Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Oh darn did not see that wall
    For the best then if peace talks are underway
    Konstansz will wait and see how things evolve.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do we have three aurons (gp) hanging around. I rather think not, but I'm not the keeper of money...

Finding the money might be a great excuse for Yrisz to stabilize Zephyr, though I'm a little unsure if she need walk into 'death alley' at this exact moment.

Hay, welcome back Cutopia! See, we didn't kill Konstansz while you were gone either, though it does rather look like we are in for a bit of trouble yet, unless Rogur is willing to offer some of his gold teeth into the bargain. I figure any pirate worth his salt has gold teeth you see...
    Last edited by Ithelryn; 10-28-2012 at 01:41 AM.
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Zephyr, the party treasurer, is carrying:
    443 staters
    33 aeres
    2 chaluns

So we do have enough for this ransom. While I'm reluctant to lose that much treasure, I'm even more reluctant to see this turn into a TPK, or for two or three families swear vendettas against the survivors of the party. It seems like one or the other of those outcomes is fairly likely at this point. Lesson learned: head-on assaults of defended positions work best when you have a party made up of more than 5 tired adventurers.

I vote we pay the ransom, but I'd like to hear from everybody.

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    IC: Yrisz is in for the pay off without question...it's just money in her eyes which doesn't compare to the worth of one life, especially sense we are talking about the lives of heros here (after dealing the fay issue most of the party is heros in Yrisz eyes).

OOC: Can we trust the MGs at all is a fairly arousing question. Though the ginger would loose more of his people betraying us, probably (unless he waited until we were in the boats leaving), but would he care. That said he could take the money off our corpse (assuming he survives), so even with the highly suspect nature of the MGs factored in it's worth a shot.

PS. I've changed my Story Post to reflect this Yrisz thoughts on this matter.
    Last edited by Ithelryn; 10-28-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #67 for Acqua Alta Finale

This post complements the sixty-seventh Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, October 30th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, November 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    . . . Umiushi, my intent for Rogur was to use Fleeting Ghost to "maintain" his hidden status as he made his attack. With that clarification, does that regain his extra 11 points of Sneak Attack damage? . . .
    Fleeting Ghost allows a character to make a Stealth Check after normal movement without the significant penalties associated with doing so, but unfortunately for Rogur's attack, it does not change the basic conditions necessary for a Stealth Check to lead to the condition of being hidden. Rogur does not yet have the ability to become hidden in plain sight, so he loses the benefits if he ends his move in a square within sight of his targets if he does not also enjoy superior cover or total concealment. In some limited cases at the beginning of combat characters' eyes may be trained in a certain direction, allowing a rogue to attacked unexpectedly from a different one, but in this situation, Rogur stepped into a square where and when his opponents expected an enemy to show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    . . . Umi, if I should have that alternate character ready sooner rather than later please message me and let me know. Thanks!
    Due to the results of this round, Noxias is out of danger. However, if you are concerned about the fate of your character, please review the section on "Serious Injuries" in this post: http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...238#post110238

The upshot is that I am not interested in repaying players for their months or years of participation by killing their characters off due to the vagaries of the dice. Players who wish to experience the added motivation that comes from risking their characters' existence may do so, but it is purely at their own discretion. In my opinion, the experience and injury penalties should stand as sufficient incentive to refrain from needlessly risky activity on the part of player characters.

While rereading the original post, I noted that I did not mention the potential abuse of this house rule. I think what follows is obvious, but while it's on my mind, I might as well mention that characters who willingly place themselves in lethal situations such as leaping into pits of lava or being shot through the heart with an arrow will probably be ruled as having committed suicide, of course after taking the context and discernible intent into account. Now that I have gone on record and stated that, I will edit the post to reflect the updated ruling.

Map:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-22.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	3857

Round Twenty-Two Combat Summary

Zephyr (Initiative Count 17)
    Expended: rope, sun rod, Action Point (encounter), Arcane Prodigy (encounter), Escalating Violence (encounter), Flame Spiral (encounter), Life Thane Rage, Savage Growl (encounter), 9 healing surges
    Hands Free: none
    Held: heavy war pick
    51 points of damage

No actions.

End of Turn: Zephyr saves vs. death.

Polon (Initiative Count 16)
    Expended: none
    Held: Zephyr
    9 points of damage

Standard Action: grab Noxias. (Automatic success. Polon is slowed.)
    Move Action: drag Noxias away. (Cost 2; normal - 2xN.)

Noxias (Initiative Count 15)

Expended: Action Point (encounter), 4 healing surges, Chill Strike (encounter), Fey Step (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Second Wind (encounter), Shield (encounter)
    Hands Free: one
    Held: staff
    36 points of damage

No actions.

End of Turn: Noxias saves vs. death.

Konstansz (Initiative Count 14)
    Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    Held: rod
    11 points of damage

4 temporary hit points

No action: delay turn.

Yrisz (Initiative Count 13)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Healing Word (encounter - none left), Second Wind (encounter), 5 healing surges
    Held: holy symbol (worn), mace, vial
    13 points of damage

Move Action: move next to Noxias. (Cost 2; normal - NW, W.)

Standard Action: work to save Noxias. (Stabilize. Heal Check - successful. Noxias is no longer dying.)

Minor Action: retrieve corked vial.

Rogur (Initiative Count 12)
    Expended: rope (one 50' length remaining), 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 27 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 2 healing surges, Positioning Strike (encounter), Second Wind (encounter), Trick Strike, Trickster's Blade (encounter)
    Held: sling (loaded)
    9 points of damage

Standard Action: work to heal Zephyr. (First Aid. Heal Check - unsuccessful.)

#4 (Initiative Count 10)
    Expended: 12 quarrels, Tag the Prey
    Held: crossbow

Move Action: move out of sight.

#3 (Initiative Count 9)
    Expended: Archery Commander, Inspiring Word, 1 healing surge, 5 quarrels
    Held: crossbow (loaded)
    17 points of damage

Move Action: step around the corner. (Cost 1; shift - S.)

Standard Action: ready action.

Protagonist Results Summary
    Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 2 healing surges.

Konstansz is walking in shadow.
    Konstanz has taken 11 points of damage.

Konstansz has 4 temporary hit points

Noxias has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Noxias has cast Chill Strike, Fireburst (daily), Flaming Sphere (daily), and Shield.
    Noxias has used Fey Step, and Second Wind.
    Noxias is prone.
    Noxias is unconscious.
    Noxias has spent 4 healing surges.
    Noxias has taken 36 points of damage.

Polon is slowed.
    Polon has taken 9 points of damage.

Rogur has expended 1 potion of healing, rope, 7 crossbow bolts and 27 sling bullets.
    Rogur has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Rogur has employed Positioning Strike, Second Wind, Trick Strike (daily), and Trickster's Blade.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur has spent 2 healing surges.

Rogur has taken 9 points of damage.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Yrisz has cast Channel Divinity, Cure Light Wounds (daily), and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz has used two Healing Words and her Second Wind.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz is #4's quarry.
    Yrisz has spent 5 healing surges.

Yrisz has taken 13 points of damage.

Zephyr has used his length of rope and a sun rod.
    Zephyr has expended Arcane Prodigy, Escalating Violence, Flame Spiral, Life Thane Rage (daily), and Savage Growl.
    Zephyr is using non-lethal attacks.
    Zephyr has spent 1 action point (none remaining).
    Zephyr is prone.
    Zephyr is dying.
    Zephyr has spent 9 healing surges.
    Zephyr has taken 51 points of damage.

Enemy Negative Effects Summary
    #1 is out of combat.

#2 is dead.

#4 is cursed.

#6 is unconscious.

#7 is dead.

#8 Tinog is dead.

#9 is unconscious.

Enemy Damage Summary

#1 - out of combat with 51 points of damage

#2 - slain by 46 points of damage

#3 - 17 points of damage

#6 - unconscious with 49 points of damage

#7 - slain by 10 points of damage

#8 - Tinog was slain by 38 points of damage.

#9 - unconscious with 31 points of damage.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 10-30-2012 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Yrisz retrieves the corked vial found on the dragonborn

Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks like Nox is out for this round, so he doesn't get to vote. Polon I think has already made his mind clear.

Honestly speaking as myself, I'm a little weary of the fighting and would like to rest and recuperate my characters, one major battle per day of game time is enough for me. However, I don't mind the team wipe in this instance. I think we've played pretty admirably and no one has really done anything stupid. Some guys had some lucky shots and were pretty devastating. If we wanted to fight it out I would be fine with that. Or if they double crossed us I would be gunning for revenge not running away with a lighter purse and none of Polon's friends.

So, in that case Polon will move S and feign to pull Zephyr out of the way diagonally, but will attack #3 or anyone else coming around the corner on a trigger.

Polon
    Move: South
    Std: Attack nearest enemy if negotiations break down. Otherwise, actually grab Zeph and drag him out of the hallway next to Nox.
    * Minion of Kromodtin *

* Radiant Striker *

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    10-29-2012 11:49 AM
    Minion of Kromodtin: 1d20 (6)+ 8 (8) = 14
    Radiant Striker: 3d6 (3,6,4 = 13) + 6 (6)+ 1d6 (3) = 22
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, I knew that I had used two healing potions, but I did not check if somebody else had used the third...which Rogur had, now that you mention it.

