Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Burnt out

Downloads
    Uploads

Burnt out

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Anyone else get burnt out on roleplaying?

It's all I can think about that's interesting most of the time. We play twice a week. I just can't think about it anymore, but it's all I can focus on.

Wat do you guys do to decompress from the constant run of numbers and stats that run through a gamers mind?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When we got burnt out, we would have a "B" Movie night, or play stupid games like "Wreck this Wish."

You might also want to go against the grain and run an evil one-night game, or try a different game ("OG" is good - a caveman game where you have a list of SEVENTEEN words you can use... and that's it. Just how do you describe an orc - or a dragon?)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I joined the SCA, built armor, and challenge my friends to one-on-one full contact battle. That opened my eyes to a lot of new gaming possibilities got me in shape and I met a lot of great people who talk about all sorts of stuff.

Play a different system. I got burned out on d20 cause it felt too much like work. I tried a couple rules-lite games like savage worlds and Simple 10 and it opened my eyes to a lot of creative influence without all the detail and work.

Step back and get out of the house. Find something non-game related to do.
    Randal Snyder
    Sundered Epoch.org

Downloads
    Uploads
    Play a system with less numbers, and one that doesn't require lots of numbers to do things.

Star Wars d6
    Last Unicorn Star Trek
    Tunnels & Trolls

It teachesyou that systems aren't real they are all made up, it's all you, making it up, most of i in your head. once you master that you can run any system.

You need to get to that spot in your mind where you don't think in numbers, you think in scenes. The numbers are the costumes. The players are the actors, the scenario is your story. You are the director.

Don't get lost following breadcrumbs into the forest of + for flanking, - for prone and all of that crap.

4 stalwart heroes, veterans of many risky adventures and campaigns stand astride a 1000 foot cliff. "The firece wind gusting to 25 miles per hour, whips your capes to and fro, as you spy through the viewing glass your arch nemesis Lord Zerkor, and his small fleet of four ships coming over the horizon, some 13 nautical miles away now. You estimate you have an hour before he makes landfall."

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

The battle-as-drama is good to a point. But make the battles support the overall story...not become the story.

Welcome to the life.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What game are you playing? Yeah, I agree the best thing would be to do something different. Play a board game, go out and get some exercise, get laid, do something (just kidding about the get laid part), variety is the spice of life.