 pages of good comic costs, but there are certainly some fine one shot artwork posted on this forum.

Just my 2 cents.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    AslanC, that all sounds absolutely fantastic! Just the sort of revisions that I believe would be perfect. The idea of the Narrator's Guide containing the optional rules is a great idea. New powers, ads/disads, aptitudes, etc. in a revised edition would be welcome.

Other than all of that, roster books and perhaps an adventure or two would be nice additions to the game line to round things out.

In any event, I'll be supporting you guys as you begin to put out material. Glad to see the game getting further support!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast