Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Simple System

Downloads
    Uploads

Simple System

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    A few years ago I put together a system to target new players while keeping the system free and open to regular RPers. I focused on simplicity and speed. The idea was to make a game simple enough that it could be casually played during lunch hour. I call it Simple System.

http://tabletop.zeliepa.com/bin/view/Main/SimpleSystem
    (I have the rules set up in a wiki format which helps to organize things.)

The System has gone through a lot of testing and revision and I'm pretty happy where it is, so I wanted to post it here for people to take a look at. Character creation really takes only about 2 to 5 minutes, which lets new players jump in quickly, even halfway through an already running game.

I also addressed a lot of elements of other systems that I always found lacking. Explanations of this I've separated out into an advanced reference for those interested in the thoughts behind the mechanics.

The system can be very combat heavy if the players want. I wanted to bring back the classic war-game feel to RPing that was there from the start. However there's a lot more focus on role playing. The rules really just exist to resolve combat. After that I leave it up to the players and the DM to focus a lot more on role playing.

The DM will have heavier reading than the players, but not much. There's about 9-10 pages of rules governing the rest of the game. Most rules are extremely simple and once you run through combat once, it will be a breeze.

I run game's often on OpenRPG, which I'll detail in a post in the appropriate forum. I take advantage of the easy dropping in of players and NPCs all the time. I find it helps me get out of my own way as a GM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wanted to add that I read through Adventure Party and couldn't help but draw parallels between it and Simple System. Adventure Party is pretty cool. It looks like we both set out to solve some of the same problems at right about the same time. I totally "get" that game and may even run a few "scenes" myself with friends.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Added a character creation tool. Should help speed up new players even more.
    http://tabletop.zeliepa.com/bin/view...mCharacterForm

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very cool what you did there. I too am into trying to make systems to a game simpler, yet still entertaining.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wanted to check SimpleSystem out, but I got caught up. Is this correct:

- Sometimes you roll skill checks with a d8, and sometimes with d6 dice pools?
    - There are 10 different equations/processes for use in resolving combat outcomes?