Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Ack, Yrisz is so tanking this battle. She's going to Zephyr this encounter (no hp, no healing surges) if I'm not careful.

So I'll revise her action with the dragonborn's actions in mind.

Move: Stand
    Standard: Use her Second Wind

I'll get my story post in tonight as I'm very much running to work right now...
    Last edited by Ithelryn; 08-25-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    In DnD you gain nothing by attacking from behind, right?
    That is correct. The common method of gaining positional advantage is to flank: to have an allied character directly opposite you, when both you and your ally are adjacent to your enemy.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #49 for Acqua Alta Finale

This post complements the forty-ninth main post in the Acqua Alta Finale thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, August 28th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, August 30th.

The party is still in combat. Please continue to take actions with that in mind.

Map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-11.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	3780

Round Eleven Combat Summary

Noxias (Initiative Count 21)
    Expended: Action Point (encounter), 3 healing surges, Chill Strike (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere, Shield (encounter)
    Hands Free: none
    Held: staff, longsword
    22 points of damage

Minor Action: invoke his Fireburst Armor. (All creatures that hit Noxias with melee attacks will take fire damage.)

Move Action: head to the southeast corner of the room. (Cost 5; normal - S, 4xE.)
    #6's Opportunity Interrupt (trigger - Noxias leaves a threatened square) swing its chain towards Noxias. (Melee Basic Flail vs AC +4 - hits. Noxias is bloodied by 11 points of damage.)
    Fireburst Armor (trigger - Noxias is hit by a melee attack) #6 is damaged by a blast of flame from Noxias's robes. (Noxias rolls 3, modified to 4. #6 loses 4 temporary hit points to fire damage.)

Standard Action: cast Scorching Burst. (Area Burst Fire vs. Reflex centered at distance 2 - misses.)

End of Turn: Noxias is no longer protected by the Shield spell.

Please specifically target area-type attacks, lest unintended creatures and objects be caught within the effect.

Konstansz (Initiative Count 18+)
    Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    Hands Free: one
    Held: rod
    11 points of damage
    4 temporary hit points

Standard Action: cast Eldritch Blast at #6. (Ranged Rod -3 vs. Reflex at distance 6 - rolls 18 modified to 22. Hits - rolls 4 modified to 10. #6 loses the remainder of its temporary hit points and takes 3 points of damage.)
    Warlock's Curse (trigger - attack hits cursed enemy) #6 is more vulnerable to Konstansz's spells due to the curse. (Konstansz rolls 6. #6 takes 6 points of additional damage.)

Repeated actions from last round.

Yrisz (Initiative Count 18)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Healing Word (encounter - none left), Second Wind (encounter), 5 healing surges
    Hands Free: one
    Held: holy symbol (worn), mace
    13 points of damage

Move Action: stand up. (Yrisz is no longer prone.)

Standard Action: use her Second Wind. (Yrisz spends a healing surge and recovers 9 points of damage. Yrisz is no longer bloodied and gains +2 to all her defenses.)

#5 (Initiative Count 10)
    Expended: 6 quarrels
    Held: crossbow

Standard Action: shoot at Konstansz. (Ranged Crossbow -2 vs. AC at distance 15 - misses by 3.)

Minor Action: reload.

Rogur (Initiative Count 7)

Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 26 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 1 healing surge, Trickster's Blade (encounter)
    Hands Free: none
    Held: sling, short sword
    4 temporary hit points

Free Action: reload sling.

Minor Action: pick up sword.

Move Action: head to the other side of the door. (Cost 2; Fleeting Ghost - 2xS. Rogur makes a Stealth Check -
    successful. Rogur is hidden from #6.)

Standard Action: sling with a Sly Flourish at #6. (Ranged Sling vs. AC -
    hits with a modified roll of 22. Sneak Attack - Rogur concusses #6 with 21 points of damage. Rogur is no longer hidden.)
    Fate of the Void (trigger - a cursed enemy is dropped) Konstansz gains the boon of her pact. (Konstansz gains +1 to one roll.)

#6 (Initiative Count 3)
    Expended: Dragon Breath, Ignore Pain, Sweeping Cut
    Held: spiked chain
    49 points of damage

No actions.

PC Results Summary
    Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz sees the Fate of the Void.
    Konstansz is prone.
    Konstansz has spent 2 healing surges.

Konstanz has taken 11 points of damage.

Konstansz has 4 temporary hit points.

Noxias has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Noxias has cast Chill Strike, Fireburst (daily), Flaming Sphere (daily), and Shield.
    Noxias has invoked the power of his Fireburst Armor.
    Noxias is bloodied.
    Noxias has spent 3 healing surges.
    Noxias has taken 22 points of damage.

Rogur has expended 1 potion of healing, rope, 7 crossbow bolts and 26 sling bullets.
    Rogur has employed Trickster's Blade.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur has spent 1 healing surge.
    Rogur has 4 temporary hit points.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Yrisz has cast Channel Divinity, Cure Light Wounds (daily), and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz has used two Healing Words and her Second Wind.
    Yrisz gains +2 to all her defenses.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz is #4's quarry.
    Yrisz has spent 5 healing surges.

Yrisz has taken 13 points of damage.

Enemy Negative Effects Summary
    #4 is cursed.

#6 is unconscious and prone.

Enemy Damage Summary

#3 - 6 points of damage

#6 - unconscious with 49 points of damage

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd suggest that Noxias get some healing on. Does Yrisz have any at-will powers that will buff up the effect of his Second Wind? I am reluctant to spend one of her encounter or daily healing powers (if she has any left) since we're still in combat. Unconscious characters typically don't regain consciousness in short order, so I don't think we need to spend time trussing up the dragonborn, although looting him wouldn't be a bad idea, so Rogur will do that. Weapons that he cannot use go out the door into the water.

Cutopia, will Konstanz be joining us in the room? She's probably not going to be able to do much more laying in the boat.

After we take a quick breath, let's proceed upstairs and see what we can see. Umiushi, is my interpretation of the map--that the doorway circled below is on the second floor, not the first--correct?

Name:	map.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	3781

If so, I'd suggest Rogur stealthily scouts at least 10 spaces ahead, with Yrisz, Noxias and Konstanz bringing up the rear. Thoughts? Assuming something similar to this is acceptable, Rogur will use Fleeting Ghost to move ahead to the stairs. His general plan will be: Move stealthily, stopping at corners to reconnoiter. End each turn in which he does not attack with Total Defense.

Rogur, Round Twelve
    Free: None.
    Minor: None.
    Move: Move to #6
    Standard: Quick loot--any non-magical weapons to be thrown into the water, or at least out the door.

Rogur, Round Thirteen
    Free: Reload sling
    Minor: None
    Move: (Fleeting Ghost) Move out the door toward the stairs, pausing at the corner of the hallway and stairs.
    Standard: Total Defense

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally found him. Hooray!

Well, take polon towards the noise. I am going to assume it is Rogur and the rest of OUR gang.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Noxias

Move to 1S of Rogur's current position. So 2N followed by 1E and then 2S.
    Second Wind.
    Put sword away.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry Palpatim, Yrisz has nothing more to offer in the way of healing really (that I'm aware of).

Which leads me to another point, when are we going to fortify somewhere and take a short rest? I agree that we should probably clear out the building and fortify entrances before we take that rest, but we are pretty low on resources as I see things...Yrisz will of course stay back if Rogur suggests it, as stealth is not one of her virtues really.

I'll think on what Yrisz will do next. Once Konstansz gets in, Yrisz might close the door, and then help Rogur with his search. Do you think we might want to truss the dragon born, I know you thought it might not be need Palpatim, but I would be happier if he was in the case we take a short rest here...just a thought.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got the impression from Umiushi that we were not ready to take a short rest yet, but I could be reading more into his statement than he intended. If I'm mistaken, we should of course take a short rest to let the party heal up and regain powers. If not, then hang back in a group and let Rogur go on ahead. If we're taking a rest, we can truss #6, otherwise, I'd not spend the time.

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes! Konstansz will get the heck out of the boat and join everyone. She is happy with a middle or rear position in the marching order.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yay, we found Polon

Downloads
    Uploads
    We have...oh...I've very purposefully have not been reading what's going on with Zephyr as that makes it much easier to keep out of character knowledge from become in character knowledge. That said, yahoo! We've been looking for poor Polon for no small time now...

Yrisz will close the door and bar it if possible once Konstansz runs in. Yrisz will be quite fine and hopefully safely towards the rear of the group as she a great deal bruised from this trip already, thank you.

I also gathered that resting at this exact moment might not be the thing to do, still, we should turn our thoughts that direction when we can.

~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #50 for Acqua Alta Finale

This post complements the fiftieth Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, September 1st. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, September 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    . . .
    After we take a quick breath, let's proceed upstairs and see what we can see. Umiushi, is my interpretation of the map--that the doorway circled below is on the second floor, not the first--correct?

Name:	map.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	3781
    In this area, the indigo tiles represent a region blocked from your line of sight, not a difference in elevation. Therefore, both open doors are on your level.

The dragonborn isn't carrying much. Besides its weapon, it's wearing a thick, damask belt attached to which are two small sacks. One of the sacks contains a few staters. The other contains three clay vials with cork stoppers.

It appears that Rogur and Noxias have switched rooms. While Rogur is tossing the spiked chain into the water and examining the dragonborn's body, Noxias is in the corridor. No new assailants arrive in the next several seconds, so you have a couple rounds to accomplish this.

Konstansz enters the room and Yrisz shuts the door behind her, effectively preventing further attacks from the crossbow-wielding woman outside. The door itself cannot be barred. Like the rest of the construction here it is crudely-made and flimsy, providing the only barest minimum of function.

The current sense I have of the marching order is that Rogur will take the lead by a good margin, Yrisz will bring up the rear, Konstansz the middle-rear, and Noxias will either be in the back or up front with Rogur. Once I have a final confirmation, I will proceed with what happens next.

As far as a short rest goes, I'm sure you're used to the drill by now: you know you can take a short rest once you've finished taking it. If you get interrupted, then it wasn't the right time. Based on your situation, you should assess the odds that you will be able to obtain an uninterrupted fifty combat rounds in your current location. Keep in mind that there are at least five hostile people, three of whom the bulk of the party is aware of, in this complex who have little need of a short rest themselves. If they are kind enough to let you rest, I'll leave it to your imagination as to how they might be occupying themselves during that interval.

PC Results Summary
    Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 2 healing surges.

Konstanz has taken 11 points of damage.

Konstansz has 4 temporary hit points.

Noxias has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Noxias has cast Chill Strike, Fireburst (daily), Flaming Sphere (daily), and Shield.
    Noxias has used his Second Wind.
    Noxias is bloodied.
    Noxias has spent 4 healing surges.
    Noxias has taken 15 points of damage.

Rogur has expended 1 potion of healing, rope, 7 crossbow bolts and 26 sling bullets.
    Rogur has employed Trickster's Blade.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur has spent 1 healing surge.
    Rogur has 4 temporary hit points.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Yrisz has cast Channel Divinity, Cure Light Wounds (daily), and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz has used two Healing Words and her Second Wind.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz is #4's quarry.
    Yrisz has spent 5 healing surges.

Yrisz has taken 13 points of damage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll march behind Rogur.

If I have another free round to do stuff let me move up a few squares and peek into the other room.

There is no mechanic for "slicing-the-pie" outside a room, is there? Could I move to an adjacent square, then look, then move into the square that has the door then move on to the next square?
    Last edited by Malk0lm; 08-29-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    There is no mechanic for "slicing-the-pie" outside a room, is there? Could I move to an adjacent square, then look, then move into the square that has the door then move on to the next square?
    I'm not one hundred percent sure what you mean by slicing the pie, but if you mean what I think you mean, that is, getting a look at the entire room by moving past the entrance, then it can be done. The main drawback isn't so much what the character sees or doesn't see, but how to represent that in static form on the map without getting too complicated. Some characters might be shown as not in line of sight, when in fact a PC was able to see into those squares a second or two earlier.

Anyway, there are a few ways to do this:

1. A character could simply move across the doorway. The character gets a look at the whole room with a single move action, but must rely on Passive Perception to detect anything hidden, concealed, or hard to spot in the room. An additional drawback is that if there's something that's going to affect the character, like a crossbow trap or a hidden assassin with an opportunity attack, the character won't have time to react to it before crossing any dangerous squares.
    2. A character could also move up to the doorway, or to whatever square gives him or her a look at the whole room, using one move action. Then the character spends a minor action and makes a Perception Check. As stated before, a Perception Check has a 50% of giving a better result than a character's Passive Perception. The character finishes the turn by taking a second move action to move on to the desired square, or taking some other action to respond to whatever the character notices in the room.
    3. You can literally do what you just described, but it would take more than a turn's worth of actions. A) Take a move action to get to the adjacent square. B) Take a minor action to (carefully) look. C) Shift into the square that has the door. D) Shift into the next square on your character's next turn, and then perform whatever other actions are called for.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rogur will retrieve the

Rogur's intent was to stop at each corner, including doorways, specifically to carefully look inside or around corners, so his intent is closest to #3. Malk0lm, Noxias is of course welcome to keep up with Rogur, but if he makes noise (i.e., fails stealth rolls), Rogur will strongly suggest that the wizard remain behind with the main group. The intent is to scout ahead, rather than be an advance guard. Rogur will hand both sacks from the dragonborn to Yrisz, if she's amenable, otherwise, he'll hang them from his own belt so he can examine them later. Perhaps Yrisz will be able to spend some minor actions to examine the newly acquired inventory as we move through the complex.

--T