Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Fantasy
System Used: Pathfinder
Style: 50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
Current Players: 5
Desired # of Players: 5
Game Location Street Address: 6141 Avery Dr
City: Fort Worth
State: Texas
Zip Code / Postal Code: 76132
Game Times Frequency: Weekly
Days of Week: Sunday
Online Game Details Online Game?: No
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Google Map
Loading Map...

Thread: Swordquest/The Ravenloft Files

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swordquest/The Ravenloft Files

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm looking for 2 or 3 players to replace a few players that will soon be leaving my group due to job transfers and other real life dilemmas. I have been GMing steadily for almost 25 years now and over the years have been fortunate enough to have had several very loyal players in my group, some of whom stuck with me for as long as 20 years. Sadly, again due to real life dilemmas, none of these players are with me any more. But most of my current players have been with me for a few years, though I will soon be losing a few of them.

Currently (and for the past several years) I run an on-going game set in the World of Greyhawk, for about 2/3 of the year, which I alternate every fall with a campaign set in Ravenloft (which typically runs from early September to late December and which has been on-going for almost 20 years now).

The system we use is Pathfinder, but with a few house rules. Having been a DM of D&D 2e for almost 20 years, there are a few things about these older rules that I prefer over Pathfinder. For example, magic items, while there are usually plenty to be found, are more difficult to make and more easily destroyed than in the Pathfinder rules. Also the cleric's power to channel healing energy is more limited, though the channeling of harmful energy remains unchanged. These are the major rule changes and there are a few minor rule changes such as a simple and yet realistic (IMO) critical fumble chart that I use. Overall, while there are not a lot of house rules, they do make my campaign slightly more challenging than it might otherwise be. But I would not consider my campaign to be particularly deadly. I'm not a fan of constantly killing off characters and having to introduce new ones. My campaigns are very story driven and I would much rather keep the same characters as long as the players refrain from making unwise decisions.

Typically, I run long on-going campaigns where the characters are allowed to develop a great deal over time. However, we occasionally take breaks in the campaigns (when switching to and from the Ravenloft campaign) and, later on, resume with these campaigns at the point where we previously left off. However, at the time of this posting, both my Greyhawk campaign and my Ravenloft campaign are, or soon will be, in a state of transition.

In my Greyhawk game, we are currently finishing up an adventure with 13th level characters. This will only last for a few more weeks. When this adventure is over, we will be retiring this group of characters and starting up a mini-campaign with new (8th-level) characters, which will essentially be for one fairly lengthy adventure, that I'm calling Swordquest. Ordinarily, I do not run one-shot adventures like this - but this is an exception, which has to do with an important event in the World of Greyhawk. When the Swordquest adventure is over, we will then begin a more sand-box style campaign, centered on the City of Greyhawk, and which will very likely be a very long campaign, taking characters from 1st level to as high as 20th level or even higher.

Somewhere along the line, when it gets to be near September, we will switch to the Ravenloft campaign for a time. When we are done with Ravenloft, we will resume the Greyhawk campaign wherever we left off. In the Ravenloft campaign, there again we will be retiring one set of characters and creating a new set of 1st level characters.

Up until recently, we have been playing on Sunday nights. But I am currently thinking of switching our game nights to Saturday nights.
    Last edited by Arkhemedes; 05-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Downloads
    Uploads
    If transportation could be arranged (I live in Arlington TX, a block from ITT Tech where I go to school), I would definitely be happy to play. I have never played Pathfinder, but that's more because of opportunity than anything else.
    "When all is said and done, you have two basic choices: do what's crazy, or do what's smart. And people of character do not stick with one such choice, but make the choice that is best for the situation" Myself
    Doromii

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As an update to the original post: the game with the 13th level characters is now over and I am looking to begin the Swordquest campaign. The Swordquest campaign is a mini-campaign (one adventure) based in Greyhawk and dealing with a group of six barbarian-like adventurers (meaning that 5 of the 6 are humans of the Frost Barbarian tribe though only 2 are actually barbarians, one is a ranger, one is a druid, one is a bard and the sixth is a dwarf rogue/fighter). This adventure is centered around these six characters, and they are ideally suited for the adventure. Ordinarily, I do not ask players (especially new ones) to play specific characters like this, but for this adventure it is almost a necessity. I am hoping that I can get a few people to pick one of these characters to play, with the understanding that it will only be for this one adventure (after which they will get to make a character of their own choice and design). Much about these six characters has already been decided, but they are not complete - the rest (such as most feats and skills) will be determined by the players. To learn more about the campaign and the characters, look up my name, Arkhemedes, on Obsidian Portal and find the Swordquest campaign. Link: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/swordquest

As a side note, there are a number of reasons why I am hoping to run the Swordquest campaign, one of the most important of which is that it deals with an event that will have a significant impact on the sand-box type campaign that I hope to run immediately following the Swordquest campaign. However, if I do not get enough players interested in playing the Swordquest campaign, I have many other options I can go with, the vast majority of which deal with converting 1e and 2e D&D modules (from several settings) to Pathfinder. The Swordquest campaign is only my first choice - but I would be perfectly happy going with any one of a dozen other ideas and settings I have.

Let me know if anyone is interested in the Swordquest or if anyone wants to know more about the other options.
    Last edited by Arkhemedes; 05-26-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If everything goes well tomorrow, I'll have a car of my own, and I'd be able to join in, if it's still cool. I am going to look at an old Buick in Grapevine, so if it goes well, I'd be happy to join in.
    "When all is said and done, you have two basic choices: do what's crazy, or do what's smart. And people of character do not stick with one such choice, but make the choice that is best for the situation" Myself
    Doromii

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As an update to the previous post, I currently have an opening for a player. Also, we are doing a Greyhawk campaign but it is not the Swordquest campaign described above. This campaign is set in and around the City of Greyhawk, the characters are now 2nd level (just started this campaign about 6 weeks ago) and I'm planning on running them until they're 20th+ level, alternating with the Ravenloft campaign for a few months every fall. We play every other Saturday.