Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    A player-based approach to speeding combat is more difficult to implement, but perhaps less pressure-intensive, as long as you don't let the need for keeping to the deadline get the better of you. To that end, I am willing to discuss and brainstorm tactics to increase the likelihood of completing a round within the posting period. One idea I have is to recommend that everyone check the site once a day, if possible. The actual posting requirements are unchanged: only twice a week, but a daily check should suffice when there is a need to answer questions.

Also, it might be possible for me to ask questions at the end of the players' posting period, taking answers during my posting period, and preparing the combat round by the end of my posting period. This might be biting off more than we can chew, though, since it effectively doubles everyone's posting commitments. It's definitely something that we should test out first, before committing to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    . . .
    Second, I used to rely on the PPG notification system to alert me immediately whenever a post was made. Since that is no longer happening, I've been relying on a calendar alert to remind me to check in once a day, in the morning. A once-per-day reminder works to keep my posts on schedule, but makes it difficult to be an effective contributor in an active forum with posts coming in at arbitrary times throughout the week. Have you heard anything from Farcaster regarding a resolution to this?

. . .

To that end, and to reinforce my first point above: Is the window east of #1 low enough and large enough that successful forced movement would cause him to fall out of it? If so, would an attempt to force that movement incur any unusual penalties because of the size or position of that window? If yes to 1 and no to 2, Rogur will stupidly stay toe-to-toe with #1 and try to push him through it. If not, Rogur will abandon the up-close and personal attack in favor of a running and then hiding. Gotta get that Sneak Attack damage back into play if we're going to survive here.
    I have not heard back from Farcaster. In terms of the site's overall functionality, I do not have any higher standing than the rest of you. Perhaps if a number of us posted followups to the discussion, we might raise awareness of the issue. In my case, since I do not use the notification system, I feel that I might be at a disadvantage when describing the issue.

It is possible to push or slide #1 through the window, but he will get a saving throw against the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    . . .
    Alternatively we could consider moving to another board entirely or trying to use a Google+ hangout or something to accomplish the same activity?
    . . .
    I will consider, but am not particularly willing, to move to another site. I think one of two conditions would have to be satisfied, first. Since I have generally made it a policy to avoid requiring any kind of registration on the part of the players beyond the use of this site, and nearly all sites require some kind of registration, I wouldn't change sites unless there was unanimous consensus among the players to do so. The other condition would be if the environment here causes play to become unsustainable. There are many aspects of play here that are buggy, inconvenient, or sub-optimal, but none, in my opinion, make play intolerable. Also, my suspicion is that this would be true for any other site, so the question becomes one of whether the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages of both the site itself, and the move to the site.

Noxias N:
    Move S one
    Minor Shut the door
    Std: Burst vs 1 targeting the square one north of 1 (targeting the empty square so that R is not hit)

Noxias N+1:
    Assuming 1 is dead.
    Move: 4N next to rogur
    Std: Burst against first enemy to come through southern or sou'western door.

See, here is the tricky part about posting moves so far ahead. If 1 is dead before my burst then I would like to move north to rally with R and K.

EDIT: if the attack against 1 hits but isn't enough to kill him then can I use my Fiery Might? Or does that need to be declared beforehand?
    Since Noxias has shut the northern door, he has neither line of sight nor line of effect into the northern room. He would have to spend a minor action to open that door again, first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithelryn View Post
    . . .
    A revised move of s,e, n, n, n is in order. Then by my measure, she will not have line of sight on any of the villains (thus I lose that lovely roll from earlier, alway a risk). So she will use her standard to move again. I don't want to grant an attack of opportunity with #1 (and I'm a bit vague on the exact interactions of the levels) so feel free to stop or alter her movements accordingly Umi in case I've caused this. The finish turn should look like:

Move: S, E, N, N, N
    Standard as a move: NX2 (difficult terrain for stair), E, S, S
    For Yrisz's second move action, did you mean W when you wrote E? In terms of opportunity attacks, #1 threatens the square northwest of him, but not the one due north of him. It does look like Yrisz's second move would, whether going west or east, invite an opportunity attack, since she'll be leaving the threatened square northwest of #1. Assuming you meant west, the following move would not allow an opportunity attack: NE (cost 2), NW (cost 2), SW (cost 2), and 2xS. As the total cost of that move is 8, it would have to take more than one move action, probably spread across more than one turn.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 09-18-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    It is possible to push or slide #1 through the window, but he will get a saving throw against the effect.
    Thank you, that falls into the category of "not unexpected penalties," so Rogur will use the Trick Strike option on his turn.

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course, I forgot the door. I still want to shut the south door. Can I shut the south and open the north door in one turn?

I thought more about trying to get responses from everyone in a timely fashion, and I would be fine sharing my email with the group. Perhaps we can coordinate moves via email and then post after that? At the very least we can ping each other if there is an time sensitive question regarding the game?
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course, I forgot the door. I still want to shut the south door. Can I shut the south and open the north door in one turn?

I thought more about trying to get responses from everyone in a timely fashion, and I would be fine sharing my email with the group. Perhaps we can coordinate moves via email and then post after that? At the very least we can ping each other if there is an time sensitive question regarding the game?
    It's a good idea. I encourage the sharing of contact information, but on a strictly voluntary basis. I do not wish to presume upon anyone's privacy. As for myself, it's sad to say, but I'm afraid I check the private messages on this site more often than my email.

For the first question, you can, but not at the same time as an attack. It would look something like this:
    Minor Action: open northern door.
    Move Action: move south.
    Minor Action: close southern door.

That probably defeats any tactical intent you had, so it's probably best to break it up into two turns and fit a couple of standard actions into the mix.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For turn one it would be move south, close door. Then for the next turn would be move north, open door, maybe scorch someone?
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Konstansz switches her efforts to the spearman (she also curses him).

* Eldritch blast *

* Potential damage *

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-19-2012 11:47 AM
    Eldritch blast: 1d20 (11)+ 7 (7) = 18
    Potential damage: 1d10 (2)+ 6 (6)+ 1d6 (4) = 12

Downloads
    Uploads
    Umi, you are quite right about her movement being Westward and not east as I previously published. She will move in a way that doesn't attract the attack (of opportunity anyway) from #1 and thus follow as you have suggested with the understand that it might be a while before she enters the fray.

I'm sorry all, do to two utter movement miscalculation on my part (pointed out by Umi during earlier post) I shall not get poor Yrisz into this engagement until I guess that it will be quite over, which wouldn't usually be a problem except that all her remaining healing abilities require combat to administer (and not easily even at that). Again, sorry.
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #56 for Acqua Alta Finale

This post complements the fifty-sixth Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, September 22nd. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, September 24th.

So far, so good. Here's round sixteen and a reunion!

Map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-16.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	3818

Round Sixteen Combat Summary

Yrisz (Initiative Count 22)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Healing Word (encounter - none left), Second Wind (encounter), 5 healing surges
    Hands Free: one
    Held: holy symbol (worn), mace
    13 points of damage

Double Move Action: go to the upper floor. (Cost 9; normal - S, E, 3xN, NE, NW; 2 squares of difficult terrain.)

Konstansz (Initiative Count 18)
    Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    Held: rod
    4 temporary hit points

Minor Action: curse #1. (Warlock's Curse at distance 2. #1 is cursed.)

Standard Action: cast Eldritch Blast at #1. (Ranged Rod vs. Reflex at distance 2 - hits. #1 takes 12 points of damage and is bloodied.)

End of Turn: Fate of the Void effect ends.

#2 (Initiative Count 11)

Expended: 1 quarrel
    Held: hand crossbow (loaded), short sword

Standard Action: fire at Noxias. (Ranged Crossbow vs. AC at distance 10 - misses by 2.)

Free Action: load crossbow.

Minor Action: draw sword.

Rogur (Initiative Count 7)
    Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 26 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 1 healing surge, Positioning Strike (encounter), Trick Strike, Trickster's Blade (encounter)
    Hands Free: none
    Held: sling (loaded), short sword
    19 points of damage

Standard Action: take a Trick Strike against #1. (Melee Light Blade vs. AC - hits. #1 takes 17 points of damage, fails his saving throw, and slides out the window to the east.)
    Noxias (Initiative Count 5)
    Expended: Action Point (encounter), 4 healing surges, Chill Strike (encounter), Fey Step (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Second Wind (encounter), Shield (encounter)
    Held: staff
    27 points of damage

Move Action: go to the southern door. (Cost 1; normal - S.)

Minor Action: close the door.

Protagonist Results Summary
    Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 2 healing surges.

Konstanz has taken 11 points of damage.

Konstansz has 4 temporary hit points

Noxias has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Noxias has cast Chill Strike, Fireburst (daily), Flaming Sphere (daily), and Shield.
    Noxias has used Fey Step, and Second Wind.
    Noxias is bloodied.
    Noxias has spent 4 healing surges.
    Noxias has taken 27 points of damage.

Polon is normal.

Rogur has expended 1 potion of healing, rope, 7 crossbow bolts and 26 sling bullets.
    Rogur has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Rogur has employed Positioning Strike, Trick Strike (daily), and Trickster's Blade.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur is #1's quarry.
    Rogur has spent 1 healing surge.

Rogur has taken 19 points of damage.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Yrisz has cast Channel Divinity, Cure Light Wounds (daily), and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz has used two Healing Words and her Second Wind.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz is #4's quarry.
    Yrisz has spent 5 healing surges.

Yrisz has taken 13 points of damage.

Zephyr has used his length of rope and a sun rod.
    Zephyr has expended Arcane Prodigy, Flame Spiral, Life Thane Rage (daily).
    Zephyr is using non-lethal attacks.
    Zephyr has spent 1 action point (none remaining).
    Zephyr has spent 9 healing surges.
    Zephyr has taken 5 points of damage.

Enemy Negative Effects Summary
    #1 is out of combat.

#4 is cursed.

#6 is unconscious.

#7 is dead.

#8 Tinog is dead.

Enemy Damage Summary

#1 - out of combat with 51 points of damage

#3 - 6 points of damage

#6 - unconscious with 49 points of damage

#7 - slain by 10 points of damage

#8 - Tinog was slain by 38 points of damage.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 09-24-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: corrected post number and dating

Downloads
    Uploads
    While I'm a little bit vague on the details on the map...it looks to me that we have a bit of a balancing act ahead of us. Am I missing something, is there another way to get between the building we are in and the one that Zephyr and Polon currently reside in that doesn't include balancing on the top of a while (while a perhaps members of the Matchless Gang are shooting bolts at you)?
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main Post #57

This is the fifty-seventh Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, September 25th. The next main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, September 27th.

Still at one round a week, but keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Ithelryn View Post
    While I'm a little bit vague on the details on the map...it looks to me that we have a bit of a balancing act ahead of us. Am I missing something, is there another way to get between the building we are in and the one that Zephyr and Polon currently reside in that doesn't include balancing on the top of a while (while a perhaps members of the Matchless Gang are shooting bolts at you)?
    There's always another way! One involves holding your breath. Another involves paddling a boat while Matchless Gang members are shooting bolts at you. I'm sure there are others.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Umiushi,

Can you describe the mechanism for moving across the terrain indicated by the reddish-brown half-squares directly to Noxias' south on the map? Is that a wall, bridge, rickety walkway, etc? What is the elevation of that terrain relative to the floor on which we are currently located?

Rogur will not immediately try to cross, since he's not aware that Zephyr is over there, but he'll move to help Noxias take care of #2.

If I read the map right, #2 is completely obscured from Rogur right now, correct? If Rogur moves to a square where he has a clear view of the door, can he ready a ranged attack, triggered on an enemy poking his face around the door? I understand the enemy would still have cover from Rogur at that point, but at least he'd be visible.

Also, I noted that #1's slide out the window wasn't reflected in the in-game post. Do you object to me making an in-game post to reflect him no longer being in the fight?

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alight, if everyone is dead up north then Noxia's next move will be:

Round 17:
    Minor: Open Door
    Std: Blast #2 or Blast on Trigger (when #2, or any other bad guy is in view).

Can Nox see Zeph? If so, then I'll hail him for my other action. Something like "Zephyr, you're alive!"

* Atk *

* Fire *

09-24-2012 11:20 AM
    Atk: 1d20 (19)+ 6 (6) = 25
    Fire: 1d6 (2)+ 6 (6) = 8
    Quote:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good attack roll and poor damage roll means I would like to use my daily trigger Fiery Might.

* Fiery Might *

This would only be used in the case of me actually attacking something. So if #2 (or another bad guy) does not show himself then I'll just be holding the door open for everyone else.

Edit: FML :-(

09-24-2012 11:22 AM
    Fiery Might: 1d6 (2)
    Quote:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    . . .

Can you describe the mechanism for moving across the terrain indicated by the reddish-brown half-squares directly to Noxias' south on the map? Is that a wall, bridge, rickety walkway, etc? What is the elevation of that terrain relative to the floor on which we are currently located?

Rogur will not immediately try to cross, since he's not aware that Zephyr is over there, but he'll move to help Noxias take care of #2.

If I read the map right, #2 is completely obscured from Rogur right now, correct? If Rogur moves to a square where he has a clear view of the door, can he ready a ranged attack, triggered on an enemy poking his face around the door? I understand the enemy would still have cover from Rogur at that point, but at least he'd be visible.

Also, I noted that #1's slide out the window wasn't reflected in the in-game post. Do you object to me making an in-game post to reflect him no longer being in the fight?

--T
    Recounting from around OOC Posta #33 and #34, the squares you are referring to comprise "a lower, two story high, makeshift wooden wall where the stone wall is ruined." The top of the wall is wide enough to walk across with care and is at the same height as the floor of the upper story, in other words, the top of the wall is at floor level for the party. In game terms, it may be traversed automatically by anyone moving at a speed of 2 or less. Moving more quickly necessitates a DC 10 Acrobatics Check for each such move action. If the check is failed by 4 or less, the character falls prone. If it is failed by 5 or more, the character falls off the walkway, with a 50% chance of falling to either side.

In determining line of sight, remember to take into consideration that Noxias has closed the door between him and the rest of the party.

I focused the in-game post on Zephyr in order to give you an opportunity to describe the outcome of Rogur's daily attack, so I have no objection to your proposal. I can provide additional descriptive information on him, if you deem it necessary, and you can refer to the same from Zephyr's prior enc

. . .
    Std: Blast #2 or Blast on Trigger (when #2, or any other bad guy is in view).

Can Nox see Zeph? If so, then I'll hail him for my other action. Something like "Zephyr, you're alive!"
    Technically, #2 is out of Noxias's line of sight, but he can still be targeted indirectly by Scorching Burst, since it is an area attack.

Noxias cannot yet see Zephyr.

The companion write-up for Zephyr is still forthcoming, but anyone who has finished resolving their own character is welcome to play Zephyr, assuming Yukonhorror is too busy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where did #1 go? Wasn't he the spearman Konstansz was blasting? Looking around at the posts, I'm completely failing to see what happened to him ><