Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    ...Noxias could use a regular movement of W, SW, SE at a cost of 6 and see well enough to direct the flaming sphere. The sphere can move SE, SW, and 3xS to reach the desired position, so this will not hinder Noxias.
    Well, pooh, I'd had hoped to shortcut the stairs, but it looks like that is not in the cards... it will have to wait until next round.

This method of movement seems fine. I'll plan to attack either 2 or 3 when next I have the chance.

Thanks!
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    There is no problem with delaying Yrisz's turn. Anyone who delays past the enemies' turns winds up at the top of the initiative order for the subsequent round, just like Rogur, as there is no difference in turn order but doing so reduces the amount of ambiguity I have to deal with.

On the other hand, readying an action is always a Standard Action, no matter what action is being readied. Therefore, Yrisz would not be able to ready Healing Word on the same turn as her other stated actions without spending an Action Point to do so.

As a side note, it looks like Yrisz and Noxias may wind up competing for the squares at the base of the steps. However, as both of them can complete their desired actions from the squares S and SW of the round pillar, I'm not going to be too concerned with who winds up occupying which square.

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

Thugs #2 and #3 will be downed by the end of Zephyr's turn, based on my current understanding of the round. This may have an effect on Yrisz's and Noxias's actions.

With #2 and #3 down I'm happy for Yrisz to move anywhere around where Karu is on the current map building, if that assists movement.

Also, Yrisz taking the top of the round is quite fine by me, as you said Umi, it's the same thing as the bottom. Sorry, I again forgot about the delay as a Standard Action (usually because it is Standard Actions that I usually delay)....
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #7 for Acqua Alta

This post complements the seventh main post in the Acqua Alta Finale thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, March 27th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, March 29th.

Map:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MagusL2-4a.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	3622

Now that everyone can be depicted on the second floor map, I will stop posting the third floor map. Gray squares show areas that are not visible by any member of the party. This is not to say that white squares are visible by everyone; only Marc can see into the library, for instance.

Round Four Summary
    Rogur (Initiative Count 26)
    Expended: 7 crossbow bolts, 19 sling bullets, 1 healing surge
    Hands Free: one
    Held: sling

Free Action: reload sling

Move Action: hop down to the base of the pillar. (Cost 2; Fleeting Ghost - E, N, hop down 10 feet; Acrobatics Check - successful. Rogur lands standing.)

Standard Action: shoot with a Sly Flourish against thug #5. (Ranged Sling vs. AC with cover and combat advantage at distance 9 - misses. Rogur is no longer hiding, but has total concealment.)

Marc (Initiative Count 13)
    Expended: none
    Held: longsword
    6 points of damage

Move Action: head towards the dwarf. (Cost 4; normal - 2xS, SW^1, SE^2.)
    ^1 #3's Opportunity Interrupt (trigger - Marc leaves a threatened square) thrust javelin at Marc. (Melee Basic Spear vs. AC - misses by 1.)
    ^2 #2's Opportunity Interrupt (trigger - Marc leaves a threatened square) thrust javelin at Marc. (Melee Basic Spear vs. AC - hits. Marc takes 6 points of damage.)

Minor Action: issue a Divine Challenge against thug #5. (Close Burst targeting thug #5 at distance 3. Thug #5 is marked.)

Standard Action: charge thug #5. (Cost 2; charge - 2xS. Melee Basic Heavy Blade +1 vs. AC - Marc rolls 6 modified to 14. Misses.)

This is reflective of what I believe was the intent, based on Marc's capabilities for this round. Please advise if changes are necessary.

Konstansz (Initiative Count 10)
    Hands Free: none
    Held: rod, everburning torch
    17 points of damage

Minor Action: lay Warlock's Curse on closest thug. (Curse laid on thug #3 at distance 2.)

Standard Action: cast Eldritch Blast on thug #3. (Ranged Rod vs. Reflex at distance 2 - hits. Thug #3 is slain by 21 points of damage.)
    Fate of the Void: Konstansz gains a +1 bonus to any single d20 roll on her next turn.

Move Action: step northeast. (Cost 1; shift - NE.)

End of Turn: Konstansz is no longer shadow walking.

Zephyr (Initiative Count 9)
    Expended: rope, sun rod, Acid Orb (encounter), Arcane Prodigy (encounter), Flame Spiral (encounter), Roar of Triumph (encounter)
    Held: heavy war pick (not wielded)
    12 points of damage

Minor Action: free a hand to cast spells.

Standard Action: cast Flame Spiral. (Close Burst targeting thug #3; Fire vs. Reflex at distance 1; critical hit - #3 is downed by 13 points of fire damage. Effect: enemies that start in or enter a square adjacent to Zephyr take fire damage.)
    Fate of the Void: Konstansz's bonus increases to +2.

Free Action: Roar of Triumph (Trigger - downs an enemy. Close Burst targeting thugs #4 and #5; Fear at distance 4-5. Enemies are at -2 to all defenses.)

One hand must be free to cast spells and both hands are needed to wield Zephyr's heavy war pick. Freeing up a hand or properly gripping the weapon are both minor actions.

Yrisz (Initiative Count 7)

Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, 1 healing surge
    Held: everburning torch, holy symbol (worn)

No Action: delay turn.

Noxias (Initiative Count 6+)
    Held: staff

Minor Action: sustain Flaming Sphere.

Move Action: head down the stairs. (Cost 6; normal - W, SW, SE; 3 squares of difficult terrain.)

Move Action: send Flaming Sphere down the corridor. (Cost 6; normal - SE, 3xS, SW; 1 square of difficult terrain.)

#2 - Matchless Gang Thug (Initiative Count 6)

Start of Turn: Thug #2 is slain by 9 points of fire damage

No Actions

#3 - Matchless Gang Thug (Initiative Count 6-)

No Actions

#4 - Matchless Gang Thug (Initiative Count 5+)
    Expended: 1 sling bullet
    Held: sling

Move Action: head to doors. (Cost 1; shift - S.)

Minor Action: open doors.

Move Action: head into library. (Cost 2+; normal - W, NW, out of sight.)

#5 - Matchless Gang Thug (Initiative Count 5)
    Expended: 2 quarrels
    Held: crossbow

Move Action: back away. (Cost 1; shift - SW.)

Standard Action: fire crossbow at Marc. (Aimed Shot. Ranged Crossbow vs. AC at distance 2 - misses by 2.)

Minor Action: reload

PC Results Summary
    Konstansz sees the Fate of the Void (+2 bonus)
    Konstansz has taken 17 points of damage.

Marc is using non-lethal attacks.
    Marc has taken 6 points of damage.

Noxias is sustaining a Flaming Sphere (daily).

Rogur has expended 7 crossbow bolts and 19 sling bullets.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur has total concealment.
    Rogur has spent 1 healing surge.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz has spent 1 healing surge.

Zephyr has used his length of rope and a sun rod.
    Zephyr has cast Acid Orb and Flame Spiral.
    Zephyr has expended Arcane Prodigy and Roar of Triumph.
    Zephyr is using non-lethal attacks.
    Zephyr is surrounded by spiraling flames.
    Zephyr has taken 12 points of damage.

Enemy Negative Effects Summary
    Matchless Gang Thug #1 is dead.

Matchless Gang Thug #2 is dead.

Matchless Gang Thug #3 is dead.

Matchless Gang Thug #4 is at -2 to all defenses.

Matchless Gang Thug #5 is at -2 to all defenses.
    Matchless Gang Thug #5 is marked by Marc.

Enemy Damage Summary
    Matchless Gang Thug #1 - slain by 37 points of damage

Matchless Gang Thug #2 - slain by 21 points of damage.

Matchless Gang Thug #3 - slain by 9 points of damage.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 03-27-2012 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Rogur's status: hiding -> total concealment

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I downed both of them? Oh...

Also, didn't know about the free hand thingy. Curious though, what about if an implement is a staff??

Well, I had an available minor.

If they are BOTH downed by the end of my turn, yeah, move towards #4.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No time for a proper post:

Rogur, Round 5
    Minor: None
    Free: Reload Sling
    Move: Fleeting Ghost. S, S, SE (into pillar), attempt to hide
    Standard: Sly Flourish vs. #5
    * Rogur - Stealth *
    * Rogur - Sly flourish ranged vs. AC *
    * Rogur - Ranged damage *
    * Rogur - Sneak Attack damage *

[EDIT]
    Woo hoo, crit! Umiushi, please add 1d6 to the damage roll if you would.

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    03-26-2012 09:07 AM
    Rogur - Stealth: 1d20 (12)+ 11 (11) = 23
    Rogur - Sly flourish ranged vs. AC: 1d20 (20)+ 9 (9) = 29
    Rogur - Ranged damage: 1d6 (1)+ 7 (7) = 8
    Rogur - Sneak Attack damage: 2d8 (2,1 = 3)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Again, Nox will follow the same pattern:

Noxias
    Minor: Sustain
    Move: Running 8S to 1S of M
    Move: Sphere move 5S to 1W of '5'

Umi, can you enlighten me on the mechanics of burning the books? I don't think Noxias has any use for non faerie books since what could mundane creatures know that is not already known to the fey arcaneists? But I think he would rather not burn the place down even though he is a bit of a pyro. If the sphere did not end it's turn adjacent to any books would they still catch on fire? If they did, do they have some amount of hit points before they actually alight? Not sure this is covered in the handbook that I have.
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    for NEXT turn:

Minor: put pick in both hands
    Move: get towards guy in library
    If not adj to library guy
    Move: move adj to library guy
    If adj to library guy
    Std: escalating violence (bonus dam to nearest ally)
    IF hit:
    Free: savage growl
    IF hit:
    Action Point: Recuperating Strike vs. library guy

* escalating violence vs. AC *

* dam and if take dam before SNT, +2 to atk/dam rolls on next atk *

* recuperating stk vs. AC *

* dam and I gain 3 temp hp *

03-26-2012 12:38 PM
    escalating violence vs. AC : 1d20 (8)+ 7 (7) = 15
    dam and if take dam before SNT, +2 to atk/dam rolls on next atk : 2d12 (2,7 = 9) + 3 (3) = 12
    recuperating stk vs. AC : 1d20 (10)+ 7 (7) = 17
    dam and I gain 3 temp hp : 1d12 (12)+ 1d8 (7)+ 3 (3) = 22
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Minor Action: issue a Divine Challenge against thug #5. (Close Burst targeting thug #5 at distance 3. Thug #5 is marked.)

Standard Action: charge thug #5. (Cost 2; charge - 2xS. Melee Basic Heavy Blade +1 vs. AC - Marc rolls 6 modified to 14. Misses.)

This is reflective of what I believe was the intent, based on Marc's capabilities for this round. Please advise if changes are necessary."

That was exactly my intent, thanks.

Round 5 actions:

Move: Engage #5
    Standard: Attack with longsword

* attack *

* damage *

03-26-2012 07:01 PM
    attack : 1d20 (7)+ 7 (7) = 14
    damage : 1d8 (2)+ 6 (6) = 8

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    Also, didn't know about the free hand thingy. Curious though, what about if an implement is a staff??
    Staves are one-handed implements and two-handed weapons. That is, a staff that is held in one hand may be used as an implement, but must be held in both hands to be used as a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    Umi, can you enlighten me on the mechanics of burning the books? I don't think Noxias has any use for non faerie books since what could mundane creatures know that is not already known to the fey arcaneists? But I think he would rather not burn the place down even though he is a bit of a pyro. If the sphere did not end it's turn adjacent to any books would they still catch on fire? If they did, do they have some amount of hit points before they actually alight? Not sure this is covered in the handbook that I have.
    Object effects are largely at my discretion, but using the information from page 65 of the Dungeon Master's Guide, individual leather-bound books and scrolls in leather cases have the following properties:
    Size: Tiny
    AC: 10 Fortitude: 5 Reflex: 10 Will: N/A
    HP: 2
    Immune to necrotic, poison, and psychic damage.
    Immune to attacks that target Will.

Particularly old, dry books and scrolls have Vulnerable 5 Fire, but this hardly makes a difference.

