Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Well now, the game is afoot.

The arrival of the gruesome twosome definitely changes my action this round for Yrisz, Umi. She's still going to move up, though I think that standing where Noxias is seems a rather bad idea at the moment.

In fact, I rather thinking of dropping her initiative to the bottom of the round (or the top of the next round if it is all the same).

The idea is that she then moves up the stair until she has line of sight on #8 (ideally, #1 if he proves significantly closer) and fires off Astral Seal. Light cover is fine, full cover is not.

So what I'm thinking:

Move:E, N, N, NE (stop at any point in this process once a partial or ideally full line of sight is achieved).

Standard: Astral Seal
    * Astral Seal Wis+2 vs Ref *

Does that look reasonable?

I still think we rather need to rest as soon as it can be managed, some of our hit points are getting s slight bit thin.

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-11-2012 10:36 PM
    Astral Seal Wis+2 vs Ref : 1d20 (11)+ 8 (8)+ 2 (2) = 21
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main Post #54

This is the fifty-fourth Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, September 15th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, September 17th.

I need just a bit more information to complete this round. Please see the questions in the combat report.

As for Zephyr, if he's to proceed carefully, he needs to make a Perception Check. If he moves stealthily, then a Stealth Check is in order. If he moves quickly, no check is necessary. It is also allowable to move carefully and stealthily at once by making both checks. In that case, Zephyr and Polon will be proceeding slowly. Any other qualities of Zephyr's movement are up to the player to specify.

Round Fifteen (In Progress)
    Konstansz (Initiative Count 18)
    Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    Hands Free: one
    Held: rod
    4 temporary hit points

Start of Turn: Konstansz is no longer shadow walking.

Minor Action: curse Tinog. (Warlock's Curse at distance 2. Tinog is cursed.)

Standard Action: cast Eldritch Blast at #8. (Ranged Rod vs. Reflex at distance 2 - hits. Tinog takes 16 points of damage and is bloodied.)

Will Konstansz stay in her position this turn?

Yrisz (Initiative Count 18)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Healing Word (encounter - none left), Second Wind (encounter), 5 healing surges
    Held: holy symbol (worn), mace
    13 points of damage

No Action: delay turn.

Rogur (Initiative Count 7)

Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 26 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 1 healing surge, Trickster's Blade (encounter)
    Held: sling (loaded)
    4 temporary hit points

Noxias will still be in a position to flank with Rogur on this turn. Will Rogur make an Acrobatic Strike or a Positioning Strike?

Noxias (Initiative Count 5)

Expended: Action Point (encounter), 4 healing surges, Chill Strike (encounter), Fey Step (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Second Wind (encounter), Shield (encounter)
    Held: staff
    15 points of damage

Move Action: Fey Step past the door. (Cost 5; teleport - 4xS, SE.)

Standard Action: cast Scorching Burst at Tinog.

Minor Action: close the door.

Is Scorching Burst going to be centered on #8 regardless of #8's position?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, I missed the change of initiative count for Noxias. Rogur will use Positioning Strike to try to send the baddie over the edge. --T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Carefully, but not stealthily. In any case, going towards the "ruckus".

* perception *

09-13-2012 09:46 AM
    perception : 1d20 (1)+ 2 (2) = 3
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    Carefully, but not stealthily. In any case, going towards the "ruckus".

* perception *
    Looks clear.

09-13-2012 11:57 PM
    perception : 1d20 (20)+ 2 (2) = 22

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now that is funny, the roll however was triggered by me quoting poor Yukonhorror. Which is most probably a bug of some sort...

~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    Noxias (Initiative Count 5)[/B][/I]
    Expended: Action Point (encounter), 4 healing surges, Chill Strike (encounter), Fey Step (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Second Wind (encounter), Shield (encounter)
    15 points of damage

Move Action: Fey Step past the door. (Cost 5; teleport - 4xS, SE.)

Standard Action: cast Scorching Burst at Tinog.

Is Scorching Burst going to be centered on #8 regardless of #8's position?
    Good that Nox and Rogur can flank and then Nox can port out of there.

I'd like to target 8 but not allies, but it looks like Rogur and Yrisz will be in range? Is there any way to target either of the combatants without hitting an ally? If not, then I will hit 8 and RP an apology to Rogur and Yrisz later. "Sorry for catching you on fire, but you really need to give a wizard his space. My power can be dangerous!"
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Downloads
    Uploads
    * Konstansz, emboldened by the solid hit of the previous round hopes for a repeat performance with another eldritch blast at Tinog! *

* Damage *

09-14-2012 11:07 PM
    Konstansz, emboldened by the solid hit of the previous round hopes for a repeat performance with another eldritch blast at Tinog!: 1d20 (2)+ 7 (7) = 9
    Damage: 1d10 (1)+ 6 (6)+ 1d6 (6) = 13

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    I'd like to target 8 but not allies, but it looks like Rogur and Yrisz will be in range? Is there any way to target either of the combatants without hitting an ally? If not, then I will hit 8 and RP an apology to Rogur and Yrisz later. "Sorry for catching you on fire, but you really need to give a wizard his space. My power can be dangerous!"
    The spell targets an area three squares by three squares. It is up to you to decide exactly where that is centered. The main requirements are that the center square be within range of the spell, and that it be a square visible to Noxias.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #55 for Acqua Alta Finale

This post complements the fifty-fifth main post in the Acqua Alta Finale thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, September 18th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, September 20th.

For most of the summer, even after my long trip ended, we've been chugging along at the rate of about one combat round a week. What I would prefer to see, especially when we're having the longest combat of the adventure right now, is two combat rounds a week.

I realize this may be a difficult goal at the present time, and I've been hesitant to bring it up, partly because I have some concerns regarding my own ability to accomplish this. I perceive three options:
    1. Keep to the status quo: combat rounds are finished when they are finished, with an emphasis on wrapping them up within one week's time.
    2. I, the DM, take responsibility for advancing combat one round per posting period. This means that I am the one who resolves any ambiguity in the PCs' actions. It is a "hard" approach in that, no matter what, one combat round will be produced every posting period. I am far from infallible, so this is going to create situations where the characters aren't necessarily behaving the way you intend them to, and they'll sometimes be hurt for it. In essence, the combat will become more error-prone and dangerous.
    3. You, the players, take responsibility for advancing combat one round per posting period. This means very quick turnaround when I have questions about how to interpret your actions. It is a "soft" approach in that, if I cannot get the answers I need, a combat round may not necessarily be finalized within a posting period. This method will require a greater investment of time on your behalf.

There is always, of course, the unforeseen fourth option that you are free to suggest. I am willing to consider all options, including the first one. I am bringing this up to see where the rest of you stand.

While I may consider it, one thing I do not feel I will be able to do, especially not now, is to increase my own time investment. While I already make multiple posts in a posting period, I will not hold myself to making multiple "official" ones, and I cannot really shorten my posting period or promise to post early in that period. The best I can do is try to keep on top of your posts and ask questions as soon as they come to me. Sometimes (often, actually) I don't realize that I don't understand until I see the situation that leads up to that turn in the combat.

Zephyr
    You push open the door and look around. There is the sound of commotion, possibly of fighting, too, but you cannot quite place where it is. Somewhere below you, in any case. Beyond the door is a staircase leading down to a lower level. You and Polon hastily head downstairs.

Because you are not going stealthily, you will be automatically found within two turns unless you join the party first. Make two more Perception Checks. If you get 10 or higher on the first one, you will head directly towards the party's location. If you fail the first check, but get 10 or higher on the second, you will head towards the party's location after taking a little more time to orient yourself properly. If you fail both checks, you will be intercepted by other inhabitants of the building you're in.

Map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-15.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	3817

Round Fifteen Combat Summary

Konstansz (Initiative Count 18)
    Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    Held: rod
    4 temporary hit points

Start of Turn: Konstansz is no longer shadow walking.

Minor Action: curse Tinog. (Warlock's Curse at distance 2. Tinog is cursed.)

Standard Action: cast Eldritch Blast at #8. (Ranged Rod vs. Reflex at distance 2 - hits. Tinog takes 16 points of damage and is bloodied.)

Yrisz (Initiative Count 18)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Healing Word (encounter - none left), Second Wind (encounter), 5 healing surges
    Held: holy symbol (worn), mace
    13 points of damage

No Action: delay turn.

I just noticed that Yrisz's specified movement for next round takes her through the wall on the first step. She will need to move south one square and then east one square to go through the open door enter the corridor where the stairs are.

Rogur (Initiative Count 7)

Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 26 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 1 healing surge, Positioning Strike (encounter), Trickster's Blade (encounter)
    Hands Free: none
    Held: sling (loaded), short sword
    Status: non-lethal attacks, flanking Tinog with Noxias, marked by Tinog
    4 temporary hit points

Minor Action: draw sword.

Move Action: knight's move behind Tinog. (Cost 2; normal - S, SE. Rogur is now flanking Tinog with Noxias.)
    Tinog's Opportunity Interrupt (trigger - Rogur left a threatened square) ram his shield into Rogur and take a high cut with his longsword. (Distracting Attack. Melee Heavy Blade vs. AC +4 - automatic miss. Rogur is marked.)

Standard Action: make a Positioning Strike against Tinog. (Melee Light Blade vs. Will - hits with a roll of 18 modified to 28. Tinog takes 10 points of damage.)
    Tinog's Immediate Interrupt (encounter trigger - attacked by an enemy with combat advantage) Tinog faces off with Rogur while warding any attack from Noxias with his shield. (No Opening. Tinog does not grant combat advantage for this attack.)
    Catch Oneself (trigger - Tinog is about to fall from forced movement) Tinog saves vs. falling and falls prone in his square instead of sliding NE.

Noxias (Initiative Count 5)

27 points of damage

Move Action: Fey Step past the door. (Cost 5; teleport - 4xS, SE. Noxias is no longer flanking Tinog.)

Standard Action: cast Scorching Burst. (Area Burst centered on the square immediately NE of Tinog; Fire vs. Reflex targeting Tinog and #1 - hits Tinog and rolls 14 modified to 20, hitting #1; Tinog and #1 take 12 points of fire damage. Tinog is slain. Noxias and Rogur are no longer marked.)
    Fate of the Void (trigger - a cursed enemy is slain) Konstansz gains +1 to one of her rolls.

Passive Perception: Noxias notices someone's presence behind the door in the building across the narrow, outside walkway.

I will target Scorching Burst appropriately this time, as there was insufficient time between my answer to your inquiry and the end of your posting period.

#8 Tinog (Initiative Count 4)
    Expended: javelin (dropped), No Opening (encounter)
    Held: large metal shield, longsword
    38 points of damage

No Actions

#1 (Initiative Count 3)

Expended: Begin the Hunt
    Held: two spears

Minor Action: designate quarry. (Rogur is now #1's quarry. Noxias is no longer #1's quarry.)

Standard Action: Twin Strike. (Two attacks. Melee Spear vs. AC - both hit. Rogur loses his temporary hit points and takes 14 points of damage.)
    Hunter's Quarry (round trigger - #1's quarry took damage from a hit) Rogur takes an additional 5 points of damage.

PC Results Summary
    Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 2 healing surges.

Konstanz has taken 11 points of damage.

Konstansz sees the Fate of the Void.
    Konstansz has 4 temporary hit points

Noxias has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Noxias has cast Chill Strike, Fireburst (daily), Flaming Sphere (daily), and Shield.
    Noxias has used Fey Step, and Second Wind.
    Noxias is bloodied.
    Noxias has spent 4 healing surges.
    Noxias has taken 27 points of damage.

Rogur has expended 1 potion of healing, rope, 7 crossbow bolts and 26 sling bullets.
    Rogur has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Rogur has employed Positioning Strike, and Trickster's Blade.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur is #1's quarry.
    Rogur has spent 1 healing surge.

Rogur has taken 19 points of damage.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Yrisz has cast Channel Divinity, Cure Light Wounds (daily), and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz has used two Healing Words and her Second Wind.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz is #4's quarry.
    Yrisz has spent 5 healing surges.

Yrisz has taken 13 points of damage.

Enemy Negative Effects Summary
    #4 is cursed.

#6 is unconscious.

#7 is dead.

#8 Tinog is dead.

Enemy Damage Summary

#1 - 22 points of damage

#3 - 6 points of damage

#6 - unconscious with 49 points of damage

#7 - slain by 10 points of damage

#8 - Tinog was slain by 38 points of damage.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 09-17-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: adding Pact Boon effect

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Umiushi,

In general terms, I'm in favor of taking on more responsibility as players, but there are a couple of factors that could make that challenging. First, as you point out, there are often ambiguities of rules or situations that make it difficult to resolve a situation without input from you. We can mitigate that somewhat by offering contingent actions in our posts, but that can quickly become unmanageable for you to resolve--especially if the ambiguity involves movement and associated bonuses or penalties from position.

Second, I used to rely on the PPG notification system to alert me immediately whenever a post was made. Since that is no longer happening, I've been relying on a calendar alert to remind me to check in once a day, in the morning. A once-per-day reminder works to keep my posts on schedule, but makes it difficult to be an effective contributor in an active forum with posts coming in at arbitrary times throughout the week. Have you heard anything from Farcaster regarding a resolution to this?

In the end, I'll support the group's consensus. As I've said before, this is a game, and my role is to help maximize everybody's fun--yours included. If the pace of the combats is dragging things down for you, then I'm happy to do what I can to help speed things up.

To that end, and to reinforce my first point above: Is the window east of #1 low enough and large enough that successful forced movement would cause him to fall out of it? If so, would an attempt to force that movement incur any unusual penalties because of the size or position of that window? If yes to 1 and no to 2, Rogur will stupidly stay toe-to-toe with #1 and try to push him through it. If not, Rogur will abandon the up-close and personal attack in favor of a running and then hiding. Gotta get that Sneak Attack damage back into play if we're going to survive here.

Rogur, Round Sixteen
    Option 1: #1 can be forced through the window with no unusual penalties
    Standard: Trick Strike against #1.
    * Rogur Option 1 - Trick Strike melee vs. AC *
    * Rogur Option 1 - Melee damage, Slide 1E (through window) *

Move: Shift 1NW
    Free: None
    Minor: None

Option 2: #1 cannot be forced through the window
    Standard: Acrobatic Strike against #1. Shift 1NW after attack.
    * Rogur Option 2 - Acrobatic Strike melee vs. AC *
    * Rogur Option 2 - Melee damage *

Move: (Fleeting Ghost) NE, S, W. (Drop down stairs, duck into room on first floor, hide from #1.) If Rogur needs to make an acrobatics check to avoid damage, here it is:
    * Rogur Option 2 - Acrobatics - Drop down stairs if needed *
    * Rogur Option 2 - Stealth - Hide from #1 *

Free: None
    Minor: None

09-17-2012 09:12 AM
    Rogur Option 1 - Trick Strike melee vs. AC: 1d20 (12)+ 10 (10) = 22
    Rogur Option 1 - Melee damage, Slide 1E (through window): 3d6 (6,5,2 = 13) + 4 (4) = 17
    Rogur Option 2 - Acrobatic Strike melee vs. AC: 1d20 (12)+ 10 (10) = 22
    Rogur Option 2 - Melee damage: 1d6 (3)+ 4 (4) = 7
    Rogur Option 2 - Acrobatics - Drop down stairs if needed: 1d20 (14)+ 11 (11) = 25
    Rogur Option 2 - Stealth - Hide from #1: 1d20 (11)+ 11 (11) = 22

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    Hi Umiushi,

In general terms, I'm in favor of taking on more responsibility as players, but there are a couple of factors that could make that challenging. First, as you point out, there are often ambiguities of rules or situations that make it difficult to resolve a situation without input from you. We can mitigate that somewhat by offering contingent actions in our posts, but that can quickly become unmanageable for you to resolve--especially if the ambiguity involves movement and associated bonuses or penalties from position.

Second, I used to rely on the PPG notification system to alert me immediately whenever a post was made. Since that is no longer happening, I've been relying on a calendar alert to remind me to check in once a day, in the morning. A once-per-day reminder works to keep my posts on schedule, but makes it difficult to be an effective contributor in an active forum with posts coming in at arbitrary times throughout the week. Have you heard anything from Farcaster regarding a resolution to this?

In the end, I'll support the group's consensus. As I've said before, this is a game, and my role is to help maximize everybody's fun--yours included. If the pace of the combats is dragging things down for you, then I'm happy to do what I can to help speed things up.
    I too would like to mention that I relied on the PPG notifications to alert me when someone posted. It would be very useful to have those up and running again. I am happy to work at any cadence that the group would like and even go as far as to post moves 2-3 rounds in advance, but as Tim mentioned it is difficult to do so when people have made provisional moves and the thugs are moving and the map is not updated.

As an MSDN member I have free use (up to a certain quota) of Azure services. I can quickly bring a PHPBB instance up and give everyone access. There are several other applications that are instantly available as well. I would be willing to provide that service to the group since I dont use it for anything else otherwise. But that may require time to get setup, it also would not support roll tags out of the box, but it would support notifications. Alternatively we could consider moving to another board entirely or trying to use a Google+ hangout or something to accomplish the same activity?

Overall I find the once a week cadence to be a little slow, I wouldn't mind kicking it up to two per week.
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Noxias N:
    Move S one
    Minor Shut the door
    Std: Burst vs 1 targeting the square one north of 1 (targeting the empty square so that R is not hit)

* burst *

* fire *

Noxias N+1:
    Assuming 1 is dead.
    Move: 4N next to rogur
    Std: Burst against first enemy to come through southern or sou'western door.

* burst *

* fire *

See, here is the tricky part about posting moves so far ahead. If 1 is dead before my burst then I would like to move north to rally with R and K.

EDIT: if the attack against 1 hits but isn't enough to kill him then can I use my Fiery Might? Or does that need to be declared beforehand?

09-17-2012 04:23 PM
    burst: 1d20 (15)+ 6 (6) = 21
    fire: 1d6 (3)+ 6 (6) = 9
    burst: 1d20 (7)+ 6 (6) = 13
    fire: 1d6 (3)+ 6 (6) = 9
    Quote:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    closing my eyes, plugging my ears to look for Rogur and the rest:

* perception *

* perception *

09-17-2012 05:54 PM
    perception : 1d20 (8)+ 2 (2) = 10
    perception : 1d20 (8)+ 2 (2) = 10
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oops, you are quite right Umi about my missing the wall in that picture. Totally my bad (I get to say that a lot I'm afraid).

A revised move of s,e, n, n, n is in order. Then by my measure, she will not have line of sight on any of the villains (thus I lose that lovely roll from earlier, alway a risk). So she will use her standard to move again. I don't want to grant an attack of opportunity with #1 (and I'm a bit vague on the exact interactions of the levels) so feel free to stop or alter her movements accordingly Umi in case I've caused this. The finish turn should look like:

Move: S, E, N, N, N
    Standard as a move: NX2 (difficult terrain for stair), E, S, S

~Mother Teresa