Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: showthread_campaign in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: googlescript in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591
New Campaign Based on "Avatar: The Last Airbender" LFM (MD/DC/NoVA Area)
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Fantasy
System Used: BESM 2nd Edition
Style: 50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
Desired # of Players: 4
Game Location Street Address: 421 Northwest Drive
City: Silver Spring, MD
State: MD
Zip Code / Postal Code: 20901
Game Times Frequency: Biweekly
Days of Week: Saturday
Online Game Details Online Game?: No
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Google Map
Loading Map...

Thread: New Campaign Based on "Avatar: The Last Airbender" LFM (MD/DC/NoVA Area)

Downloads
    Uploads

New Campaign Based on "Avatar: The Last Airbender" LFM (MD/DC/NoVA Area)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have an idea for a new roleplaying campaign I'd like to run, based in the world of the animated series, "Avatar: The Last Airbender". Right now I'm trying to gauge the interest of folks in the DMV area, to see if I can gather together a core group of 4-6 committed players so I can move forward with the game. Right now my plan is to run the game on alternate Saturdays (on the "off" weeks of another campaign I'm currently involved in), with myself hosting the game in the Silver Spring area -- although that's subject to change, based on the schedules of interested players, where everybody is coming from, and anyone's willingness to host the game if they're in a more central location.

The basic premise is that the campaign takes place roughly 130 years after the events of "A:TLA" -- Avatar Aang and all the old, familiar faces are long gone; a new Avatar was born to the Northern Water Tribe roughly 40 years ago, and the four nations have settled into relative stability under his stewardship. In order to get the characters together into a group and give them a common purpose, the PC's would all be members of the Order of the White Lotus, or traveling companions with a member of the Order. The PC's will travel the world, doing their part to spread peace and harmony where it is most needed -- after all, even the Avatar can't be everywhere at once! Benders from all four nations would of course be welcome, as well as masters of the martial arts, spiritual gurus, or whatever else you might have in mind (subject to GM approval, of course -- Impress me! Convince me!)

One thing to note is that this campaign will NOT in any way be connected with the "future history" established by the new "Legend of Korra" spin-off series -- history has taken a different path in my world than in "A:LOK", and the presence of Benders has somewhat retarded technological advancement, so there's still no automobiles, no radios, and probably no Metal-Benders except for the occasional REALLY exceptional Earth-Bender who studied under Toph Beifong or some student of hers. There may be a limited amount of "steampunk"-type technology (including perhaps some NPC or even PC inventors, if someone's interested), but such devices are more of interesting curiosities than part of everyday life. There probably WILL be some sort of a non-aligned fifth nation, similar to LOK's "Republic City", formed by Avatar Aang at the site of the former Fire Nation colonies; it is a neutral ground, where members of all four nations live and work side-by-side, trading and learning from one another in an attempt to foster mutual understanding and cooperation.

My plan is for "Avatar: Tales of the White Lotus" to be a "closed" campaign, telling a specific story arc with a definite beginning, middle, and end. Of course, there's always room for various "side missions" and diversions, as there was in "A:TLA"; and if people really enjoy the campaign, I can always continue beyond that once the main story arc is complete. But my current vision is for the campaign to probably go somewhere around 30-40 sessions.

If you're interested in being a part of this campaign, or just want to find out more about it, you can sign up here, at the DMV HERO System Meetup Group. Please note, however, that we will NOT be using the HERO System for the game; my plan is to use 2nd Edition "Big Eyes, Small Mouth", which is much more fast-and-loose and easier to learn and use, and should be well-suited to the sort of grand, epic-scale action we see in the shows. Since White Wolf has discontinued the BESM product line original hardcopy rulebooks might be hard to come by, but PDF versions of the rules are out there just a five-minute "Google" search away...

If I can round up enough interest, I'm planning an initial meet-n'-greet sometime around May 12, where we can get together, talk about the campaign and characters, and watch some of the best episodes of the original series so the uninitiated can get a feel for what the world of "Avatar" is all about. (Pizza will probably be involved as well...)
    Last edited by Soleil Noir; 04-13-2012 at 06:18 AM.