Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: 3.5 Rule mongering questions!

Downloads
    Uploads

3.5 Rule mongering questions!

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    SO. Within a campaign world of mine, I have a good creature warped by an evil item, that makes the creature appear/behave evil. For example: A Solar has a mask put on him by a god, that essentially makes him evil. If the mask were removed, he would be himself again, a solar in all their LG glory.

NOW: Holy word is as follows:
    Holy Word
    Evocation [Good, Sonic]
    Level: Clr 7, Good 7
    Components: V
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 40 ft.
    Area: Nongood creatures in a 40-ft.-radius
    spread centered on you
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None or Will negates; see
    text
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Any nongood creature within the area that
    hears the holy word suffers the following ill
    effects.
    HD Effect
    Equal to caster level Deafened
    Up to caster level 1 Blinded, deafened
    Up to caster level 5 Paralyzed, blinded,
    deafened
    Up to caster level 10 Killed, paralyzed,
    blinded, deafened
    The effects are cumulative and concurrent.
    No saving throw is allowed against these
    effects.
    Deafened: The creature is deafened for
    1d4 rounds.
    Blinded: The creature is blinded for 2d4
    rounds.
    Paralyzed: The creature is paralyzed and
    helpless for 1d10 minutes.
    Killed: Living creatures die. Undead
    creatures are destroyed.
    Furthermore, if you are on your home
    plane when you cast this spell, nongood
    extraplanar creatures within the area are
    instantly banished back to their home
    planes. Creatures so banished cannot
    return for at least 24 hours. This effect
    takes place regardless of whether the creatures
    hear the holy word. The banishment
    effect allows a Will save (at a 4 penalty) to
    negate.
    Creatures whose HD exceed your caster
    level are unaffected by holy word.

Now, let's say a 24HD character casts Holy Word. Would it effect the Solar? The mask makes him nongood, but the creature by nature is good. The fact that it was placed on him by a deity means it will not be removed so easily. Would the angel just shrug it off, or be banished for a day?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmmm. for the record, in my campaign world, it is impossible to forcibly mess with the moral and/or ethical agency of an individual by any means or power up to and including artifact, epic, and deity level effects or actions. i strongly disagree with the existence of such things. which has a number of odd and interesting affects on game mechanics, magical effects and items in said campaign world setting.

having mentioned that... i suppose it would depend on what you decide for the wording of the mechanics of the mask. if the mask functions by effectively (if temporarily) lobotomizing, or somehow imprisoning the reasoning/ethical/moral agency of the solar, or replacing the personality or some such; then it would be the mask that is evil and the solar retains its' good subtype, which would likely make it immune to holy word, but not the mask (if and only if it functions as if it were, or in fact actually is, a creature of some type).

if the mask is not in any way a creature, and/or functions by changing the subtype of the creature, along with the mindset or whatever... then holy word would be effective.

your use of "appear/behave" inclines me to think more the former where it does not actually change the essential nature or agency of the solar, thus holy word would not be effective, in my opinion.

^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    You invented the item, so you'll have to define how it works.

The spell affects creatures of evil alignment, not just those with the evil keyword, so if the mask actually changes the alignment of the wearer, then you have the hilarious result of banishing an evil creature to a good plane.

On the other hand, if the mask is creating a permanent Dominate-like effect, then the underlying alignment would not change, so the spell would do nothing.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    maybe they just needed some clarification of thought by getting ideas bounced back at them by the community?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    You invented the item, so you'll have to define how it works.
    This.

A solar really isn't a solar if it's not good. Planar creatures are wacky like that: they're not made of cells and water, they're made of good and evil. So to make a solar evil is to destroy it, or turn it into a demon.