Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Power Suggestions

Downloads
    Uploads

Tinkering with powers (mostly for grins)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Some time ago, I attempted to merge Supers! with the old Marvel Universe RPG. Like most projects, this was sort of a brain exercise. With all this talk of a 2nd Edition, I am wondering if some of that material would be useful. For example, in dealing with Regeneration (which can make a hero REALLY tough), I came up with this:

Regeneration
    The Hero regenerates his physical abilities (Brawn and/or Agility) every other round at a rate equal to his dice in the power. In addition, his healing rates out of combat are doubled. Healing can be applied to either Ability, or split among them, but must be specified when the power is purchased. For example, Dark Klaw has Regen 3d (Brawn 2d, Agility 1d). This means he regenerates a maximum of 2d Brawn and 1d Agility every other round.

BOOST:
    Improved Regeneration, 1d: the Hero regens as above every round, rather than every other round.

Mental Regen, 1d: the user can also heal damage from Mental attacks (i.e., Will or Composure).

Reconstitution, 3d: short of being completely dematerialized, the possessor of this power can regenerate his entire being if even one molecule of him is leftover, meaning he can survive almost anything, short of being vaporized in a nuclear blast.

Admittedly makes Regen more expensive, but I think addresses the balance issue to an extent.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

A stab at Telepathy:
    Telepathy
    You have the ability to do all sorts of cool things just using your mind.

Attack: You automatically have the power to attack a target’s mind at your purchased dice level. Mental attacks ignore most armor and invulnerability, and always attack and damage Willpower, unless the target has some other form of resistance.

Astral Projection, 1d: gain this power with this purchase.

Communicate with dead, 1d: you can speak with the deceased, though they may not wish to talk back.

Create psychic links, 1d: you can create links with people and communicate with them across vast distances. The maximum number of links you can create is one per dice in the power. You must be immobile and concentrating to use this option.

Empathy, 1d: you can sense/feel emotions of others.

Illusions, 1d: you gain this power as an additional option, but it only works at half your level (half the number of dice).

Mental Shield, 1d: Your Telepathy can be used in defense of Mental attacks, at the level at which you have purchased it.

Object Reading, 1d: you can handle objects to receive sense impressions or information about them (for example, who used them last, the history of the object, etc.)

Possession, 1d: You can control others to do your bidding. This requires you reduce their Will to 0 first. Once you do, they must do as you ask.

Repair Minds, 1d: You can heal mental damage equal to 1d per dice in your power. This MAY require a test, however.

Most of this could be done in any case with the current rules. This just makes the character pay for the abilities. The downside is it restricts creativity with the power (IMHO)

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Similar stuff with Control:

Control, Element
    The Hero has the ability to manipulate/control/be a specific element or range of elements.
    The Hero can automatically attack/defend himself with the power at his dice purchase level. The Ability to do more is purchased from the list, below.

Elements (1d for each additional element): Air/Gas, Concussive, Darkness, Earth, Electricity, Fire/Heat, Gravity, Ice/Cold, Kinetic/Vibration, Light, Magnetism, Radiation, Sonic, Water, Weather

BOOSTS:
    Ability Boost (each ability boosted), 1d: You may boost an ability or abilities when using the power, on a 1d for 1d basis. The Boost remains until you use the Ability, or until the Power is used for something else.

Absorb Element (heals user), 1d: When defending against the element, you may roll to absorb the damage. If the roll beats the attack, you heal at a rate equal to your dice your success margin (1d for each point of “damage” you “inflict” while absorbing).

Assume Elemental Form, 1d: You may assume the form(s) you control. Cannot be combined to with Absorption (you can’t absorb your own heat to heal yourself). While in Elemental form, you cannot be harmed by the element. While out of Elemental Form, you can be harmed, however.

Create/Manipulate, 1d: You can create shapes, barriers, etc. out of the element.

Free Force Field (armor) at ½ lvl, 2d: when using the element in any way, you automatically get Armor at half your total lvl, rounded down (EX: when using a “Fire Blast” at 5d, you’d automatically get a 2d Forcefield.

Immune to element, 1d: You cannot be harmed by the element, whether you are in Elemental Form or not.

Overstrain, 1d: You may channel your Willpower OR Brawn into using the element on a 1-for-1 basis, adding these dice to your power, but losing the dice from the ability. After using Overstrain, your Elemental power is “burnt out” for 1 round for each dice you added.

Movement Action with purchase, 1d: You get an appropriate travel power for free, at half the lvl of your power (EX: If I have “Ice Control 4d,” I might take “Ice Sliding 2d” as my travel power).

Regenerate while in Elemental Form, 1d: While in Elemental form (which you must purchase to use this), you regenerate physically at a rate equal to half your level.

This just combines the Control/Form powers into one palatte, while adding some options. Mimics such things as the Torch's power, which, rather than being several different things (Flight, Elemental Form, Elemental Control, etc)., is simply one power with multiple uses. It would be Elemental Control (Form, Movement Action, Immunity, Create/Manipukate, Overstrain (going Nova, and so on). Six of one, half a dozen of the other, as you can get the same thing with RAW.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------
    Now a stab at something "Bishop-like:"

Reflection
    The Hero can reflect elemental or energy attacks from him back on the attacker. Basically, this is a defense with a built in return attack (but only against elements/evergy, not fisticuffs or such things as bullets and the like). If the reflector’s defense roll exceeds the attacker’s roll, he is subject to an immediate attack from his own power, at a rate of 1d per point of “damage” incurred.

