Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'll keep up, and if I fail stealth checks then we will just have to RP that out.

Also the second description that Umi provides seems the most expedient, as something that can be done on a single round. If you stand in the square that has the opening and do an active perception then that places you squarely in the "fatal funnel" which would be a perfect spot for a hidden assassin to lie in wait or to aim a trap at.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just saw the new Batman movie for the 3rd time, and I still quite enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    Rogur will hand both sacks from the dragonborn to Yrisz, if she's amenable, otherwise, he'll hang them from his own belt so he can examine them later. Perhaps Yrisz will be able to spend some minor actions to examine the newly acquired inventory as we move through the complex.
    Yrisz will be more then happy to oblige Rogur in this respect. She suspects she has the moment or two to spare while the others do their sneaking and peeking. She'll follow as soon after as she can.

Umi, just a cursory glance on her part unless I dictate otherwise. If she finds something really nice or that proves a baffling mystery she might spend a bit more time with it before stowing it away.

"Slicing-the-pie" and "Funnel of Death" (I do so adore that description of doorways/choke points)!!! Malk0lm do you have some SWAT training that we need to know about? Perhaps your on a soft air or well trained paintball team? That really is quite advanced lingo.

This comes to mind (rude humor ahead):
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/20

There are whole dissertations on the difference between character knowledge and abilities and how that is reflected in the rolls during game play. I shan't bore people with its conclusions as Umi has already said his piece which seems quite fine to me. Seldom is it that the players tactics trump the characters actual abilities (as we all do love to cut the valiant hero), though I've seen it happen from time to time. Sometimes played to good effect.

Night.
    Last edited by Ithelryn; 08-31-2012 at 01:13 AM.
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Konstansz is content with the marching order and will follow along cautiously.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithelryn View Post
    "Slicing-the-pie" and "Funnel of Death" (I do so adore that description of doorways/choke points)!!! Malk0lm do you have some SWAT training that we need to know about? Perhaps your on a soft air or well trained paintball team? That really is quite advanced lingo.
    I did some police work back in the day. I also enjoy a tactical FPS now-and-again! :-)
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    I did some police work back in the day. I also enjoy a tactical FPS now-and-again! :-)
    I thought as much! That's why my first thought had been of SWAT. I've not heard of slicing the pie outside of the police world (though I'm sure the military has to be a equivalent). The Funnel of Death is a concept and term that the military seems to use/respect as well as the police...I could be entirely wrong about all this of course (as the thought comes from antidotal observation), and I've held neither occupation, though I've had friends/family in both.

As for the game, like I suggested earlier, Yrisz will hold back for a second to rifle through and take a quick inventory of what Rogur has given her. Then she will make her way behind the others. She might even try to be stealthy about it (who knows, good rolls happen sometimes)...Is there anything else that needs stating on my part???

* A just in case it's needed Stealth Check *

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-01-2012 11:48 PM
    A just in case it's needed Stealth Check : 1d20 (7)+ 1 (1) = 8

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #51 for Acqua Alta Finale

This post complements the fifty-first main post in the Acqua Alta Finale thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, September 4th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, September 6th.

We'll pick up at the start of Round 14. Rogur finished his search of the fallen dragonborn. He has tossed the spiked chain into the water and given the two sacks to Yrisz, who has accepted them. The party hasn't fallen into any marching order yet, so Konstansz is standing watch while this takes place, and Noxias is investigating the second room.

Noxias rolls a 1 on his Perception Check, modified to 8. This is lower than his Passive Perception of 17. This means that 17 will be used for any normal examination of the room, including Stealth Checks of any enemies in the room. For any concealed features that require a Perception Check to notice, the result of 8 will be used. Certain possible contents of a room, for example a false compartment in the floor, require a direct search of the room to be undertaken and will not be noticed from a distance at all.

The sacks contain the following:
    • sack #1 - 20 staters
    • sack #2 - 3 clay vials, treated as potions in terms of usage

While any object can be examined through an active Perception Check or other actions, there is a limit to the efficacy of such activities. A Perception Check can reveal certain details about the appearance of an item. A Trained Arcana Check can reveal if the item is magical or not. An Insight Check can reveal if an object has an illusory nature. An appropriate Knowledge Check might reveal something about an object.

However, the full nature of a magical item is discerned from examination during a Short Rest. Only through direct experimentation, inference, or an explicit ability is it possible to determine the nature of magical items during a combat interval.

Map: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-13.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	3783

The map shows everyone's position at the end of Round 13. The area to the east is what Noxias sees on the next floor up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only thing that Yrisz really can use for detecting that has any reasonable success rate is Perception (outside of Religion and Healing her book knowledge might be a bit wanting).

If Konstansz can be brought to interest Yrisz can show her the vials, as she seems the best available bet on one educated in the magical arts.

Lastly, Umi, could Yrisz use a Heal check to rule out (or in) that the vials contain something of a healing nature? For that is what is very much on her mind...Perception check first however, as she doesn't want to be playing with an obvious magical grenade or something colorful like that.

I'll set things to role (and story) once I have a clearer picture of what steps are being made...

Night.
    Last edited by Ithelryn; 09-04-2012 at 02:07 AM.

~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    * Perception Check, It is all quite elementary my dear Rogur. *

09-04-2012 02:08 AM
    Perception Check, It is all quite elementary my dear Rogur. : 1d20 (20)+ 11 (11) = 31

~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the sound of approaching footsteps Noxias will scurry back to his friends.

Move S to the door with everyone else
    Tell them about the coming person
    Prepare scorching burst for the first enemy that comes down the stairs.
    Quote:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main Post #52

This is the fifty-second Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, September 8th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, September 10th.

Posts are looking a little sparse; I'm going to chalk it up to the holiday weekend. I'll start constructing Round 14's actions to put everyone's actions in context. Review the map from OOC Post #51 to see everyone's placement at the beginning of the round.

Lastly, Umi, could Yrisz use a Heal check to rule out (or in) that the vials contain something of a healing nature? For that is what is very much on her mind...Perception check first however, as she doesn't want to be playing with an obvious magical grenade or something colorful like that.
    I'm going to take the opportunity while I answer this question to expand on the concept of identifying (potentially magical) items during combat.

My interpretation of the Heal skill is that it is predicated on the notion that the user is already familiar with the resources at hand. The Heal skill can be used to diagnose patients, but not identify potential medicines. That is the province of the "knowledge skills" of Arcana, Dungeoneering, Nature, and Religion.

Also, if these are indeed potions, you're out of luck when it comes to skill checks during combat: to find out what a potion's effects are in combat, the potion must be consumed, which uses it up. If you mistakenly ingest a salve or apply a potion externally, the results will range from non-existent to unpleasant. Of course, labeled potion bottles make identifying a potion's contents easy, if there's a correct label.

Potions, and items in general, can also be identified through inference: if you've seen the same kind of item in the past, you can guess that's what you're holding. Within the appropriate context, it is less common that identical-seeming items have different effects than it is that different-seeming items have similar effects. By context, I mean that the rule of inference obviously doesn't apply to items that are intentional copies, forgeries, or traps, and that potion containers, scroll cases, weapon sheathes, and so on, do not necessarily reflect what they contain.

Finally, any examination of the interior contents of the vials will require that they be unstoppered. Stoppering and unstoppering a vial is a minor action, each. (Unstoppering and drinking the contents of a vial is only a single minor action, though.) Identification of items is not a combat activity, and consequently I will not be generous with the actions required to do so. I will, however, be somewhat more generous in the identification and ruling out of traps, which does occur in the context of combat.

From Yrisz's Perception Check, she discerns that the vials are unmarked, and not fancy. From their feel and balance, the contents are liquid. They do look like the kind of "potion vials" that might be for sale in an apothecary's shop: they are made so that they can be quickly used. They do not look like the sort of bottles that are not intended to be opened, i.e. grenades. She also notices that they are new, and have not yet been used. There is no sign that they were ever opened after being initially filled and corked: for instance, the lips of the vials and the bases of the corks are unstained. It seems reasonable to conclude the following: these were for the dragonborn or one of its allies to use; they were intended to be used quickly; the containers are not meant to be directly applied to an unwilling subject, e.g. holy water vials, as ironic as that sounds.

Round Fourteen (In Progress)
    Noxias (Initiative Count 21)
    Expended: Action Point (encounter), 4 healing surges, Chill Strike (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Second Wind (encounter), Shield (encounter)
    Hands Free: one
    Held: staff
    15 points of damage

Move Action: head to the south door. (Cost 4; normal - 4xS.)

Standard Action: ready Scorching Burst. (Trigger - first enemy to come down the stairs. Centered on triggering enemy.)

Konstansz (Initiative Count 18+)
    Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    Held: rod
    4 temporary hit points

Konstansz's actions.

Yrisz (Initiative Count 18)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Healing Word (encounter - none left), Second Wind (encounter), 5 healing surges
    Hands Free: none
    Held: holy symbol (worn), mace, sack containing vials
    13 points of damage

Minor Action: examine vials. (Perception Check - see above for results.)

Yrisz's remaining actions.

Rogur (Initiative Count 7)

Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 26 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 1 healing surge, Trickster's Blade (encounter)
    Held: sling (loaded)
    4 temporary hit points

Rogur's actions.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry for missing the posting deadline, Umiushi. As you surmised, the holiday weekend threw off my timing real good.

I suggest that, at his earliest opportunity, Noxias spends a Standard Action on a Second Wind to regain some HP, since he is bloodied. Rogur will proceed up the stairs to at least join Noxias, using a double-move to do so. He will not pause at the doorway, since Noxias has already done so.

If I'm reading the map correctly (I will not entertain any wagers on that, however ), then Rogur's move action should put him here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	3796

In any case, Rogur's intent is to support Noxias' move to the front line while remaining under cover. At the end of the move, he will hide from anyone who may be coming through the door. I don't actually see which part of the map represents that door, however, so if I'm actually standing directly in front of it or something silly like that, please let me know and I'll adjust the move accordingly.

Rogur, Round Fourteen
    Free: None
    Move: (Double Move, Fleeting Ghost) 5E, N; N, N, N, W, S, S)
    * Rogur - Stealth *

Minor: None
    Standard: None

I believe Rogur has already taken appropriate actions to do so, but his sword is stowed and sling is in hand, unloaded.

--T

09-05-2012 07:18 AM
    Rogur - Stealth: 1d20 (11)+ 11 (11) = 22

Downloads
    Uploads
    If there are any furnishings or other places in the room where Konstansz could zot magic at foes from behind some cover, Konstansz will move there now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rogur's intent is to support Noxias' move to the front line while remaining under cover.
    OMG we keep trading places, I moved back to join you. Anyway, let me revise my actions.

For movement I would like to remain where I am but move in such a way that I can see into the hallway at the top of the stairs but where the rest of my body is out of sight on the first level. I would like the change in elevation to provide some sort of cover, or allow me to fall prone and be out of the line of sight. If that is not a possibility then I'll remain where you have me in post 561.
    I would still like to keep the burst ready for the first sign of an enemy.

I believe I already spent the Second Wind while you were looting the dragonborn. If that is not the case then I will attempt to do that as early as possible.
    Quote:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, somehow I had gotten it into my mind that we were semi-out of combat rounds at this point. Rogur's quick loot and disposal of the dragon borns equipment was the points that I was basing this false premies on. Sorry. The fact that the vials were not meant to be used on unwilling subjects is suggestive, though Yrisz will wait until later (hopefully) to test such a conclusion.

Yrisz will place the looted items and money into her bag. If that leaves her with any movement left this rounds, she will start to move up towards the east door (move: E,E,E,E). I think that shall do for this round I suspect.

Best of luck all!

~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    . . .
    If I'm reading the map correctly (I will not entertain any wagers on that, however ), then Rogur's move action should put him here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	3796

In any case, Rogur's intent is to support Noxias' move to the front line while remaining under cover. At the end of the move, he will hide from anyone who may be coming through the door. I don't actually see which part of the map represents that door, however, so if I'm actually standing directly in front of it or something silly like that, please let me know and I'll adjust the move accordingly.

Rogur, Round Fourteen
    Free: None
    Move: (Double Move, Fleeting Ghost) 5E, N; N, N, N, W, S, S)
    * Rogur - Stealth *

Minor: None
    Standard: None

I believe Rogur has already taken appropriate actions to do so, but his sword is stowed and sling is in hand, unloaded.

--T
    The navigation is correct, but climbing the staircase presents at least two squares of difficult terrain. Without running, that will leave Rogur one square adjacent to Noxias, instead of at his desired location. For now, I will assume that he'll be west of Noxias.

There are two doors in the upper room. Based on Rogur's given position on the map (not his actual position based on what I said in the previous paragraph), they are on the west side of the square directly northwest of Rogur, and on the south side of the square two squares southeast of Rogur, in the room's southeast corner.

I had recorded Rogur as having a loaded sling, but I will change that to unloaded if such is your intent.

Quote Originally Posted by cutopia View Post
    If there are any furnishings or other places in the room where Konstansz could zot magic at foes from behind some cover, Konstansz will move there now.
    The room on the lower floor does not have anything that could serve as cover. The room on the upper floor as three barrels in the northwest corner. Anyone in that square has cover from attacks, but the barrels are massive, and extremely difficult to move even a little ways. Therefore the square counts as challenging terrain: entering the square requires a difficult (DC 15) Athletics Check. Failure means you end your move action adjacent to the target square. Because stairs are difficult terrain, it will take a double move action for Konstansz to reach the square adjacent to cover. However, if Konstansz chooses to run, she would have enough movement to reach the square with the barrels. What will she do? For now, I will assume she heads over to the square next to the barrels, but please review my answer to Malk0lm's questions, below, for alternate defensive positioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    OMG we keep trading places, I moved back to join you. Anyway, let me revise my actions.

For movement I would like to remain where I am but move in such a way that I can see into the hallway at the top of the stairs but where the rest of my body is out of sight on the first level. I would like the change in elevation to provide some sort of cover, or allow me to fall prone and be out of the line of sight. If that is not a possibility then I'll remain where you have me in post 561.
    I would still like to keep the burst ready for the first sign of an enemy.

I believe I already spent the Second Wind while you were looting the dragonborn. If that is not the case then I will attempt to do that as early as possible.
    If Noxias remains in his current square, it will be as you described. In technical terms, you will have cover from anyone entering the room, but they will not have cover from you. If you drop prone, your cover does not improve, but you gain the additional effects of being prone. When you are prone in that square, enemies on the second floor will enjoy cover from you. If you move one square to the south of your position, you will effectively be on the first floor: you will be outside of line of sight and line of effect from most of the second floor: enemies would have to move close to the staircase to attack and be attacked by you. For now, I will assume you stay where you are and ready your spell.

You are correct: you have already spent your Second Wind. Your options to be healed during this encounter are exhausted or nearly so, and you have less than half of your hit points left, so keep that in mind as you determine your actions.

. . .
    Yrisz will place the looted items and money into her bag. If that leaves her with any movement left this rounds, she will start to move up towards the east door (move: E,E,E,E). I think that shall do for this round I suspect.

Best of luck all!
    A minor action to make the Perception Check, and a minor action to secure the items will leave her free to take that move action. Since it's still in the first room, she'll be out of range unless enemies overrun Noxias and Rogur's positions, head down the stairs, and move towards the entrance to the room.

Here is my updated combat summary, contingent on my understanding of everyone's actions. Let me know if I got it right, or what I need to change.

Round Fourteen (In Progress)
    Noxias (Initiative Count 21)
    Expended: Action Point (encounter), 4 healing surges, Chill Strike (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Second Wind (encounter), Shield (encounter)
    Held: staff
    15 points of damage

Standard Action: ready Scorching Burst. (Trigger - first sign of an enemy. Centered on triggering enemy.)

Konstansz (Initiative Count 18+)
    Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    Held: rod
    11 points of damage

4 temporary hit points

Double Move Action: head up the stairs and towards the barrels. (Cost 11; shadow walk - NE, 3xE, 4xN, NW, 2 squares of difficult terrain. Konstansz gains concealment.)

Yrisz (Initiative Count 18)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Healing Word (encounter - none left), Second Wind (encounter), 5 healing surges
    Held: holy symbol (worn), mace
    13 points of damage

Minor Action: examine vials. (Perception Check - see Main Post #52 for results.)

Minor Action: put away the sack.

Move Action: head to the side of the open door in the first room. (Cost 4; normal - 4xE.)

Rogur (Initiative Count 7)

Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 26 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 1 healing surge, Trickster's Blade (encounter)
    Held: sling
    4 temporary hit points

Double Move Action: head into the upper room. (Cost 12; fleeting ghost - 5xE, 4xN, W, 2 squares of difficult terrain. Rogur makes a Stealth Check to hide, if possible.)

09-06-2012 04:24 AM
    Rogur - Stealth: 1d20 (11)+ 11 (11) = 22