Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: A weapon that levels

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

A weapon that levels

Does anyone have house or official rules for weapons that level and gain abilities as it increases?

For example you find a long sword +1, after using it awhile it becomes +2, then later it gains cure light wounds 1/day....

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Their are Weapons of Legacy rules you can use that talk about these sort of rules.

Another option is that PC's invest XP or GP into weapons that increase to certain levels (for example, the Samurai). I would recommend looking at the pathfinder rules for paladins class feature Ddivine Bond http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin for other ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I second Weapons of Legacy as a source.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you could also adopt the kensai and/or psionic weapon master mechanics as all-access options for any class. put some level restrictions on it perhaps, and off you go. maybe limit it to fighting based classes, on second thought. casters and semi-casters already have enough juice.

weapons of legacy needs tweaking, but the foundation ideas are worthwhile. i think it's fun, personally, to limit the abilities the weapons can gain to things that thematically match either the player tactics, the enemies they fought, or both.

(ever since we fought that dragon to a deadlock, the one where my sword was half-melted as a result? yeah, it bursts into flames now whenever the fight really gets going...)
    Last edited by nijineko; 06-09-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you can also use something called an Item Familiar to do something similar to what people are describing here. It is in Unearthed Arcana.