Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Supers! House Rules Thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Supers! House Rules Thread

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hey guys, I notice there are a lot of old threads that have house rules all over this place. Would anyone be willing to repost their's here in this thread so that we can have them all collected in one place?

Cheers!
    --
    -=-=-=-=
    "The English language is the product of Norman invaders attempting to pick up Anglo-Saxon women. The resulting language is about as legitimate as the resulting offspring." From the Internet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay so I will start.

I used a Wild Die in my game, much like the old WEG one, expect on a 1 the players has a choice, lose the highest die or get a complication in the scene. On a 6 they have a choice as well, explode the die (which keeps exploding on 6s) or get a Perk in the scene.

It worked rather well for us and lead to some excellent and exciting moments!
    --
    -=-=-=-=
    "The English language is the product of Norman invaders attempting to pick up Anglo-Saxon women. The resulting language is about as legitimate as the resulting offspring." From the Internet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was thinking of a new Aptitude:

Subterfuge - You are skilled at trickery and deceit. Your cleverness allows you to lure enemies into a disadvantage. This aptitude may be used for attack or defense, but each use in a scene, reduces the effectiveness by one die. Alternatively, subterfuge dice may also be spent as Competency dice to boost other Aptitude or Power rolls. Common complications would include Device, and Limited Use.

That aptitude would useful for villains like the Red Skull or the Joker.

Another idea that was discussed in the Thor-Megalon thread:

Reaction Powers: Any movement power with Super Speed as a boost may be used as a Reaction roll, if the circumstances are appropriate. When used in this way, the power is not available as an attack or defense in the same round.
    Last edited by Jukeboxer; 08-16-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's an idea I'm considering:

Upper Hand
    At the beginning of an adventure, the arch-villain most often has the upper hand. The arch-villain is granted 2 extra competency dice per hero. For each Upper Hand die spent by the villain, the heroes gain a competency die to add to their Upper Hand pool. Through the course of the adventure, this advantage shifts from the bad guy to the good guy.

Do you think this would work as intended? Are 2 Competency dice per hero enough or too much?
    Last edited by Jukeboxer; 08-17-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Collas View Post
    Okay so I will start.

I used a Wild Die in my game, much like the old WEG one, expect on a 1 the players has a choice, lose the highest die or get a complication in the scene. On a 6 they have a choice as well, explode the die (which keeps exploding on 6s) or get a Perk in the scene.

It worked rather well for us and lead to some excellent and exciting moments!
    Not having much experience with the system the Wild Die originated with, is this one of their regular die from their pool, or an additional one they roll?
    The Soultaker Studios Blog: http://soultakerstudios.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by urbwar View Post
    Not having much experience with the system the Wild Die originated with, is this one of their regular die from their pool, or an additional one they roll?
    It is one of their pool, not an extra die.
    --
    -=-=-=-=

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukeboxer View Post
    Here's an idea I'm considering:

Upper Hand
    At the beginning of an adventure, the arch-villain most often has the upper hand. The arch-villain is granted 2 extra competency dice per hero. For each Upper Hand die spent by the villain, the heroes gain a competency die to add to their Upper Hand pool. Through the course of the adventure, this advantage shifts from the bad guy to the good guy.

Do you think this would work as intended? Are 2 Competency dice per hero enough or too much?
    For my money I would do it more as they get the dice at the climax of the session or the final showdown. That said, your way works just as well.
    --
    -=-=-=-=

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is one of their pool, not an extra die.
    Gotcha
    The Soultaker Studios Blog: http://soultakerstudios.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gonna change up my Wild Die rule;

On a 6 on the Wild Die, roll it again. If it comes up 1 - 5 add that to the total... if it comes up 6 the player gets a perk instead (Counter attack, split attack, recovery, etc...)

On a 1, roll it again 2 - 6 minus from the total, on a 1 it is a critical fumble, some sort of setback.

Will let you know how it plays.
    --
    -=-=-=-=

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gonna change up my Wild Die rule;

On a 6 on the Wild Die, roll it again. If it comes up 1 - 5 add that to the total... if it comes up 6 the player gets a perk instead (Counter attack, split attack, recovery, etc...)

On a 1, roll it again 2 - 6 minus from the total, on a 1 it is a critical fumble, some sort of setback.

