Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Yikes Konstansz took a beating.
    Can she eldritch blast while lying prone, or is that not possible?
    What is the plan of not getting shot to death?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cutopia View Post
    You can make either melee or ranged attacks while prone, although doing so imposes a -2 penalty to your attack roll. You also *gain* a +2 to defenses against most ranged attacks, however, so there's a bit of a silver lining.

Quote Originally Posted by cutopia View Post
    I'm open to suggestions. My only suggestion thus far is to get away from the shafts of wood with pointy bits flying through the air at us.

--T

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do some kinds of movement also incur penalties to ranged "to-hit" rolls? For example sometime running/jumping targets are harder to hit.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    Do some kinds of movement also incur penalties to ranged "to-hit" rolls? For example sometime running/jumping targets are harder to hit.
    Somewhat counterintuitively, "running" grants you +2 to your speed, but -2 to your defenses (you grant combat advantage) and -5 to your attacks. Also, "running" as a condition applies to any movement (swimming, crawling, etc)--basically, it means you're moving quickly and have less focus on defense or attack.

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well, as of now, maintaining radio silence until internet and such is set up at new home/office.

Zephyr out
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main Post #44 for Acqua Alta Finale

This is the forty-fourth Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, August 11th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, August 13th.

A number of proposed actions for round nine involve interacting with a door. There are two doors in the wall of the building you are approaching at your elevation. I do not recall if you had previously specified which door you were aiming for, so please indicate your choice now.

Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    Rogur will stay in the coracle and tow the boats E/SE to the gap between the other two boats. Then, he'll let Noxias debark, and Noxias can hightail it for the door and try to open it. Rogur can untie the rope from his own coracle and tow Yrisz and Konstanz to the platform, and assist them in leaving the boat.

Umiushi, if you could let me know what rolls will be necessary to accomplish this, as well as the action class (standard, minor, etc) to remove the rope and tow from shore, I'll post Rogur's actions accordingly.
    Untying the rope will be a standard action that requires both hands free. The rope will be "readied" in Rogur's hands at the end of the standard action. No skill check is required.

I should note that there is no platform here, just a couple of boats tied up against a wall. This is a minor point, but a lot of the terrain on this map has been misinterpreted at various times, so I would like to prevent any further confusion as much as possible. The only area that could be construed as a water-level platform is the white region to the south.

Towing (pulling) Yrisz and Konstansz's coracle is a move action. If you do it from a secured location (one of the moored boats or inside a doorway), it requires no skill check. If you attempt to pull them from the unmoored coracle, it can be accomplished by an easy Strength or Dexterity Check if you use the punting pole to brace yourself (rope in one hand, punting pole in the other), or with a difficult Strength or Dexterity Check otherwise.

Under normal circumstances, leaving the boat requires only normal movement, so no assistance is necessary. If a character is tempted to climb, jump, or swim for some reason, Rogur can use the standard Aid Another action with an Athletics Check if he is adjacent to the character. Such an action would be best worked out in advance with any character involved.

Here is the map as it looked at the end of round eight.
    Map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-8.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	3771

Round Eight Combat Summary
    #4 (Initiative Count 24)
    Expended: 9 quarrels
    Held: crossbow

Standard Action: shoot at Konstansz. (Two attacks. Ranged Superior Crossbow vs. AC at distance 11 - both hit. Konstansz takes 7 and 7 for a total of 14 points of damage and is bloodied.)

Minor Action: reload.

Noxias (Initiative Count 21)

Expended: Chill Strike (encounter), Flaming Sphere, Shield, 1 healing surge
    Hands Free: one
    Held: staff
    30 points of damage

No Actions.

End of Turn: Noxias fails his death saving throw.

#3 (Initiative Count 19)
    Expended: 3 quarrels
    6 points of damage

Standard Action: Paint the Bull's Eye on Konstansz. (Long Range Repeating Crossbow -2 vs. AC at distance 11 - hits. Konstansz takes 9 points of damage and her enemies gain a bonus to damage rolls against her.)

Free Action: reload.

Konstansz (New Initiative Count 19)
    Expended: Starfire, 1 healing surge
    Held: rod
    Status: prone, bloodied, takes extra damage from enemy attacks
    31 points of damage

Standard Action: administer healing potion to Yrisz. (Yrisz spends a healing surge, is no longer dying, and gains 10 hit points.)

Yrisz (Initiative Count 18)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Holy Word (encounter - one remaining), 3 healing surges
    Hands Free: two
    Held: holy symbol (worn)
    5 points of damage

4 temporary hit points

Free Action: drop punting pole

Standard Action: Perform First Aid on Noxias. (Heal Check - successful. Noxias uses his Second Wind and spends 1 healing surge to regain 7 hit points.)

Minor Action: pronounce a Healing Word. (Close Burst target self. Yrisz spends 1 healing surge, is no longer bloodied, and regains 24 hit points.)
    Holy Nimbus Effect: Konstansz, Noxias, Rogur, and Yrisz all gain 4 temporary hit points.

Free Action: spend an Action Point.

Standard Action: channel divinity. (Healer's Mercy. Close Burst targeting Konstansz and Noxias. Konstansz spends a healing surge, is no longer bloodied, and regains 20 hits points. Noxias spends a healing surge, is no longer bloodied, and regains 18 hit points. Yrisz is weakened.)

#5 (Initiative Count 10)

Standard Action: shoot at Yrisz. (Basic Ranged Crossbow -2 vs. AC at distance 12 - hits. Yrisz loses her temporary hit points.)

Rogur (Initiative Count 7)

Expended: 1 potion of healing, rope, 7 crossbow bolts, 24 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 1 healing surge
    Hands Free: none
    Held: punting pole
    4 temporary hit points

Minor Action: put away sling.

Standard Action: tie coracles together. (Noxias and Konstansz's coracle may now be towed at half speed.)

Minor Action: pick up punting pole.

Free Action: spend an Action Point.

Move Action: move east-southeast at maximum speed (Cost 5 - fast punting SE; fast punting and towing SE, E.)

One further modification: Rogur will need the punting pole.

It may be questioned why all the penalties of running are conferred despite the coracles' very slow movement. The answer is that coracles are also very precarious. While towing or being towed at this speed, great care must be taken to avoid tipping the coracle over. The tradeoff is that in this manner, there is no risk of capsizing, which would be a very hazardous situation at this point.

PC Results Summary
    Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz is prone.
    Konstansz is in a "running" vessel.
    Konstansz is taking extra damage from enemy attacks.
    Konstansz has spent 2 healing surges.

Konstanz has taken 11 points of damage.

Konstansz has 4 temporary hit points

Noxias has cast Chill Strike, Flaming Sphere (daily) and Shield (daily).
    Noxias is prone.
    Noxias is in a "running" vessel.
    Noxias has spent 3 healing surges.
    Noxias has taken 3 points of damage.

Noxias has 4 temporary hit points

Rogur has expended 1 potion of healing, rope, 7 crossbow bolts and 24 sling bullets.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur is in a "running" vessel.
    Rogur has spent 1 healing surge.
    Rogur has 4 temporary hit points

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has spent 1 Action Point (none remaining).
    Yrisz has cast Channel Divinity, Cure Light Wounds (daily), and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz has used one Holy Word.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz is prone.
    Yrisz is in a "running" vessel.
    Yrisz is weakened.
    Yrisz has spent 3 healing surges.

Yrisz has taken 5 points of damage.

Enemy Damage Summary

#3 - 6 points of damage

Round Nine (In Progress)
    #4 (Initiative Count 24)
    Expended: 10 quarrels, Tag the Prey

Minor Action: designate Hunter's Quarry. (Yrisz is now #4's quarry.)

Standard Action: shoot at Yrisz. (Tag the Prey. Ranged Superior Crossbow -2 vs. AC at distance 9 - hits with Hunter's Quarry. Yrisz is bloodied with 25 points of damage.)

Expended: Chill Strike (encounter), Flaming Sphere, Shield, 3 healing surges
    3 points of damage

4 temporary hit points

Noxias's provisional actions:
    Move A
    ction: stand up.

Move Action: move to one of the doors.

Minor Action: open the door

Further actions will have to be deferred to a subsequent round. Spending Noxias's one Action Point would let him take one additional action this turn.

Minor Action: examine the new area. (Perception Check)

Move Action: carefully enter the room. (Shift)

Standard Action: ready a Thunderwave spell. (Ready Action)

#3 (Initiative Count 19)
    6 points of damage

Standard Action: have #4 fire at Yrisz. (Direct the Strike. #4 makes a basic ranged attack against Yrisz. Ranged Basic Superior Crossbow -2 vs. AC at distance 9 - misses by 1.)

End of Turn: Konstansz no longer takes extra damage from enemy attacks.

Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    11 points of damage
    4 temporary hit points

Konstansz's actions.

Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Holy Word (encounter - one remaining), 3 healing surges
    30 points of damage

Yrisz's actions.

#5 (Initiative Count 10)

#5's actions.

Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 24 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 1 healing surge
    4 temporary hit points
    Start of Turn: Rogur is no longer fast punting.

Rogur's actions.

Zephyr
    Zephyr's armor was not taken.

Zephyr has managed to free himself from his bonds. The rest will be dealt with when Yukonhorror returns.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 08-10-2012 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Healer's Implement

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll move E, SE, E to the sou'easterly door.

I'll spend the action point and the action will depend on what I perceive beyond the door. Rather than give a complicated paragraph of if...then can I reserve the action for after the perception check?

EDIT: Poor Yrisz, I'll need to find a way to back her up at some point. A wizard should be able to heal something, amiright?
    Last edited by Malk0lm; 08-09-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Downloads
    Uploads
    First, ouch, but Yrisz is still conscious. Yahoo! That was more then I could have hoped for.

Second, we are nearing the end of what healing Yrisz can administer this encounter, so let us be as efficient as we can please.

Third, Umi the extra point of healing from the magic item doesn't come intrinsically from that item as you correctly stated, but is activated by Yrisz feat Healer's Implement.

Healer's Implement: When you grant healing with any of your cleric healing powers, add your holy symbol's enhancement bonus to the hit points the recipient regains.

Third, I'll try to lay down a tentative set of actions, with the first point being quite certain:

Minor Action: Healing Word Yrisz
    * Healing Word *

Move Action: Stand
    Standard Action used as a Move: E, SE, E, SE, E

Running might happen depending on how everybody ends up, but this is my tentative plan. I understand that Yrisz might have to delay her turn to after Rogur's to make things work out properly (which will give the MGs crossbow man #5 another shot at her before she can heal again), but you can see where I'm heading with this and so we can now dance.

Next mystery, what is behind door #1?

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    08-09-2012 11:46 PM
    Healing Word : 2d6 (2,4 = 6) + 4 (4)+ 3 (3)+ 1 (1) = 14

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    . . . I'll spend the action point and the action will depend on what I perceive beyond the door. Rather than give a complicated paragraph of if...then can I reserve the action for after the perception check? . . .
    You may decide how to spend your action point after I describe the space beyond the door, yes. However, in terms of having an active Perception Check, you will note that doing so doesn't fit the total number of actions allowed for that turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithelryn View Post
    . . . Third, Umi the extra point of healing from the magic item doesn't come intrinsically from that item as you correctly stated, but is activated by Yrisz feat Healer's Implement. . . .
    Thank you for reminding me about Healer's Implement. I have now edited the combat report to reflect the correct healing totals. This does remind me that I have either misplaced or haven't received the level 4 version of Yrisz, which would be handy around now. I'm not sure I have the level 4 version of Rogur, for that matter. Speaking of handy, if you're using Healing Word on yourself, feel free to include Yrisz's healing surge value. That will save me from having to derive it from your level 3 character or the prior combat report.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 08-10-2012 at 03:53 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    You may decide how to spend your action point after I describe the space beyond the door, yes. However, in terms of having an active Perception Check, you will note that doing so doesn't fit the total number of actions allowed for that turn.
    So, standing up, moving to the door, opening the door will not allow me to look inside? Isn't that a free action; looking at something? Does an active perception check perform better than a passive one?

If I don't die from opening the door (ie a trap) then I'd like to spend the action point reacting to whatever is beyond the door, or simply move into the room.
    Quote:

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still waiting for the others to define actions before I go to print on mine, though if we hit a deadline then that's that.

Umi, Yrisz healing from her Healing Word is 24 hit points in total, which means she still has 6 hit points of damage on her. Her character sheet will be in your inbox shortly Umi, though if it ever becomes a problem I think I've been good at updating her stats in the character string.

Be well all.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, standing up, moving to the door, opening the door will not allow me to look inside? Isn't that a free action; looking at something? Does an active perception check perform better than a passive one?
    I believe my answer was the opposite of your conclusion. I would not "describe the space beyond the door" if your character was unable to look inside immediately. An active perception check is used to discover things that are not obvious just from looking for a few seconds: traps, hidden items or creatures, or unusual details. Your character still has a chance to notice some of this through his Passive Perception. However, an active Perception Check, requiring a minor action, has a 50% chance of outperforming Passive Perception.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithelryn View Post
    I'm still waiting for the others to define actions before I go to print on mine, though if we hit a deadline then that's that.

Umi, Yrisz healing from her Healing Word is 24 hit points in total, which means she still has 6 hit points of damage on her. Her character sheet will be in your inbox shortly Umi, though if it ever becomes a problem I think I've been good at updating her stats in the character string.

Be well all.
    Thank you, I have received your character.

My calculation for Yrisz's healing is 9 (Healing Surge Value) + 6 (Healing Word) + 4 (Healer's Lore) + 3 (Pacifist Healer) + 1 (Healer's Implement) = 23. Is there a missing bonus?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    Thank you, I have received your character.

My calculation for Yrisz's healing is 9 (Healing Surge Value) + 6 (Healing Word) + 4 (Healer's Lore) + 3 (Pacifist Healer) + 1 (Healer's Implement) = 23. Is there a missing bonus?
    Nope, your dead on with 23 HP, I had thought I that I was in a hurry at the time (it proved that I wasn't) but I didn't double check my math. I should have because I had the sneaky feeling that I had made an error. Sorry.

So while we still don't have a full pictures of what going on before Yrisz goes, like what is Konstansz going to do. My intentions for Yrisz is to get into the south door, hopefully in a way that the snipers no longer have line of sight on her, if that requires her running, so be it. Meta-game wise I would love to hear what she's running into, in terms of what Noxias is seeing, but honestly story wise she simply would want to run in there as it is more likely to be better then the prospects she faces outside.

She will hopefully get to execute her run on her own turn, because I don't like the idea of another one of the MGs getting a shot on her before she can run away, as her falling unconscious now would really cause the party a lot of harm with them trying to save her. To much exposure.

That's about it for me. Best of luck all!
    Last edited by Ithelryn; 08-12-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #45 for Acqua Alta Finale

This post complements the forty-fifth main post in the Acqua Alta Finale thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, August 14th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, August 16th.

Here is the map depicting the area as it is just before Noxias spends his action point.

Map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-9a.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	3772

Map Notes:
    The indigo squares show the areas outside of Noxias's line of sight. Please note that the room Noxias enters is bounded by interior walls and is smaller than the overall structure.

Round Nine (In Progress
    )
    #4 (Initiative Count 24)
    Expended: 10 quarrels, Tag the Prey

Minor Action: designate Hunter's Quarry. (Yrisz is now #4's quarry.)

Standard Action: shoot at Yrisz. (Tag the Prey. Ranged Superior Crossbow -2 vs. AC at distance 9 - hits with Hunter's Quarry. Yrisz is bloodied with 25 points of damage.)

Expended: Action Point (encounter), Chill Strike (encounter), Flaming Sphere, Shield, 3 healing surges
    4 temporary hit points
    Move Action: stand up.

Move Action: move to one of the doors (Cost 2; normal - E, SE. Noxias is no longer "running.")

Minor Action: open the door

Free Action (Noxias may take a free action to make a Nature Check to try to identify his opponent.)

Free Action: spend an Action Point. (Noxias may take one additional standard or lesser action.)

Noxias's action.

#3 (Initiative Count 19)
    6 points of damage

Standard Action: have #4 fire at Yrisz. (Direct the Strike. #4 makes a basic ranged attack against Yrisz. Ranged Basic Superior Crossbow vs. AC at distance 9 - misses by 1.)

End of Turn: Konstansz no longer takes extra damage from enemy attacks.

Expended: Starfire, 2 healing surges
    11 points of damage
    4 temporary hit points

Konstansz's actions

Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Action Point (encounter), Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Holy Word (encounter - none left), 4 healing surges
    7 points of damage

4 temporary hit points

Minor Action: Healing Word on Yrisz (Close Burst targeting self. Yrisz spends 1 healing surge, is no longer bloodied, and regains 23 hit points.)
    Holy Nimbus Effect: Yrisz gains 4 temporary hit points.

Move Action: stand up.

Move Action: head inside. (Cost 5; normal - E, SE, E, SE, E. Yrisz is no longer "running.")

End of Turn: Yrisz is no longer weakened.

#5 (Initiative Count 10)

#5's actions

Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 24 sling bullets, Action Point (encounter), 1 healing surge
    4 temporary hit points

Start of Turn: Rogur is no longer fast punting.

Rogur's actions

#6 (Initiative Count 3)
    #6 is wearing leather armor and wielding a spiked chain.

#6's actions