But the possible healing potion I was referring to was one of those corked bottles (bottle?) that we had pulled off an earlier MG, the one that I rolled a natural 20 on a Arcana check and thus concluded that it was not a bomb and was meant for ingestion, though the effects are still unknown as it would take some hours (?) or at least a short rest to figure out what it was conclusively. I figured that Yrisz would pull that bottle out just in case the shooting started again and thus it might be worth skipping to the clinical trials on said substance. Worst that happens is Noxias is super powered, in his dream state...unless it proves to be poison, which would be unfortunate.

~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually (I just checked my updated character sheet), what I'm exactly referring to are the three corked vials from the bag the Dragon Born carried, you all remember that piece of work (he really beat us up in the first room of the North house).

"From Yrisz's Perception Check, she discerns that the vials are unmarked, and not fancy. From their feel and balance, the contents are liquid. They do look like the kind of "potion vials" that might be for sale in an apothecary's shop: they are made so that they can be quickly used. They do not look like the sort of bottles that are not intended to be opened, i.e. grenades. She also notices that they are new, and have not yet been used. There is no sign that they were ever opened after being initially filled and corked: for instance, the lips of the vials and the bases of the corks are unstained. It seems reasonable to conclude the following: these were for the dragonborn or one of its allies to use; they were intended to be used quickly; the containers are not meant to be directly applied to an unwilling subject, e.g. holy water vials, as ironic as that sounds."

Yup, there is all kinds of ways this can go wrong with this rather long shot. But Noxias is out of play and it's all I have for him that could possible get him back into play (other then a short rest)...

~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did not realize that was what you meant. I have edited the round to reflect Yrisz's actions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    I did not realize that was what you meant. I have edited the round to reflect Yrisz's actions.
    Not that I would, but could I resist somehow to drink whatever liquid that Yrisz has planned for Nox?
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not that I would, but could I resist somehow to drink whatever liquid that Yrisz has planned for Nox?

Don't worry (I hope), I'll do the whole thing as a one round action, which is to say that she will uncork the vial, and at least try to guess at its use (poison, solve, or healing potion) before stuffing it down Noxias throat. She's an excellent doctor but a horrid herbalist (no knowledge skills to speak of), so it's a bit of a suspect move on my part, but if the shooting starts up again it might be the only chance (however slim) of getting Noxias and Zephyr back into what Palp has identified as having the ability to become a full party kill scenario, so I'll take it.

That said, Malk0lm, if you don't want me to try, I will not. I respect player's rights over their characters even if their character wouldn't have a choose in the matter.

Unfortunately, as Umi's thoughts did not slip towards the use of the vial, it actually speaks against the action and not for it.

If the shooting doesn't re-start by the beginning of her turn, then Yrisz will not even open the vial at this point.

Also, could somebody be a dear and pull Zephyr out of the hall of death so Yrisz can stabilize him without the need of walking in front of the MGs, they kind of have this thing about filling her full of sharp items of late, and I'd rather not tempt or indulge this hobby of there's by making her available.

If not, she will try go out there to stabilize Zephyr in a round or so that he might not die.

~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's fine you can force feed him whatever it is, and if it something unsavory, so much the better! Reminds me of that scene in Minority Report when they give him a rotten sandwich instead of a good one.

Polon is moving Zephyr, maybe, out of the way.
    Quote:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think Cutopia has weighed in on ransom vs. fight, but it looks like we have a majority in any case.

I don't have time to make a proper post right now, but please assume Rogur will continue negotiations, agreeing to the 300 stater ransom in return for a) all of the scribes returned safe & sound, and b) safe passage out of the compound. Anybody else feel free to chime in if I'm forgetting any obvious conditions. Umiushi likes to throw us for a loop every once in a while, I've noticed.

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well done Rogur, I had not thought about the safe passage for all out of the compound!

If this works out Malk, Noxias will not have to eat his filth sandwich...I so hated that scene (it almost made me through up in the theater, which does make it memorable), but I really did enjoy Minority Report, especially the scene when they are walking through the mall and the precog is telling the protagonist to do all these things (like pick up an umbrella in the beginning of the scene which isn't needed until the end).

Be well all.

~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main Post #68

This is the sixty-eighth Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, November 3rd. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, November 5th.

The response to the negotiations should be posted in the narrative thread when time permits.

The answer to the question depends on the context. As a player, certainly, since player cooperation is paramount, and this is already demonstrated in the interaction between the two of you. As a character, the answer is no, though. Noxias is currently unconscious. The condition of unconsciousness includes the condition of being helpless. Helpless characters cannot offer resistance to actions done to them. They can be dragged about, disarmed, robbed, used as ritual components, and fed potions.

Map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-23.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	3858

Round Twenty-Three Combat Summary

Zephyr (Initiative Count 17)
    Expended: rope, sun rod, Action Point (encounter), Arcane Prodigy (encounter), Escalating Violence (encounter), Flame Spiral (encounter), Life Thane Rage, Savage Growl (encounter), 9 healing surges
    Held: heavy war pick
    51 points of damage

No actions.

End of Turn: Zephyr is dying. (Zephyr saves vs. death and rolls a 14 - no change.)

Polon (Initiative Count 16)
    Expended: none
    Held: Zephyr

Move Action: move south. (Cost 1; normal - S.)

Standard Action: ready action. (Trigger - negotiations break down. Conjure Minion of Kromodtin targeting nearest enemy.)

Noxias (Initiative Count 15)
    Expended: Action Point (encounter), 4 healing surges, Chill Strike (encounter), Fey Step (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Second Wind (encounter), Shield (encounter)
    Held: staff
    36 points of damage

No actions.

Konstansz (Initiative Count 14)
    Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    Held: rod
    11 points of damage

4 temporary hit points

No action: delay turn.

Yrisz (Initiative Count 13)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Healing Word (encounter - none left), Second Wind (encounter), 5 healing surges
    Held: holy symbol (worn), mace, vial
    13 points of damage

Move Action: move next to Noxias. (Cost 2; normal - NW, W.)

Standard Action: work to save Noxias. (Stabilize. Heal Check - successful. Noxias is no longer dying.)

Minor Action: retrieve corked vial.

Rogur (Initiative Count 12)
    Expended: rope (one 50' length remaining), 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 27 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 2 healing surges, Positioning Strike (encounter), Second Wind (encounter), Trick Strike, Trickster's Blade (encounter)
    Held: sling (loaded)
    9 points of damage

Free Action: continue negotiations.

#4 (Initiative Count 10)
    Expended: 12 quarrels, Tag the Prey

Out of sight.

#3 (Initiative Count 9)
    Expended: Archery Commander, Inspiring Word, 1 healing surge, 5 quarrels
    17 points of damage

Free Action: continue negotiations.

Standard Action: ready action.

Protagonist Results Summary
    Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 2 healing surges.

Konstansz is walking in shadow.
    Konstanz has taken 11 points of damage.

Konstansz has 4 temporary hit points

Noxias has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Noxias has cast Chill Strike, Fireburst (daily), Flaming Sphere (daily), and Shield.
    Noxias has used Fey Step, and Second Wind.
    Noxias is prone.
    Noxias is unconscious.
    Noxias has spent 4 healing surges.
    Noxias has taken 36 points of damage.

Polon has taken 9 points of damage.

Rogur has expended 1 potion of healing, rope, 7 crossbow bolts and 27 sling bullets.
    Rogur has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Rogur has employed Positioning Strike, Second Wind, Trick Strike (daily), and Trickster's Blade.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur has spent 2 healing surges.

Rogur has taken 9 points of damage.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Yrisz has cast Channel Divinity, Cure Light Wounds (daily), and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz has used two Healing Words and her Second Wind.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz is #4's quarry.
    Yrisz has spent 5 healing surges.

Yrisz has taken 13 points of damage.

Zephyr has used his length of rope and a sun rod.
    Zephyr has expended Arcane Prodigy, Escalating Violence, Flame Spiral, Life Thane Rage (daily), and Savage Growl.
    Zephyr is using non-lethal attacks.
    Zephyr has spent 1 action point (none remaining).
    Zephyr is prone.
    Zephyr is dying.
    Zephyr has spent 9 healing surges.
    Zephyr has taken 51 points of damage.

Enemy Negative Effects Summary
    #1 is out of combat.

#2 is dead.

#4 is cursed.

#6 is unconscious.

#7 is dead.

#8 Tinog is dead.

#9 is unconscious.

Enemy Damage Summary

#1 - out of combat with 51 points of damage

#2 - slain by 46 points of damage

#3 - 17 points of damage

#6 - unconscious with 49 points of damage

#7 - slain by 10 points of damage

#8 - Tinog was slain by 38 points of damage.

#9 - unconscious with 31 points of damage.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 11-01-2012 at 03:43 AM.