For example, say Fireball shoots a 3d blast at Reflect-o-matic, who has 5d reflection. The 3d blast totals out to a 9, while Reflect-o-matic’s defense roll is a whopping 23. The attack not only fails, but now Fireball is subject to a 2d attack from his own Fireball. The downside to this ability is that, if the reflector fails to reflect the attack, he absorbs +1d more damage than he normally would.

BOOSTS:
    Absorption: rather than reflect attacks, you can absorb them, storing each point of damage as 1d (up to the limit of your Power dice). You may then use the absorbed dice as a reflection attack at a time of your choosing.

Controlled Reflection: At your option, your reflection counterattack is returned in a form different from the actual power attack, making the target subject to a source different from what she attacked with (choose one specific Element or Energy for your reflection attacks).

Multi-Form Reflection: You have a wider variety of choices when it comes to reflecting attacks. For every 2d in your power (not counting this boost), you can choose a different Element or Energy form to reflect back at your attacker. As with normal reflection, you still retain the choice to return the attack back in its original form.

Heals: half of the energy you absorb can be used for healing your physical wounds (should you have any).

No Extra Damage: the reflector does not take the 1d extra damage if his reflection doesn’t work.

I don't think this is in the RAW, though I think you could do some form of Elemental Control, with a complication of "Must Absorb Attack" or something like that. It's sort of a take on Vampirism I suppose, though it's specified.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Anyway, as you can see, the powers are a codified more than regular Supers, which can be a downer for folks who prefer the open nature of the game. It's also a LOT more expensive, which is certainly a player turnoff. I think there may be some useful things to consider, though, in particular with such things as the limits of Regen, and the idea of detailing certain powers that, in play, seem nebulous to use. For example, Summoning. We had to houserule that one here when it was used. This led me to think about the power this way:

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Summoning
    The user can call forth Minions to do his bidding, effectively putting them to work for him. Simply roll the dice, and that’s how many Minions are generated. The Minions are then divided into 3-5 groups (the Summoner decides how many). The actual type of Minions are determined by the summoner himself. The Minions then serve the summoner until dispelled, sent away or defeated.

Minions are always summoned en toto, meaning the entire summoned group must be defeated or dispelled before a new group is summoned. For example, say Dr. Demonweaver brings forth 21 slathering horrors, which he divides into 3 groups of 7. Two of the groups are taken out in a pitched battle with Major Viktoryv leaving him with one group of 7 Minions. The good doctor could dispel his last group and summon 3-5 new groups, or wait until the last group is beaten before bringing forth additional minions to torment Viktory

Henchmen: Instead of minions, a summoner may instead summon a single Henchman to fight by his side. For each dice allocated to creating a Henchman, the summoner gets 2d to allocate to Abilities, Skills and Powers. Each henchman takes up one of the summoner’s “Will slots” as far as how many creatures he can control. Thus, if Dr. Demonweaver had 3d, he could control any number of henchman and/or Minions equal to 3.

BOOST:
    Minion Maintenance: The summoner may bring forth additional groups of Minions without dispelling groups or waiting for all of them to be defeated. This requires that the summoner make a Willpower check against a difficulty equal to 3 x #/groups active. For example, Dr. Demonweaver, having lost two groups of Minions, decides to bring forth 3 more to add to his remaining group of 7. The next round he summons 18 fire sprites in 3 groups of 6. He now has four groups active (3 plus the one he had leftover). To control them all, he must make a Will check of 12 (3 x 4 groups). If the check fails, he loses ALL the groups he would have had active. Note that each Henchman counts as a “group” for the purposes of this roll.

This adds a layer of complexity, but it's all group dependent (3x # of active groups). If your Will is high enough, you can generate a small army.
    Last edited by honestiago; 03-17-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Long post Mr E! Regeneration is an uber powerful ability, as demonstrated by one villain (Kraken, a Doc Oc type guy) and one hero (Mr America, 100% idiot paragon) from our old game. If you're in a fight with someone and they have regeneration and your only ability is to attack them physically, ugggh, what a grind.

Personally I don't like the regen every other round just because I tend to lose track of the rounds, that's just my mental malfunction. I think going the 2d = 1d regeneration is a good way to balance it out.

One other option, could have Regenration be something the user has to roll every round. For every 6 they roll, they heal 1d. It would be a action unless they take a 1d boost to make it a free action.

Hmmm, something to ponder.

I like the Reconstitution boost. I wonder if Mental Regeneration should be its own power, rather than having it as a boost?

Good stuff, I'll mine the rest of your post later

Downloads
    Uploads
    Regen could be an action. The hero would actually have to use an attack or defense to activate it. Or it could be as you mentioned with a "roll to heal.". The power is too cheap for what it does, that's for sure.