Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Freedom Star vs Crossbones

Downloads
    Uploads

Freedom Star vs Crossbones

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Freedom Star

“Why risk the lives of many men, when one man will do?” asked Freedom Star. Colonel Greenfield was ready to send-in his commandos and indeed his men were eager to do their part.

“These boys are freedom fighters too. This is their job.” replied Greenfield.

“Colonel, all I’m saying is let me go in first. If the hostage is still alive I have a better chance to save him. There will be plenty for Delta Bravo to handle. Those terrorists will be scrambling like roaches when I cut loose. I’ll charge deep and try to get to the heart of the operation, after all, we still don’t know who is commanding this cell.”

Greenfield replied with a gravelly tone, “Well... Now you’ve got a good point.” He paused and began modifying the plan of attack. He nodded with a satisfied grunt. “Alright. the Eagle squad will hold down the West perimeter, while you start from anywhere on the south wall....”

Twenty minutes later, Freedom Star was in position. He got the green light from Colonel Greenfield, wheeled around, and kicked-in the double doors.

[Note: This scene is using a house rule for Mooks, from the house rules thread]

Athleticism 13 vs TN 6. The doors buckle and fly open!

Reaction: 13 vs Terrorists (Mooks) 10
    The terrorists fumbled for their submachine guns as one terrorist drew a pistol toward the head of an UN peacekeeper tied to chair.
    Freedom Star: Energy Control 16 vs Terrorists (3 ea.). Freedom Star threw a burst of star bolts taking out the five terrorists nearest to the hostage!
    Terrorists: 5 vs Athleticism 4. A spray of gunfire forces Freedom Star to dive behind some barrels, leaking crude oil on his costume. (-1 Composure)

Reaction: Freedom Star 9, Terrorists 5
    Freedom Star: Fighting 14 vs (3 ea). He sprung from behind the barrels with a double-kick, sending two bad guys sprawling and then whirled around with a punch-kick combo to lay out two more!

The last standing terrorist dropped his gun, turned and ran, only to be captured by Delta Force commandos. One of the Colonel Greenfield’s teams entered behind Freedom Star to secure the scene as Freedom Star ran deeper into the complex.

Freedom Star heard rough voices as he descended into a deep basement. Intrusion 5 vs TN 6. The terrorists were on the alert and they saw his shadow creeping in the stairway. They open fire!
    Terrorists: Shooting 6 vs Reaction 11. Freedom Star dove away as auto-fire sparked on the concrete wall behind him!
    Freedom Star: Energy Control 9 vs (3 ea.). He formed a giant star-bolt and threw it like a discus, taking out 3 of the mooks!

And then a black-clad figure stepped into the room, wearing a black and white skull-like mask... Crossbones! “You did well to make it this far, but you haven’t dealt with the likes of me yet!”

“I’ve dealt with bigger and badder than you, Crossbones.” Freedom Star replied.

Reaction: Freedom Star 11, Crossbones 6, Terrorist 3
    Freedom Star attack: Energy Control (area blast) 9 vs Athletics 8, vs Terrorist (3 ea). He powered up and pulsed a wave that threw the terrorists against the wall and knocked Crossbones backward into cabinet - shattering wood and glass! (-1 Composure)
    Crossbones attack: Twin pistols (split attack) 9 vs Athleticism 9 and 9 vs Fortitude 9! A barrage of stinging shots strike all-around the scrambling hero, but no major harm done.

Reaction: Freedom Star 10, Crossbones 2
    Freedom Star attack: Presence 8 vs Presence 9. Freedom Star glowed with celestial energy, revealing that he was unharmed and unafraid, but Crossbones chuckled dismissively.
    Crossbones attack: Twin pistols (split attack) 4 vs Shooting 7. Freedom Star used his experience in firefights to judge where the shots were going. Attack #2, 7 vs Energy Shield 20. Crossbones shots deflected harmlessly away!

Reaction: Freedom Star 12, Crossbones 8
    Freedom Star attack: Energy Control 10 vs Fighting 15. He charged with a energy punch, but Crossbones ducked under it. The punch shattered part of the concrete wall.
    Crossbones attack: Twin pistols 15 vs Athleticism 11. Crossbones spun around and cut loose with point-blank shots as Freedom Star somersaulted away. (-1 Will) Freedom Star thought Yikes! This IS a dangerous dude.

Reaction: Freedom Star 12, Crossbones 8 (again)
    Freedom Star attack: Fighting 4 vs Fighting 16. Crossbones easily dodged Freedom Star’s flying kick.
    Crossbones attack: Twin pistols 10 vs Energy Control 17. Freedom Star landed and bought up a energy shield to block the deadly bullets.

Reaction: Freedom Star 10, Crossbones 5
    Freedom Star attack: Presence 10 vs Will 11. “Your guns are worthless against me!”, but Crossbones said, “We’ll see about that!”.
    Crossbones attack: Twin pistols 14 vs Energy Shield 22. Another volley of shots easily deflected!

Reaction: Crossbones 8, Freedom Star 7
    Crossbones attack: Fighting 9 vs Fighting 9! Crossbones drew his wicked combat knife and charged, but Freedom Star blocked it and the two of them grappled, knocking over a table and shattering glass.
    Freedom Star attack: Energy Control 10 vs Fortitude 8. He powered up and sent a surge of energy coursing through Crossbones! (-1 Will) Crossbones fell to one knee shaking his head.

Reaction: Freedom Star 14, Crossbones 4
    Freedom Star attack: Fighting 12 vs Fighting 16. Crossbones blocked a sidekick aimed at his head.
    Crossbones attack: Poison blade 15 vs Energy Control 19. Freedom Star met the oncoming knife strike with an energy-infused counter-chop, turning it aside.

Reaction: Freedom Star 7, Crossbones 6
    Freedom Star attack: Energy blast 20 vs Fighting 8! Freedom Star unleashed a two-handed blast, knocking Crossbones through a metal shelf with a huge clatter! (-1 Composure, -1 Fortitude)
    Crossbones attack: Twin Pistols 14 vs Athleticism 11. Crossbones rolled out of the debris and came up firing. Freedom Star did a handspring to avoid the worst, but a bullet tore a hole in his uniform. (-1 Composure)

Reaction: Freedom Star 9, Crossbones 4
    Freedom Star attack: Energy blast 14 vs Twin Pistols 14. Wow! Another big blast, but this time Crossbones countered with a storm of lead that dislodged a piece of HVAC equipment on the ceiling and threw his attack off the mark!
    Crossbones attack: Fighting 9 vs Fighting 8. Crossbones cracked him with the butt of one of his pistols! (-1 Fortitude)

Reaction: Freedom Star 14, Crossbones 5
    Freedom Star attack: Energy bomb 20 vs Athleticism 8. Freedom Star powered-up and detonated a bomb of celestial energy as Crossbones ran and dove for cover! (-1 Fortitude, -1 Will) but the powerful blast slammed him against the concrete wall.
    Crossbones attack: Fighting 6 vs Athleticism 9. A shaken Crossbones threw his knife, but Freedom Star dodged.

Reaction: Freedom Star 9, Crossbones 8
    Freedom Star attack: Energy bolt 18 vs Intrusion 11. A powerful star-bolt ripped through the debris that Crossbones was using for cover. (-1 Reaction)
    Crossbones: Athleticism 6. He dove into a vent trying to escape.

Reaction: Freedom Star 9, Crossbones 4.
    Freedom Star: Athleticism 5 vs Intrusion 15! Freedom Star dove into the ventilation shaft to give chase, but Crossbones lost him rather easily.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Freedom Star is from The Freedom Ring sourcebook.

At the end of this one, Crossbones had 1d remaining in all four resistances! Freedom Star had about 7d of resistance remaining. The disadvantage for Crossbones was that he is offense-oriented, so his better abilities didn't help him in defense. However, when it came to going toe-to-toe, Crossbones was more than a match. Interesting stuff! This combat had a totally different feel from the high-powered Thor-Megalon battle and appropriately so! The dice were friendlier to Freedom Star also. He had some huge 4d Energy rolls!

Freedom Star's Tough Defense boost was huge. It makes me wonder if there should be "Deadly Attack" boost to match it. Yes, I realize Armor Piercing partially compensates, but that only applies to Armor as a defense.
    Last edited by Jukeboxer; 08-26-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Jukeboxer!

I don't know if you know this, but I'm the author of The Freedom Ring and Dusltand is the artist. Fredom Star is probably the character I would play if I got to play in my own campaign. It was a distinct thrill for me to read the action-packed fight between him and Crossbones. Thanks for posting it, and thanks for another great match-up! I LOVE how creative you are in terms of describing the action!

Keep these coming!

All the best,

Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Check out The Freedom Ring ...
    A superhero gaming supplement authored by yours truly and published by The Guys Ink.
    Purchase the SUPERS! version HERE!
    Purchase the BASH! version HERE!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Hi Jukeboxer!

I don't know if you know this, but I'm the author of The Freedom Ring and Dusltand is the artist. Fredom Star is probably the character I would play if I got to play in my own campaign. It was a distinct thrill for me to read the action-packed fight between him and Crossbones. Thanks for posting it, and thanks for another great match-up! I LOVE how creative you are in terms of describing the action!

Keep these coming!

All the best,

Dragonfly
    Of course I knew that! Thank you for a great supplement. The characters and backstories are fun, the optional rules are so good that I think they should be considered for the upcoming 2nd edition, and Russell's art really puts it over the top. I was hoping you would appreciate seeing your creation in action. Thanks for the comments and encouragement! I'm having fun with these vignettes. I hope to do more as time allows.