Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: superhero cartoon series to prep the players!

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

superhero cartoon series to prep the players!

One way to prep players for a rousing superhero campaign is to show them episodes from superhero cartoon series.

There have been so many American cartoon series involving superheroes, everything from the silliness of Fearless Fly or The Tick to the whimsy of Super Six to the pulpy goodness of the 1960s Hanna Barbera superverse and Defenders of the Earth to the seriousness of Batman: The Animated Series or Ultimate Spider-Man.

One advantage to using episodes from a cartoon series is that they take up maybe 20 minutes of time and they don't belabor the plots as a way to cut costs on SPFX.

So, name one or more cartoons you might use to prep your players, and tell specifically WHY that cartoon would be the one you choose. (Or it might be a specific episode.)

-- thread inspired by (and credit therefore goes to!) celinasinha's thread http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...animated-shows
    Last edited by magic-rhyme; 06-14-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the x-men and spider man of the 90's (FOX i think). Those were the best. Some were ... meeh, but all-in-all, great shows.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    the x-men and spider man of the 90's (FOX i think). Those were the best.
    It depends upon the feel or style you want in your campaign. Show them decent Marvel cartoons such as the 1990s Hulk or the 1960s Fantastic Four and you will end up with a Marvelesque campaign; show them decent DC cartoon such as the Justice League Unlimited or Batman: The Animated Series and you will end up with a DC-ish campaign.

If you want a more campy feel, show them instead the Batman Brave & The Bold, and you will end up with a very different campaign from the 1990s Hulk or Batman: The Animated Series.

If you want a more four-color campaign feel, show them Space Ghost and Birdman and, maybe, Defenders of the Earth. If you want a more anarchic feel, try The Tick.