Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    If negotiations are successful, what are the penalties (if any) for double crossing them and attacking again when our position is more advantageous or their guard is down?

For example, a while ago we discussed the mechanic of coup de grace. I recall the determination being that it is an allowable mechanic but it carries a bit of "reputation" in the way that others view or treat you in the future. Does that sort of thing apply to double-crossing people as well?

After all, if they all end up dead, who's to say that we made an agreement in the first place?
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Aside from in-game reputational effects (which may or may not be desirable from the players' perspective), I find that double-crossing carries no particular mechanical penalties. However, if you're dealing with a party with Lawful Good, or even Good, characters, then they may have something to say about the double-cross, especially if the negotiations were made in good faith. Even though Rogur, as an Unaligned character, might be expected to go along with it, his particular brand of neutrality is more "leave me the hell alone," and "don't stir up more trouble." He would probably object pretty strongly to a strategy that involved damaging his reputation that way. As for ending up dead--Rogur has been using non-lethal damage for this whole encounter. He'll happily trounce them, but until he knows more about the situation, he's not willing to commit to a full-on killing spree, and the whole Matchless Gang/Temple thing is fraught with uncertainty, to say the least.

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I remember that one of Umi's house rules was that all characters must be on the "good" side of the spectrum, so I wondered if that had something to do with it. I'm not saying it would be a very good strategy, but it would be nice to recover some of those lost funds.
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I rather think Palp covered all that was to be said about breaking promises in the consequences of all that. As for the money, though agreeably we are a little light on magic items for our respective levels (which is a very simple thing in game play for Umi to take into account when designing encounters), we really don't have much need of the money. Money is money, the scribes are what we are here for (or at least part of it) which makes them much more important. If the MGs keep there end of the bargain, and agreeably that is a rather big if, then I think the money was well spent I say.

Yrisz would be a bit more draconic in her outlook, we promised, then we promised, end of story. She's think all this killing is rather wasteful, regardless of her personal doubts regarding merits that the MGs bring to society as a whole.

Umi, if Polon gets Zephyr even close enough to the door to limit Yrisz exposure to hazardous fire, she will gladly try to stabilize our poor half elf friend. That is of a primary concern.

It would look something like this:
    Move Action if needed to be next to Zephyr
    Minor: Put down vial so she has her hands free.
    Standard: Stabilize Zephyr
    * Diplomacy Heal to stabilize the Zephyr *

If not, well things haven't really broken down enough to risk feeding Noxias the vile. Though if they have by Yrisz turn, it would look something like this.

Minor Action: uncork vial
    Move: Examine vial making best guess (Does it seem magic potion, salve, or poison)
    * Arcana or History Check "What is this gooey stuff" *

Standard: Administer as healing potion unless she knows it to be otherwise, and thus she uses accordingly (unless it proves a weapon poison which she will abstain using).
    Free Action: Malk0lm rolls a new character.

I can't wait to hear what the MGs have to say.

Edit: Well that makes up for all the snake eyes I've been rolling in my Monster Hearts game...

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    11-03-2012 10:52 PM
    Diplomacy Heal to stabilize the Zephyr : 1d20 (14)+ 11 (11) = 25
    Arcana or History Check "What is this gooey stuff" : 1d20 (20)+ 8 (8) = 28
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #69 for Acqua Alta Finale

This post complements the sixty-ninth Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, November 6th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, November 8th.

Zephyr is successfully stabilized. The contents of the vial smell richly of wine, cheese, and onions, almost like a good soup. It's hard to tell in the light, but liquid might be dark.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, we're officially sending Polon back into the lion's den. But the lions have promised to behave themselves, so nothing bad could possibly happen, right?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I scanned the posts, but can someone give me the cliff note version of where we are at. Last time I remember, I was guiding Polon out of the room we were held captive looking for you guys.

Now that my proposals are in, I have a bit more free time. So, HOWDY!
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    If anything is going to happen Polon will be long dead before 30min has elapsed.

With that being said, I suggest skipping ahead to the point where combat rejoins or we are all safely out of there with a lighter purse.

Did Nox ever get that savory brew?
    Last edited by Malk0lm; 11-05-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: For speeling
    Quote:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome back, Yukonhorror. I'll leave it to the other players to catch you up. It's always a good exercise to compare the overall perception of the situation to my own.

The party is now reunited with Polon and the two scribes, and is seemingly left alone for the time being. It's time to decide what comes next.

Yrisz's actions contained a large number of conditionals, but it appears that she won't force Noxias to ingest the substance unless the situation deteriorates.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 11-06-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yukonhorror, welcome back! I don't have time to do a full summation either, but the gist of it is, we paid a ransom of 300 staters to rescue the remaining scribes and stop the Matchless Gang from fighting.

Umiushi, two things: 1) Rogur never actually paid the gang member in-game; do we hand-wave that and assume the transaction went smoothly, or do you want an in-game post? If the latter, will we see one of them again so we can fork over the coins? 2) Do the non-Polon members of the party have time to take a short rest?

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe the instructions were to leave the coins on the rickety bridge we all tried to cross but stumbled on.

So next move from here is to deposit the coins in the appropriate stacks and head back to that one building where the portal was? Meet up with the gal who we parted ways with earlier. We can say our goodbyes to Polon and company then.

I'm eager to start the next campaign with Nox and maybe get a night of sleep under our belt.
    Quote:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, had a few long days at work, so I wasn't minding things here...

Palp, it is as Malk said, we are to leave the funds on the the bridge in between the north and south 'bridge'. I say we pay, and be done. If we can manage a short rest, then we will have standing friends, which would be nicer then having to carry them back across.

Umi, as things haven't utterly fallen apart yet, Yrisz will carefully re-stopper her sinister soup. Can she take a tiny bit of it on her tongue to see if it makes it numb, suggesting a poison.

Oh, but do we have time for a short rest? That would be fantastic.

Rogur, do you want Yrisz to divvy out the bribe, or shall Rogur or Zephyr if he wakes up?
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The contents of the vial taste like they smell. It's full of umami and not necessarily unpleasant.

As usual, the way to find out if you have time to take a short rest is to rest and see whether or not you get interrupted before five minutes pass. To answer the question in terms of how much time has passed so far, Polon's return trip only takes between two to three minutes, tops. Although you may perform all sorts of activities right now, your main choices seem to be between trying that or prioritizing your exit from the premises. Before they even say anything, you can tell that the scribes are more than willing to leave immediately.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, I completely missed the instructions about the coins--sorry, all!

I'd like to finish up the short rest; if Polon takes three minutes, it doesn't seem unreasonable to spend two more minutes counting coins, briefing Noxias and Zephyr, and catching up with the scribes. Make sure we keep our weapons stowed, and don't make any overtly aggressive moves.

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nox has a full adventurer's kit but looks like it doesn't contain a candle.
    Quote: