Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Need help teaching a new player

Downloads
    Uploads

Need help teaching a new player

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    My wife recently decided to try her hand at Roleplaying. So she has no experience with rpg's at all. She is finding it hard to visualize what is going on and making decision that won't get her character killed.

I need help finding very straight forward simple adventures to help her get the feeling for the game and does anyone know if they produced monster cards ( ones that picture the monster) either to buy or as downloadable PDFs that I can print on card stock for her?

Thank you in advance.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never seen cards per se, but you can simply find images online and print them out for this personal use. It also may help the forget about the complexities of an adventure and start out with a few solo encounters she can do on her own, or with one other person. Pick a few scenarios - combat, using a skill, relying an on attribute (like strength), how npc's are used, etc. and weave them into a "day in the life" adventure - nothing with complex plot, really a series of easy learning encounters. Or make a short "go fetch" adventure that incorporates all this without having to keep lots of facts, maps, and interactions straight so she can focus on learning the mechanics and getting the flavor. Maybe even tracking down and getting some biological samples from a few monsters for a wizard - the NPC can be the tracker. The NPC can be the one who gets her out of trouble if things get over her head.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Help visualizing: get a battlemat and draw each "room" for her. Use tokens or minis.

How to not get killed: I really don't understand how this is such a chore for lots of players. If you wouldn't do it in real life, it could get you killed in the game. Do it Final Fantasy style: in combat, a character has four options only. FIGHT. ITEM. RUN. And a class-specific option. STEAL. That way, running away and surviving is always a 1 out of 4 option.
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.21
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdown...ownloadid=1087

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the responses. I recently bought a pack of dungeon tiles, so I am going to use those. I have never done an adventure using miniatures before, so I'm not overly sure how to do that. I was thinking of checking out YouTube and seeing if anyone has taped a game.

I think I will start with one room encounters and work from there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Going on YouTube and watching vids of people using minis is the way to go! More importantly, use of minis isn't as hard a thing as is often thought.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a funny video, if not an instructive one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmgLOKRl5J0

Fear of Girls!