Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: DnD Next Playtest

Downloads
    Uploads

DnD Next Playtest

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Has anyone gotten a chance to mess with the playtest they released yesterday?

I know its only been a day and they were having troubles yesterday with people being able to download the packet. They have apparently fixed/are still fixing the problems today. So if its something that interests you you should go check it out.

Sadly my group couldn't get together tonight to play. But I did get a chance to read through most of the material. From what I glanced at a lot of it seemed familiar from 3.5. Maybe? (definitely not saying that's a bad thing. I loved 3.5) But its a step in the right direction from 4 (for me anyways).

Once I've had a chance to read through it more I'll be back to give more thoughts!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is 2 different groups in this area that I know of that are doing it. Hopefully I will hear some feedback from them about it, but most likely not until sometime next week.

edit: Now know of a third group that has this, but they haven't had the opportunity to meet and try it out. Haven't heard from the other 2 groups either.
    Last edited by cplmac; 06-01-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: more info
    "You go 50 feet and come to a Y."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thriondel mentioned that it seemed a little more like 3.5. I guess it's more like 3.5 than 4E. I started playing in 1978 and this has a little smattering of AD&D which is kind of nostalgic for me. Magic Missile always hits. A round has 6 seconds. There are some 4E-type components that make actions simpler and run quicker. I think players with Thriondel's mindset will be see D&D Next as the upgrade that should've happened. 3.5 characters could change but really don't have to. Playing 3.5 and Next would be akin to playing AD&D and Arduin Grimoire, it's a little "off" but it works. Those who really love 4E for the "different D&D" it is may not like Next as much. Knowledge of the rules and strategies are what 4E players seem to appreciate. "Next" will allow DMs to bring the emphasis back to the story. The character growth will be more like 2E or 3E with as much or as little depth as the players want where 4E almost requires a minimum of development within a structure.
    Overall I would say this is a positive upgrade for the industry and everyone should pass it around and give it a try. The playtest includes Caves of Chaos from Keep on the Boarderlands. I've actually gone through this in AD&D and 4E. It's my most played module. I would be pleased to run a group through this using Next.
    I think I'll keep my 4E as well. It really is a game apart from all the others and as someone who likes strategy and combat with light role-play it's fine for me.
    Never make the DM chip in for the pizza!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I signed up for this thinking they'd open up access to VTT to beta playtesters of NEXT. They didn't and have even forbidden online play of NEXT for now... boo!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm trying to run a playtest of this as well. Yes, it's more like 3.5, but actually it's almost like a combination of 3.5 and 1st edition in a lot of ways. Even has some things similar to 2nd edition(remember kits?). Seems very streamlined and simplified - I'm liking it so far.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i'm waiting to see what direction they go with feats and classes. playtest materials look interesting so far. i like what they did with saves.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I played it last weekend, and really enjoyed it. I love the way the characters are equal parts Race/Class/Background/Theme; I can't wait to see what different combinations play like. The "Advantage" mechanic was also fun. More thoughts here.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We played today and I enjoyed the game. I have some small quibbles but the system does a good job of emulating the meat grinder that was the 1e Caves of Chaos.

The fighter was killed by the ogre in one shot, he had taken some damage from a goblin the round before, so it really wasn't a one hit kill. So dying isn't that hard even with a good number of HP. The dying rules are okay, but I wish they would be revised so that a character was injured (with penalties and all that) but on his feet. Better to die fighting than lay there and bleed to death. Plus it's just kind of boring to making death saves for 5 turns in row.

We had to make a fighting retreat from Goblins and improvise an explosive device from a keg of brandy (unfortunately) to save our butts. We eventually killed the leader and the remaining fellows surrendered.

Total we had two combats in four hours. Which seems a bit excessive for a game that is supposed to be fast paced. Then again we ended up killing 40+ goblins and an ogre in that time (burning hands and the bomb were helpful in raising the kill count). Looking at the module now and I see that we actually fought 6-7 "encounters" worth of goblins with only one short break.

Our character are now battered and bruised, but we took over the ogres lair and rested the night. Plus we now have goblin "allies" who have agreed to work with use against their enemies. Should be interesting.

No minis were used or harmed in this game, and that's saying a lot since we all collect miniatures and paint. We decided when we started playing that we would see if we could get through the entire game without using them. Only once did we need to draw a quick sketch for clarification. So that's cool. Next time we will use them and see which method we like better.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    no opportunity attacks and no feats, unless I missed them. I hope that feats die in the same fire as daily/encounters powers.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    no opportunity attacks and no feats, unless I missed them. I hope that feats die in the same fire as daily/encounters powers.
    You didn't miss them. In a Q&A session I read recently, the designers said they considers attacks of opportunity, and felt it slowed the system down too much, but they may be incorporated as an optional rule.

Feats "kind of" exist, in that background, class, etc give you abilities that reflect what you might call a Feat, but they come with the background or whatever you pick as opposed to choosing them yourself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like they changed the thing about not being able to play online. Check the FAQ here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.a...ews/dndnextfaq

It is toward the bottom of the list. Now maybe I'll actually be able to play!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool. I might actually get to play this thing now. I've downloaded and read through some of it, but haven't played it yet. I just started my kids on a Basic Fantasy RPG adventure, and its my first time out DMing. I would love to find a local game shop running it.