Here are the rules relevant to using fire (and other physically damaging effects) in the library:

• If the Flaming Sphere passes by a bookshelf, but doesn't end its turn adjacent to the shelf, no harm will be done.
    • A bookshelf's "turn" occurs at the very end of a combat round.
    • Therefore, at the end of a combat round, scrolls and books on a bookshelf adjacent to the flaming sphere will begin to catch fire and be destroyed.
    • As a whole, a one-square section of bookshelf contents has AC 5, Fortitude 10, Reflex 5, and 20 hit points. If it takes any fire damage at all, some of the books or scrolls will certainly be destroyed. When it is down to 10 or fewer hit points, most of the contents are destroyed and all are at least damaged. At 0 hit points, the contents of that section of bookshelf are completely destroyed, unless there are books or scroll cases that were particularly reinforced or protected. Other sorts of attacks may have different effects on the books and scrolls.
    • A bookshelf's contents cannot be targeted by attacks that only affect "enemies." Attacks that target "creatures" will affect a bookshelf's contents, subject to my discretion. Like most objects, they are immune to necrotic, poison, and psychic damage, and to attacks that target Will.
    • The bookshelves themselves, as well as wooden chairs, tables, and other furnishings, may be singed and damaged by the flaming sphere, but will not be destroyed unless it is the caster's intent to do so.

Special consideration is given to items and objects in a character's possession. Generally speaking, these items cannot be targeted or affected by attacks as long as the character is not helpless, and are often undamaged even when a character is downed. However, even these items are not invulnerable, particularly to environmental conditions. I'm sure a number of PCs will find their rations in a most unpalatable state after this adventure is over, due to repeated submersion in waters of questionable nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrealjacob View Post
    Move: Engage #5
    Standard: Attack with longsword
    I want to confirm that your intention is to use a basic attack, and not one of Marc's at-will attack powers.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 03-27-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does fire propagate to adjacent squares if the HP of a particular square of books falls below a certain threshold?
    Quote:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    Does fire propagate to adjacent squares if the HP of a particular square of books falls below a certain threshold?
    While it might depend on the structure and condition of the library, in this case, the answer is no.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes basic attack

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, that went swimmingly (for us)!

I'm loth to use one of my Healing Words even on Konstansz, who has to be somewhere near bloodied now, when we are mopping up so handily!

So Yrisz will simply move down the steps this round with a double move and end with that...

I do wonder if we shall be see any of Weary. I bet if Noxias gets that flaming sphere to close to the books we might see the business side of her...Though she might have been cut off or passed on after Erszebet died...
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    From the way the map looks, it seems as if the dwarf is still in range of Konstansz's eldritch blast.

If this is the case, Konstansz would like to do the following:

If she is in range of the dwarf at the start of her turn, she will curse him as a free action and then cast eldritch blast.

If she is not in range of the dwarf, she will attempt to move up (using a single move action) until she is in range. However, if another enemy comes into range before the dwarf, she'll curse and eldritch blast that one instead (using her bonus to roll on the hit roll and her 1d6 curse damage bonus on the damage if she hits).

If a single move action is not sufficient to put her in range of an enemy to attack, then she will instead use her standard action to use second wind.

* eldritch blast hit roll with the +2 bonus vs reflex *

* eldritch blast damage and curse damage *

03-27-2012 11:42 PM
    eldritch blast hit roll with the +2 bonus vs reflex: 1d20 (2)+ 9 (9) = 11
    eldritch blast damage and curse damage: 1d10 (9)+ 6 (6)+ 1d6 (4) = 19

Downloads
    Uploads
    Umi,

I want to make sure that my sphere does not land the final blow on the crossbow wielding dwarf (#5 Thug). Can you please amend the movement of the sphere to either be adjacent or be 2 squares away from the dwarf depending on how close to death he is?

If you need to move the sphere so that it is not adjacent to the dwarf (to prevent his death) my preference would be to move it toward the library but hopefully not adjacent to any flammable objects.

That way I can sort of be non-lethal without being lethal.

Thanks!
    Quote:

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast