Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main Post #42 for Acqua Alta Finale

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    This is the forty-second Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, August 4th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, August 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    Umi, I am just waiting on my results of my rolling. Next week is when I leave, so we can either a) wrap it up quick or b) delay until I have reliable internet access.
    I understand your situation will be chaotic until you are settled in again. Please post when you have the opportunity.

As for the rolling results, these are the most recent I could find, from post #450:
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    I had to try.

I guess I'll try to maneuver for a better view then do a perception
    This is my reply, from Main Post #40 (post #456):
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    . . . .
    Zephyr is successful in wiggling around to get a full view of his surroundings. He's in a relatively large room, empty of furnishings. In addition to the person next to him, he discovers that the two missing scribes are here, similarly bound and gagged, as well as a bored-looking guard who notes his movement but gives it only a passing glance. Of more immediate interest, there is a splintered and warped section of the wooden floor next to him that might serve as a way to free his bonds.

The following checks are relevant: Dexterity (Acrobatics) to wriggle over to the splintered section; Dexterity (Acrobatics) or Strength (Athletics) to weaken his bonds with that section; Stealth or Bluff and a reasonable-sounding excuse to avoid the guard's intervention in doing so.
    It is always possible that I missed a post, but I haven't been able to locate one, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    So if I save this, will I be able to do anything, or just lie there bleeding out?
    For a death saving throw, a result of 1-9 brings your character closer to death. A result of 10-19 means no change. A result of 20 indicates recovery. However, the death saving throw is always taken at the end of the turn, so the answer for that turn is that Noxias doesn't do anything other than make death saves. On a natural 20, or (more likely) if Noxias is healed by an ally, then Noxias will be in a position to take actions on his subsequent turn.

Here is the completed round seven, or I should say one potentially completed round seven. I have a question for Konstansz, which I will ask after presenting this combat summary.

Map: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-7b.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	3764

Round Seven Combat Summary
    #4 (Initiative Count 24)
    Expended: 7 quarrels
    Held: crossbow

Minor Action: reload.

Standard Action: shoot at Noxias. (Two attacks. Ranged Superior Crossbow vs. AC at distance 10 - both hit. Noxias takes 7 and 8 for a total of 15 points of damage and is bloodied.)

Noxias (Initiative Count 21)

Expended: Chill Strike (encounter), Flaming Sphere, Shield, 1 healing surge
    Hands Free: one
    Held: staff
    21 points of damage

Standard Action: cast Scorching Burst at #3 and #4. (Area Burst Fire -2 vs. Reflex at distance 10 - both miss with modified results of 7 and 9.)
    #3 (Initiative Count 19)
    Expended: 2 quarrels
    6 points of damage

Standard Action: Paint the Bull's Eye on Noxias. (Ranged Repeating Crossbow vs. AC at distance 10 - hits. Noxias is downed by 9 points of damage and his enemies gain a bonus to damage rolls against him.)

Free Action: reload.

Yrisz (Initiative Count 18+)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), 1 healing surge
    Hands Free: none
    Held: holy symbol (worn), punting pole
    47 points of damage

End of Turn: Yrisz fails her death saving throw.

Konstansz (Initiative Count 18)

Expended: Starfire, 1 healing surge
    Held: rod
    4 points of damage

No Action: delay turn.

This is the only way to use the healing potion this round.

#5 (Initiative Count 10)
    Expended: 1 quarrel

Standard Action: shoot at Konstansz. (Basic Ranged Crossbow -2 vs. AC at distance 13 - hits. Konstansz takes 4 points of damage.)

Rogur (Initiative Count 7)

Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 23 sling bullets, 1 healing surge
    Held: sling

Minor Action: retrieve healing potion.

Minor Action: give healing potion to Konstansz.
    Konstansz's Opportunity Action (trigger - given an item): ready potion of healing.

Minor Action: retrieve rope.

Konstansz (New Initiative Count 6)
    8 points of damage

Standard Action: administer healing potion to Yrisz. (Yrisz spends a healing surge, is no longer dying, and gains 10 hit points.)

PC Results Summary

Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 1 healing surge.
    Konstansz is prone.
    Konstanz has taken 8 points of damage.

Noxias has cast Chill Strike, Flaming Sphere (daily) and Shield (daily).
    Noxias is prone.
    Noxias is dying.
    Noxias has spent 1 healing surge.
    Noxias has taken 30 points of damage.

Rogur has expended 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts and 24 sling bullets.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur has spent 1 healing surge.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has cast Cure Light Wounds (daily) and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz is prone.
    Yrisz has spent 2 healing surges.
    Yrisz is bloodied.
    Yrisz has taken 29 points of damage.

Enemy Damage Summary

#3 - 6 points of damage

So, this is one way the round can play out. What happens at the beginning of round eight should be clear: #3 and #4 take their turns first. Of course, they will shoot at Yrisz. This leaves Konstansz with a number of options. She can stand pat, and I'll start on round eight. She could also delay her turn until after one or both of the gang members. Of course, that means they'll be shooting at either Konstansz or Rogur instead of Yrisz. There is also a "third option," which is always defined as the "unspecified option that the DM didn't consider."

I'm explaining this in detail for two reasons. The first is that this is a good case study of the effect of the initiative count ordering on combat. The second is that Konstansz didn't explicitly ask to delay her turn; that's just my interpretation of how to execute her desired action. Therefore, I would like to give Konstansz some stake in the results: what will she choose to do?
    Last edited by Umiushi; 08-02-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, rather surprised that #3 and #4 can make out what is happening at the bottom of a coracle 55 ft away from them, though admittedly they have quite a bit of elevation on us (dang snipers nests). I guess I imagined coracle to be more like a canoe or a gondola with steep sloped walls (which even 40 ft of elevation would be hard pressed to overcome). I'm sure my mental image of the coracles are a bit suspect as every description of them so far hasn't engender any form of confidence.

Anyway, good luck staying up Konstansz and Rogur. Noxias and Yrisz are count on you two!

I'll try to come up with some healing cocktail that might give us a chance to row out of this mess, it really depends on how the battlefield is laid out when (if) Yrisz gets her turn.
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    p.s. Umi, thanks for giving Konstansz a chance to out flank the sniper problem, having two of the party members on their backs dead and dying might be fitting for the trap we've wondered into, but is not necessarily that fun or at least lead to much more then tragic story (where the Rogur escapes alone into the night muttering about "continued rotten luck" :-)

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This link to a picture of a Welsh coracle may assist in your imagery: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aenordeifi.jpg It is the most similar design I could find to the ones that the party is using.

As for this combat, think of the last seventeen encounters as rehearsals for this one. I know that only Zephyr has been there for all of the previous ones, but all of you have experienced some fraction of them, even if just one, in the case of Konstansz; and they are all recorded here as well. I'll be counting on you to utilize what you've learned to win the day.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nope, I totally missed your response, sorry.

Play to my strengths (as best I can)

* acro to wiggle *

* bluff to act like I am trying to scratch my bum rather than break free *

* to bust free *

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    08-03-2012 08:16 AM
    acro to wiggle : 1d20 (1)+ 2 (2) = 3
    bluff to act like I am trying to scratch my bum rather than break free : 1d20 (12)+ 5 (5) = 17
    to bust free : 1d20 (7)+ 9 (9) = 16
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well if at some point I can do something useful I will fey step to the other boat and start hauling people in. In any event I'll start designing a character that has a bit more useful spells against ranged enemies.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You could work on that. The rules regarding serious and mortal injuries may also be of interest to you at this point:
    http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...238#post110238

Downloads
    Uploads
    This link to a picture of a Welsh coracle may assist in your imagery: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aenordeifi.jpg It is the most similar design I could find to the ones that the party is using.

Wow, yeah, that was not what I was imagining at all. You definitely can't use that thing for cover especially if they have elevation on you, which this blokes absolutely do.

Sorry all for posting late in the period, I've been working this weekend.

I don't know when Konstansz will use that healing potion, but assuming it allows Yrisz a turn, I'm left in a bit of conundrum regarding how Yrisz lays down her healing.

Yrisz has three healing powers that she can use during a single turn, two are encounters (one that can not be used on herself) and one is a daily power. If she unloaded on herself it might buy her another round, though that is big might as that action is quite unlikely bring her to full hit points and the MGs have already decisively proven that they can deal her hit points in damage in under a round.

Another option is she could use her daily power, Heal Light Wounds, on herself and then use her much more powerful Healing Word on Noxias and even perhaps action point to Channel Divinity Healer's Mercy if at least 2 characters are bloodied (which I think there will be). Though with that action taken the MGs would have to be very unlucky to not drop Yrisz that very round with a high likelihood of a 'serious injury' death on her part without a daily power to mitigate it until an extended rest (which I don't see coming for a while).

As unappealing as it sounds, I'm leaning towards the second option as that is the only one that I see majorly helping the party get out of this mess (I'm pretty much considering Yrisz a write off at this point).

I might have her just use her Second Wind (and heal Noxias) but that makes her a LOT harder to stabilize or wake her as the Use Second Wind DC is 10 and Stabilize DC is 15. Though the upshot is when (if) she's revived she will have her daily heal available to assist recovery.

Any thoughts before I really do have to decide this.

~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I partially retract my previous bleak observation, Yrisz can heal herself to full hit points (I was thinking of my 7th level Cleric's HP total). It will buy us a small amount of time, though the only thing that can solve our current dilemma is getting out of that crossbow fire. Any idea's on how Yrisz can help in those regards, or is healing quite enough with the others managing us ashore. If Yrisz stays down she can get a +2 verses ranged attacks, if she uses her Second Wind (which brings it's own hazards) she can have another +2 to all defenses. The down side is if she doesn't get up then she can't punt during her second round up (if that happens) and she can't make a quick run of it once we dock.

Again, thoughts?

~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main Post #43

This is the forty-third Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, August 7th. The next main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, August 9th.

My posting period is coming to an end, so I'm going to have go ahead and finalize round seven. In the absence of primary instructions, I note that one player has spoken for the proposed alternate action and none have spoken against it, so I will go ahead and delay Konstansz's actions until after those taken by #3 and #4.

Map:
    Refer to the previous map for the results of Round Seven, except that there should be a yellow background for Yrisz's icon, indicating that she is still unconscious at the end of this round.

Round Seven Combat Summary
    #4 (Initiative Count 24)
    Expended: 7 quarrels

Standard Action: shoot at Noxias. (Two attacks. Ranged Superior Crossbow vs. AC at distance 10 - both hit. Noxias takes 7 and 8 for a total of 15 points of damage and is bloodied.)

21 points of damage

Standard Action: cast Scorching Burst at #3 and #4. (Area Burst Fire -2 vs. Reflex at distance 10 - both miss with modified results of 7 and 9.)

#3 (Initiative Count 19)
    Expended: 2 quarrels
    6 points of damage

Standard Action: Paint the Bull's Eye on Noxias. (Ranged Repeating Crossbow vs. AC at distance 10 - hits. Noxias is downed by 9 points of damage and his enemies gain a bonus to damage rolls against him.)

Yrisz (Initiative Count 18+)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), 1 healing surge
    47 points of damage

End of Turn: Yrisz fails her death saving throw.

Konstansz (Initiative Count 18)

4 points of damage

No Action: delay turn.

This is the only way to use the healing potion this round.

#5 (Initiative Count 10)

Standard Action: shoot at Konstansz. (Basic Ranged Crossbow -2 vs. AC at distance 13 - hits. Konstansz takes 4 points of damage.)

Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 23 sling bullets, 1 healing surge
    Held: sling, rope

Minor Action: retrieve healing potion.

Minor Action: give healing potion to Konstansz.
    Konstansz's Opportunity Action (trigger - given an item): ready potion of healing.

Minor Action: retrieve rope.

PC Results Summary

Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 1 healing surge.
    Konstansz is prone.
    Konstanz has taken 8 points of damage.

Noxias has cast Chill Strike, Flaming Sphere (daily) and Shield (daily).
    Noxias is prone.
    Noxias is dying.
    Noxias has spent 1 healing surge.
    Noxias has taken 30 points of damage.

