Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Konstansz will wait for Rogur and Noxias to position themselves to get #2. Once they have finished their turns then she'd like to take whatever vantage point is left and curse and eldritch blast #2 if that is possible.

* eldritch blast if possible *

* eldritch blast damage *

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-25-2012 12:32 AM
    eldritch blast if possible: 1d20 (18)+ 7 (7) = 25
    eldritch blast damage: 1d10 (5)+ 6 (6)+ 1d6 (5) = 16

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cutopia View Post
    Where did #1 go? Wasn't he the spearman Konstansz was blasting? Looking around at the posts, I'm completely failing to see what happened to him ><
    Konstanz blasted him but good:
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post

Konstansz (Initiative Count 18)
    Standard Action: cast Eldritch Blast at #1. (Ranged Rod vs. Reflex at distance 2 - hits. #1 takes 12 points of damage and is bloodied.)

Umiushi, thanks for the reminder on the terrain. Since the door is closed and Rogur doesn't yet know the situation, he won't be traipsing across it just now, but I'll hold it out as a possibility for the future.

Rogur, Round Seventeen
    Move: (Fleeting Ghost) SE, SE, S, S. Crack open door.
    * Rogur - Stealth - Hide from anybody on the other side of the door *

Minor: Open door
    Free: Talk to Noxias
    Standard: Second Wind (+2 to defenses until EoT)

09-25-2012 07:51 AM
    Rogur - Stealth - Hide from anybody on the other side of the door: 1d20 (10)+ 11 (11) = 21

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    Konstanz blasted him but good:

Umiushi, thanks for the reminder on the terrain. Since the door is closed and Rogur doesn't yet know the situation, he won't be traipsing across it just now, but I'll hold it out as a possibility for the future.

Rogur, Round Seventeen
    Move: (Fleeting Ghost) SE, SE, S, S. Crack open door.
    * Rogur - Stealth - Hide from anybody on the other side of the door *

Minor: Open door
    Free: Talk to Noxias
    Standard: Second Wind (+2 to defenses until EoT)
    I think I'm higher in the order than you, so by the time you move there I should have already opened the door, right?

09-25-2012 01:14 PM
    Rogur - Stealth - Hide from anybody on the other side of the door: 1d20 (15)+ 11 (11) = 26
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The door to which I was referring is the one between the room with the stairs (where Rogur starts his turn) and the room where Noxias is currently located. I understood that Noxias would be opening the door to which he is currently adjacent. If I'm mistaken and the interior door is not still closed on Rogur's turn, Umiushi, please amend Rogur's move action to place him just west of Noxias. His other actions remain the same.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry I've been so quiet of late, I'm in the process of moving house (which was supposed to have happened last month). I thought it wouldn't effect my posting, but it really is.

Anyway, Yrisz doesn't have much to do at this point, tapped out of healing and with no attacks that have any ranges that matter at the moment. She's also going to be super slow if she crosses buildings via the wall as she is very likely to end up trying to swim in the drink wearing chain mail if she tries the quick path. I almost wiped a entire party out on an easy encounter that very way, and thus am not looking for a repeat performance. She will use this turn to move up behind Noxias and Rogur.

I am right that we've check all the rooms that we've passed so far? Right?
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main Post #58

This is the fifty-eighth Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, September 29th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, October 1st.

So it looks like Yukonhorror may well be too busy, which means it's up to the rest of you to finish this combat round. To that end, I will try to put up the companion character sheets before Saturday, and I've gone ahead and rolled initiative for them.

I probably should have done something about their turns myself, but this wasn't a good week for me to do so.

Normally, I don't include status reports when a combat round is still in progress, but I'm using it here as a placeholder.

Map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-17a.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	3827

Round Seventeen (In Progress)

Yrisz (Initiative Count 22)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Healing Word (encounter - none left), Second Wind (encounter), 5 healing surges
    Hands Free: one
    Held: holy symbol (worn), mace
    13 points of damage

Move Action: move behind Rogur and Noxias. (Cost 2; normal - SW; difficult terrain.)

Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    Held: rod
    4 temporary hit points

No Action: delay turn.

#2 (Initiative Count 11)

Expended: 1 quarrel, Hounding Assault
    Held: hand crossbow (loaded), short sword

Move Action: engage Zephyr. (Cost 4; normal - 2xSW, 2xS.)

Standard Action: slice up Zephyr. (Hounding Assault. Melee Fearful Light Blade vs. AC - misses by 4. Zephyr takes 8 points of damage.)

Rogur (Initiative Count 7+)
    Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 26 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 2 healing surges, Positioning Strike (encounter), Second Wind (encounter), Trick Strike, Trickster's Blade (encounter)
    Hands Free: none
    Held: sling (loaded), short sword
    9 points of damage

Move Action: head to the door. (Cost 3; Fleeting Ghost - 2xSE, S.)

Minor Action: open door.

Standard Action: Second Wind. (Rogur spends a healing surge and regains 10 hit points. Rogur gains +2 to all defenses.)

Zephyr (Initiative Count 7)
    Expended: rope, sun rod, Action Point (encounter), Arcane Prodigy (encounter), Flame Spiral (encounter), Life Thane Rage, 9 healing surges
    Held: heavy war pick
    13 points of damage

Zephyr's actions.

Polon (Initiative Count 5+)
    Expended: none
    Hands Free: both
    Held: nothing
    Polon's actions.

Noxias (Initiative Count 5)

Expended: Action Point (encounter), 4 healing surges, Chill Strike (encounter), Fey Step (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Second Wind (encounter), Shield (encounter)
    Held: staff
    27 points of damage

Standard Action: ready action. (Scorching Burst. Trigger - when an enemy enters possible area of effect.)

Protagonist Results Summary
    Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 2 healing surges.

Konstanz has taken 11 points of damage.

Konstansz has 4 temporary hit points

Noxias has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Noxias has cast Chill Strike, Fireburst (daily), Flaming Sphere (daily), and Shield.
    Noxias has used Fey Step, and Second Wind.
    Noxias is bloodied.
    Noxias has spent 4 healing surges.
    Noxias has taken 27 points of damage.

Polon is normal.

Rogur has expended 1 potion of healing, rope, 7 crossbow bolts and 26 sling bullets.
    Rogur has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Rogur has employed Positioning Strike, Second Wind, Trick Strike (daily), and Trickster's Blade.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur is taking his Second Wind.
    Rogur has spent 2 healing surges.

Rogur has taken 9 points of damage.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Yrisz has cast Channel Divinity, Cure Light Wounds (daily), and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz has used two Healing Words and her Second Wind.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz is #4's quarry.
    Yrisz has spent 5 healing surges.

Yrisz has taken 13 points of damage.

Zephyr has used his length of rope and a sun rod.
    Zephyr has expended Arcane Prodigy, Flame Spiral, Life Thane Rage (daily).
    Zephyr is using non-lethal attacks.
    Zephyr has spent 1 action point (none remaining).
    Zephyr has spent 9 healing surges.
    Zephyr has taken 13 points of damage.

Enemy Negative Effects Summary
    #1 is out of combat.

#4 is cursed.

#6 is unconscious.

#7 is dead.

#8 Tinog is dead.

Enemy Damage Summary

#1 - out of combat with 51 points of damage

#3 - 6 points of damage

#6 - unconscious with 49 points of damage

#7 - slain by 10 points of damage

#8 - Tinog was slain by 38 points of damage.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm happy to help run one of the companion characters, but I'd hate to hog all the fun. If the others wish to split up the duties amongst themselves, that's fine; I'm nothing if not accommodating. --T

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gah, I was thinking of where Rogur was going to be when I made my request. Rather forgot that I move first. I think that Yrisz will use the rest of her movement to stay behind Rogur (though technically he will go after, but do to the simultaneity of the round it should work).

Standard as a move: S,S,E,E

or

Palpatim, if you want, Yrisz can use her Standard action to trigger Rogur's Second Wind, leaving you with a standard action to get you into the game.Then her move would be S,S,E as she doesn't have anything left.

I understand that Umi would have to approve this thought as it changes what has already been semi-set.

Lastly, I'll be really scarce now, as my computer is going to in it's nice little box for a little while.
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Ithelryn,

Let's leave Rogur's action as-is for now. Rogur isn't totally convinced that running across the narrow bridge is the best idea, and without some in-game knowledge that Zephyr is on the other side, there's no reason to rush things. Appreciate the offer, though.

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main Post #59

This is the fifty-ninth Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, October 2nd. The next main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, October 4th.

For now, Palpatim will run Zephyr when Yukonhorror is unavailable. I will run Polon until another player steps forward to do so. The round and map are updated based on Yrisz's additional movement.

While we have some additional time to kill, I would like to suggest that all of you send me the name and source book of the 5th level Daily Power you are interested in acquiring. If you would like to say something about that daily power in terms of how it relates to your character's development, feel free to do so, but please confine your discussion to setting and theme-related comments; the game mechanics angle is your own concern.

Also, and this second part is one hundred percent optional, if you wish to make a second character, talk to me and we can get the process underway. A second character may be useful in certain circumstances, but I cannot guarantee anything about when or even if such a character will come into play. Therefore, if you are likely to become wedded to thought of playing the character you create, I would suggest you forgo this opportunity, at least for now.

Map: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-17b.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	3829

Round Seventeen (In Progress)
    Yrisz (Initiative Count 22)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Healing Word (encounter - none left), Second Wind (encounter), 5 healing surges
    Held: holy symbol (worn), mace
    13 points of damage

Double Move Action: move behind Rogur and Noxias. (Cost 6; normal - SW, 2xS, 2xE; 1 square of difficult terrain.)

Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    Held: rod
    4 temporary hit points

No Action: delay turn.

#2 (Initiative Count 11)

Expended: 1 quarrel, Hounding Assault
    Held: hand crossbow (loaded), short sword

Move Action: engage Zephyr. (Cost 4; normal - 2xSW, 2xS.)

Standard Action: slice up Zephyr. (Hounding Assault. Melee Fearful Light Blade vs. AC - misses by 4. Zephyr takes 8 points of damage.)

Rogur (Initiative Count 7+)
    Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 26 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 2 healing surges, Positioning Strike (encounter), Second Wind (encounter), Trick Strike, Trickster's Blade (encounter)
    Held: sling (loaded), short sword
    9 points of damage

Move Action: head to the door. (Cost 3; Fleeting Ghost - 2xSE, S.)

Standard Action: Second Wind. (Rogur spends a healing surge and regains 10 hit points. Rogur gains +2 to all defenses.)

Zephyr (Initiative Count 7)
    Expended: rope, sun rod, Action Point (encounter), Arcane Prodigy (encounter), Flame Spiral (encounter), Life Thane Rage, 9 healing surges
    Held: heavy war pick
    13 points of damage

Zephyr's actions.

Polon (Initiative Count 5+)
    Expended: none
    Hands Free: both
    Held: nothing

Polon's actions.

Noxias (Initiative Count 5)

Expended: Action Point (encounter), 4 healing surges, Chill Strike (encounter), Fey Step (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Second Wind (encounter), Shield (encounter)
    Held: staff
    27 points of damage

Standard Action: ready action. (Scorching Burst. Trigger - when an enemy enters possible area of effect.)

Protagonist Results Summary
    Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 2 healing surges.

Konstanz has taken 11 points of damage.

Konstansz has 4 temporary hit points

Noxias has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Noxias has cast Chill Strike, Fireburst (daily), Flaming Sphere (daily), and Shield.
    Noxias has used Fey Step, and Second Wind.
    Noxias is bloodied.
    Noxias has spent 4 healing surges.
    Noxias has taken 27 points of damage.

Polon is normal.

Rogur has expended 1 potion of healing, rope, 7 crossbow bolts and 26 sling bullets.
    Rogur has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Rogur has employed Positioning Strike, Second Wind, Trick Strike (daily), and Trickster's Blade.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur is taking his Second Wind.
    Rogur has spent 2 healing surges.

Rogur has taken 9 points of damage.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Yrisz has cast Channel Divinity, Cure Light Wounds (daily), and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz has used two Healing Words and her Second Wind.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz is #4's quarry.
    Yrisz has spent 5 healing surges.

Yrisz has taken 13 points of damage.

Zephyr has used his length of rope and a sun rod.
    Zephyr has expended Arcane Prodigy, Flame Spiral, Life Thane Rage (daily).
    Zephyr is using non-lethal attacks.
    Zephyr has spent 1 action point (none remaining).
    Zephyr has spent 9 healing surges.
    Zephyr has taken 13 points of damage.

Enemy Negative Effects Summary
    #1 is out of combat.

#4 is cursed.

#6 is unconscious.

#7 is dead.

#8 Tinog is dead.

Enemy Damage Summary

#1 - out of combat with 51 points of damage

#3 - 6 points of damage

#6 - unconscious with 49 points of damage

#7 - slain by 10 points of damage

#8 - Tinog was slain by 38 points of damage.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Umiushi,

I think Rogur is still a couple of encounters away from Level 5, but when the time comes, I'm thinking of "Go for the Eyes", Martial Power 2, p. 61. (On a side note, am I the only one who consistently types "Marital Power" whenever I attempt to write the name of that sourcebook series? Oh, just me then. Hmm.)

Next, would you be able to expand upon your call for a second character? Is this intended to be a character in addition to, or in replacement of, our current characters? Would they be full PCs, or companions? Should we be worried about our current heroes?

Finally, Zephyr's turn:

Zephyr, Round Seventeen
    Move: None
    Minor: Examine room beyond--can he see across the gap to Noxias? If so, substitute a Free for his Move and call out to Noxias.
    Standard:
    * Zephyr - Escalating Violence melee vs. AC *
    * Zephyr - Melee damage (If Zephyr takes damage SNT, he gains +2 to attack and dmg for his next attack) *

Free: If attack hits, Savage Growl

--T

10-01-2012 07:43 AM
    Zephyr - Escalating Violence melee vs. AC: 1d20 (11)+ 10 (10) = 21
    Zephyr - Melee damage (If Zephyr takes damage SNT, he gains +2 to attack and dmg for his next attack): 2d12 (11,4 = 15) + 5 (5) = 20

Downloads
    Uploads
    Umi, if I move 3 squares south will I be able to hit #2?
    What is the Athletics roll for that since it's only one more than the 2 which I think you said was automatic success?
    Will we see a companion version of Zeph?
    I can run Polon if you want to offload some of your work but I would like a character sheet and maybe some back story or at the very least a statement of goals for what Polon is trying to do next. If you recall I joined the team shortly after arriving in the fey-wild so the history with Polon is not really part of my knowledge base. I couldn't speculate on what he wants.
    Will you be recruiting more players soon?
    What is the solution to 2x+1=3x-2?
    Can you expand on discouraging us from making another one if we might become wedded to the idea of playing them? Does that mean that you would likely take the character we create and use it as an NPC? Or does that mean that if you are likely to become impatient waiting for your new character to appear in the game then maybe you should not worry about it at the moment?
    How many questions can I ask in one post before I reach my quota?

Thanks!
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    . . .

Next, would you be able to expand upon your call for a second character? Is this intended to be a character in addition to, or in replacement of, our current characters? Would they be full PCs, or companions? Should we be worried about our current heroes?

. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    Umi, if I move 3 squares south will I be able to hit #2?
    What is the Athletics roll for that since it's only one more than the 2 which I think you said was automatic success?
    Will we see a companion version of Zeph?
    I can run Polon if you want to offload some of your work but I would like a character sheet and maybe some back story or at the very least a statement of goals for what Polon is trying to do next. If you recall I joined the team shortly after arriving in the fey-wild so the history with Polon is not really part of my knowledge base. I couldn't speculate on what he wants.
    Will you be recruiting more players soon?
    What is the solution to 2x+1=3x-2?
    Can you expand on discouraging us from making another one if we might become wedded to the idea of playing them? Does that mean that you would likely take the character we create and use it as an NPC? Or does that mean that if you are likely to become impatient waiting for your new character to appear in the game then maybe you should not worry about it at the moment?
    How many questions can I ask in one post before I reach my quota?

Thanks!
    Yes, if Noxias moved 3 squares south, he'd be able to shoot through the window and catch #2 in the blast, but at -5 on his attack roll.

The Athletics roll doesn't scale smoothly with movement. A speed of 2 squares or less is an automatic success; that of 3 squares or more requires a DC 10 Acrobatics (not Athletics) Check.

Zephyr and Polon were posted to the Characters thread last Friday. They are posts #68 and #67, respectively. Look for Polon's play notes in the upper portion of his entry. As for his back story, based on what the party's uncovered and his own testimonials to Zephyr, he's the son of Duvek, an elf, and Iniusy, a human. Iniusy, his mother, worked as a bookseller for the Magus of the Scriptorium and Library of Saint Ioun in Beilston. When she became too frail to continue her work, his father took over. Polon himself was apprenticed to the Magus, and when he died, to his successor, a wizard named Erszebet. Erszebet set Polon to gathering research materials for a ritual she was attempting to change the weather using influence from the Feywild. Recently, Polon came to the realization that the ritual risked flooding the entire valley. When his attempts to bring this to Erszebet's attention were rebuffed, he made a warlock's contract and then set out, yesterday morning in fact, to alert the authorities, but was kidnapped by the Matchless Gang almost as soon as he set foot outside the tower.

If Yukonhorror proves to be too busy to continue, we will be down to four players, which is within my comfort zone, but it's at the low end, so yes, I will probably start looking for a new player to join. My goal for the play-by-post game is to always have the party consist of four to six players. I will go lower if necessary, because I am willing to continue as long as there's even one player; and I will go higher if there's very strong, credible demand, but that is hard to measure.

I'm going to go with x = 3, assuming I read the operators correctly. Why?

You can ask as many questions as you need to, as long as you can reasonably match my answers to your questions.

Now to address the questions both of you asked.

I cannot firmly answer most of them, because I have not solidified any plan regarding the second characters. They are not intended as additions in that I do not have any plans to have you run them at the same time as your first characters. As for their status as replacements, yes, they will come in handy if your current characters die. However, I should reiterate the house rule of the pbp game that your characters will only die with your permission or if you leave the game permanently. Currently, I'm considering Cocoa and Yukonhorror to be on temporary absences, so, as in the case of Cocoa, it's clear that I'm willing to consider very long absences temporary. All other absent players I have deemed to have permanently left the game, though.

Now, if you decide that you are willing to allow your primary character to die, then yes, these would be suitable replacements. They may also serve as replacements should your first character be separated from the party or incapacitated for a significant period.

However, the main reason for their existence is to give me an expanded array of options. With that in mind, it may be that I will not have cause to employ your second character, which is why I do not wish for you to make one if you will become too eager to play them; you may not get the chance.

I will not use second characters as NPCs, not unless they are first introduced and then their player abandons them.

Second characters will be made as full PCs, not as companions. I will make an exception if a player explicitly wishes to constitute the character as a companion, as was the case with JPatterson playing Dolan. Companions have fewer skills and options than PCs, but tend to be more accurate and damaging with the attacks they do possess. They can hold their own in combat, but are not as competent outside of combat.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Malk0lm,

You forgot "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladed swallow?"

Umiushi,

Thank you for the clarification. I've stated before that I have no objection to Rogur dying, and in fact thought he was going to bite it when he was downed by the slime in the confrontation in the Feywild. That said, I'm also intrigued by characters with flaws and limits, so I think we'll play that by ear, if and when it comes up. If it does arise, I hope it does so during a dramatically appropriate moment.

Do you have any race, class or background preferences for a second characters beyond what you've stated in the Guidelines threads? I know you don't usually care about things like party balance, and you're always careful to work with us on thematically appropriate backgrounds, but if you have anything particular in mind, it'd be good to know going in so we can give you some useful options to work with in the future.

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    Malk0lm,

You forgot "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladed swallow?"
    True, what I should have done is asked for the number of wing beats necessary to maintain that airspeed velocity. I'll never learn.
    Quote: