Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: M.A.R. Barker, creator of Tekumel, dead at age 82

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

M.A.R. Barker, creator of Tekumel, dead at age 82

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Press Release: http://tekumelfoundation.org/PressRe...-1929-2012.pdf

Professor Muhammad Abd-al-Rahman Barker created the world of Tekumel, also known as The Empire of the Petal Throne. I was saddened to find out that he died at his home today.

Tekumel remains one of the most unique settings for rpgs yet devised. First published in 1974, it also is one of the earliest. Its Meso-American, Indian, and Middle Eastern influences stand in contrast to the overwhelming majority of fantasy rpgs based on western European cultures. The Empire of the Petal Throne rpg was published in five editions by Barker himself, TSR, Gamescience, Theater of the Mind, and lastly Guardians of Order, and was novelized in five books.

I was introduced to Tekumel from old Dragon Magazine articles in the late '70s, and then by reading The Man of Gold, the first Tekumel novel, shortly after it came out in 1984. Its mixture of lost technology and magic resembled Dave Arneson's Blackmoor setting, but of course with its own very distinct atmosphere. This may not be coincidental: Dave Arneson played in M.A.R. Barker's early games.

Tekumel gave me the first examples and methods for running adventures that significantly diverged from the "generic" fantasy setting. While I only came into possession of the actual rules a few years ago when I obtained TOME's Gardasiyal boxed set, published in the early '90s, I'll always consider the setting to be a major formative influence on my personal role-playing experience.

It was my understanding, though I haven't had the opportunity to confirm it today, that Professor Barker was still running Tekumel games well into his later years. Does anyone have anything they would like to share about the game and the setting or their experience playing or running Tekumel?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Empire was an OMG idea - and I still use critters and races from the campaign world.

Rest well, Dr. Barker. Your creature will live on in gamers everywhere.