Will let you know how it plays.
    I think it's too much die roling. One of the beauties (and aims) of Supers! was to combine the "to Hit" and "damage" roll into one mechanic and this undoes all of that simplicity. I like the Wild Die, but only if the result can be read directly from the roll - not if you have to roll it again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You honestly think adding 1 rerolled die, 2 out of 6 times undoes the whole mechanic? Hmmm... I would have to think about that more, but then that's what optional rules are for

As a side note though, my players and I are going to play RAW (rules as written) for the next 3 sessions to really get a feel for the core rules and then see if we need to add any house rules.

Besides I can drown them in Competency Dice if need be
    Last edited by Andrew Collas; 08-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    --
    -=-=-=-=

Downloads
    Uploads
    You honestly think adding 1 rerolled die, 2 out of 6 times undoes the whole mechanic? Hmmm... I would have to think about that more, but then that's what optional rules are for
    Well, not exactly but it does add another level of complexity to a simple system. One of the core design principles was to get away from additional dice rolling where possible - this puts an extra one back in. I'd avoid rolling for initiative if I thought there was a better alternative...

As a side note though, my players and I are going to play RAW (rules as written) for the next 3 sessions to really get a feel for the core rules and then see if we need to add any house rules. Besides I can drown them in Competency Dice if need be
    I find it is always better to play rules as written before tinkering. You sometimes find hidden depths that you didn't appreciate after a read through.

I get quite annoyed by people who whine that the rules of XX game don't work and that they hate it; only to find they've houseruled it until it doesn't resemble the original game anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A better alternative to rolling for initiative? Hmmmmm... there must be one... what about bidding? That might be something... bidding Reaction Dice for that round?

Anywho, also taking the time to subscribe to my threads now that I got my "face" back

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a cut and past from a previous post regarding some rules options I was working on for Supers! go to War; I've since taken to calling the action Assist but it doesn't really matter right now:

Aid Another (includes Covering Fire!):
    Two or more characters may work together to succeed at some challenge. Each supporting character must go first, rolling whatever Aptitude or Power is applicable in aiding the action. For every 6 points they roll, the main character gains a Temporary Competency Die that must be used the same round to achieve whatever action they are teaming up on.

ex: Welrod, Ma Deuce, and Gold Rush are trying to get a radio operating so they can call in an air strike on some Nazi tanks! The GM sets a the Target Number at 15 (the radio was blown up during a major fight). Welrod, with Tech 3d, is the main character in the action so he will roll last.

Ma Deuce decides to use her Super Strength 2d to bend, mold, and shape components at Welrod's direction. She rolls a 7, so Welrod will have 1d Temp Comp Die to roll on his turn.

Gold Rush has no applicable powers or trained aptitudes, so he uses his Tech 1d to try to assist in the repairs. He rolls a 1, pretty much just getting in the way so he doesn't add a Temp Comp Die to the action.

Welrod rolls his Tech 3d + 1d Temp Comp Die, scoring a 17! He gets the radio working and calls in the Spitfires to strafe the Panzer column!

I made this rule when I was wondering how Covering Fire could work without getting too complicated. I didn't want to use static bonuses because as a player, if I'm giving up my turn to aid in the glory of another player, I at least want to roll some dice! Also, this allows a particularly good "Aid Another" roll turn into a time to shine in it's own right.
    Last edited by Dustland; 08-20-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
    I think it's too much die roling. One of the beauties (and aims) of Supers! was to combine the "to Hit" and "damage" roll into one mechanic and this undoes all of that simplicity. I like the Wild Die, but only if the result can be read directly from the roll - not if you have to roll it again.
    My issue with it is somewhat different. I don't like fumbles or critical fumbles in superhero games, unless a character has some sort of "unluck" disadvantage. It's just not in genre to me. A 1 in 6 chance of suffering a reduced roll is just too much. I'm trying to imagine playing BASH with a similar rule, and it would suck. I just wouldn't play that game.

That being said, I'm cool with the exploding Wild Die on a 6. I don't think it's too much die rolling at all. It still combines the Attack/Damage roll. It just means that you get higher results sometimes, which makes for nice, dramatic, genre-appropriate moments.

Cheers!

Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Check out The Freedom Ring ...
    A superhero gaming supplement authored by yours truly and published by The Guys Ink.
    Purchase the SUPERS! version HERE!
    Purchase the BASH! version HERE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast