Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Are there any great reference book for pen and paper players

Downloads
    Uploads

Are there any great reference book for pen and paper players

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I am looking for some good reference books for pen and paper players. Example Maybe a book on urban legends or maybe books on how police really work, Forensics. So the players can get a little more in depth in how there character would work in real life ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, for Forensics/Police work, etc - the Call of Cthulhu world has some 'moderately good' info, especially on the Delta Green side of the house, however much of that is out of date now.

To pillage some info from YSDC: http://www.yog-sothoth.com/threads/2...d-Intelligence

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For most game needs, it's hard to beat Wikipedia, either direct online, or printed out sections - look up "forensics", etc. There is actually a police "CSI" work someone has done for RPGs, but I can't remember the name or location of it offhand - it's something like "Crime Scene Investigation for RPGs" or something.
    Abstruse Decapod

"It's apparently a lesbian romance about the world ending due to bears. I've been meaning to run it by Utgardloki." -Anon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, Wikipedia is a great gaming reference, might not be 100% accurate, but for gaming, it's fantastic!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    As,I have not much knowledge of this.I can't say anything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    As,I have not much knowledge of this.I can't say anything.
    Makes sense why you posted then. Came here to say you have nothing to say? Thuper Duper.

If you really wanna get down on the reality of the situation. Feel for the life of what ever RPG you're attempting. Head to a big Library. Seriously. Then make photo copies.

or

Interview somebody of the profession you're interested in mimicing in your RPG. Colleges or Universities are usefull (as are their libraries). Call a local CIA or FBI office (they have numbers in the phone book) and just be honest. Tell that you have interests in their profession and ask them what they would do in your Theatrical situation.

Getting down to the "pen and paper" of it all always got my research juices flowing. I use Wiki's and Google for last minute stuff on gaming day for any possibly small story details.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic204 View Post
    I am looking for some good reference books for pen and paper players. Example Maybe a book on urban legends or maybe books on how police really work, Forensics. So the players can get a little more in depth in how there character would work in real life ?
    Define your subject? I constantly use Wikipedia. Yes, I know the limitations of the medium. I'm running a game not writing a college paper.

The problem with specifics is that the entire body of knowledge is fodder for RPGs. From Architecture to Zoology.

Baby name sites, translation services, Google maps, the list goes on. The best tool I have is my computer and my Internet access. Skill at Google Fu is a must.

I would say there are no bad reference books for RPGs.
    Last edited by tesral; 09-23-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: More

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Define your subject? I constantly use Wikipedia. Yes, I know the limitations of the medium. I'm running a game not writing a college paper.

The problem with specifics is that the entire body of knowledge is fodder for RPGs. From Architecture to Zoology.

Baby name sites, translation services, Google maps, the list goes on. The best tool I have is my computer and my Internet access. Skill at Google Fu is a must.

I would say there are no bad reference books for RPGs.
    Well put, I couldn't have said it better myself. I totally agree with you.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a selection of books by Joseph and Francis Gies who quite literally "wrote the book"(s) about medieval life. I've learned so much about how life actually was back then - and it's truly helped my campaign world.

Sure, they talk about how "nice" it was as a lord/gentry/wealthy schmuck, and how sucky it could be for Joe the Farmer - but it's the lifestyles and how towns and villages grew and how names were developed and stuff like that which has really impressed me. The way Bob the Would-Be-Merchant took his last 10 shillings (the most money he had ever had), and bought a bale of wool - and carried it 150 miles to a lucrative market in Venice, then used the money there to buy some dyes and carried them 300 miles on his back to Genoa to sell. He then bought a wagon and loaded multiple rolls of fabric on his new wagon - and DRAGGED IT BY HAND 120 miles down to Florence, where he used his new wealth to buy a team of oxen... and on it went until he ended up with a fleet of ships and exclusive trading rights in Constantinople/Turkey... yeah, that's the stuff I enjoyed. I also enjoyed stories about how Sigurd sweet-talked a ship captain into taking he and his harvest of grain down the coast of The Netherlands to Dunkirk, France, where he swept the market just a week before the locals could harvest... and then was attacked, drawn and quartered by the locals for destroying their income potential for that year.

Sure, it can be a bit dry - but when the adventurers come back to town with a chest of silver coins and a dragon-hide, you have a good idea of how things will go.

And Tesral is SO correct in his use of EVERYTHING for reference material. Heck, my youngest daughter is addicted to Netflix's run of "My Little Pony" and I just used a two-part show as fodder for a new campaign arc.

Don't judge me...

A good DM takes inspiration where they can get it - and makes it up from there.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
    Don't judge me...

A good DM takes inspiration where they can get it - and makes it up from there.
    Who is judging? Ideas are where you find them.

Something my friends and I have noticed. The worse the film the better the RPG fodder it makes. As a general statement. Some stuff is beyond hope

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group