Rogur has expended 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts and 24 sling bullets.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur has spent 1 healing surge.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has cast Cure Light Wounds (daily) and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz is prone.
    Yrisz has spent 2 healing surges.
    Yrisz is dying. (two failed death saving throws)
    Yrisz has taken 47 points of damage.

Enemy Damage Summary

#3 - 6 points of damage

Round Eight (In Progress)
    #4 (Initiative Count 24)
    Expended: 9 quarrels

Standard Action: shoot at Konstansz. (Two attacks. Ranged Superior Crossbow vs. AC at distance 11 - both hit. Konstansz takes 7 and 7 for a total of 14 points of damage and is bloodied.)

30 points of damage

End of Turn: Noxias fails his death saving throw.

#3 (Initiative Count 19)
    Expended: 3 quarrels
    6 points of damage

Standard Action: Paint the Bull's Eye on Konstansz. (Long Range Repeating Crossbow -2 vs. AC at distance 11 - hits. Konstansz takes 9 points of damage and her enemies gain a bonus to damage rolls against her.)

Konstansz (New Initiative Count 19)
    Status: prone, bloodied, takes extra damage from enemy attacks
    31 points of damage

Standard Action: administer healing potion to Yrisz. (Yrisz spends a healing surge, is no longer dying, and gains 10 hit points.)

Yrisz (Initiative Count 18)
    29 points of damage

Yrisz's actions

#5 (Initiative Count 10)

#5's actions

Expended: 1 potion of healing, 7 crossbow bolts, 23 sling bullets, [action point (encounter)], 1 healing surge
    Hands Free: [one]
    Held: [sling], rope

Rogur's provisional actions:
    Minor Action: put away sling

Standard Action: tie coracles together

Free Action: spend an action point

Double Move Action: move northeast at maximum speed
    (this would be three squares northeast from towing the other coracle, but please see the note below)

Please note the gray line on the map indicates a crumbling stone wall (belonging to the original manor) that is blocking northeast movement after two squares.

Entries in brackets are based on Rogur's provisional actions.

Zephyr

Zephyr's bluff succeeds; the guard does not notice anything suspicious concerning his actions.

Zephyr still needs to successfully maneuver in place (Dexterity) and once there, use either Strength or Dexterity to weaken his bonds.

The captive next to Zephyr is watching him curiously, now. If Zephyr trusts this person, he can make a Charisma check to transmit his intent, and perhaps gain some assistance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Umi, here is what I'm thinking of in terms of Yrisz actions for Round 8.

Standard Action: Healing Use Noxias's Second Wind for him which is a DC 10 heal check, no check needed for Yrisz.

Minor Action: Healing Word Self (Yrisz)

* Healing Word *

Healing Word: 2X Encounter (Divine, Healing), minor action, Close Burst 5, Person or one ally, effect: Target spends healing surge +1d6 hit points. (plus Wis hit points due to Healer's Lore and plus 1d6 + chr healing from Pacifist Healer, +1 magic item, Surge+2d6+8)

◦ Symbol of the Holy Nimbus (Yrisz - Healing Words) Whenever Yrisz speaks a Healing Word, Yrisz and all allies within 5 squares gain 4 temporary hit points.

Action Point: Healer's Mercy to effect Konstansz and Noxias.

* Channel Divinity Healer's Mercy *

Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy- Encounter (Divine, Healing), Standard Action, close burst 5, each bloodied ally in burst, effect: each target can spend a healing surge and you are weakened until the end of your next turn. (plus Wis hit points due to Healer's Lore and plus 1d6 + chr healing from Pacifist Healer, +1 magic item, Currently Surge+1d6+8)

Might as well make Yrisz one round up count!

08-06-2012 09:52 PM
    Healing Word : 2d6 (6,1 = 7) + 4 (4)+ 3 (3)+ 1 (1) = 15
    Channel Divinity Healer's Mercy : 1d6 (3)+ 4 (4)+ 3 (3)+ 1 (1) = 11

~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Zephyr gives her the "eye" to indicate the loose plank. Did they take my armor. If so, add 1 to my athletics and acro checks

* charisma check to sway the other captive *

* acro to move over *

* athletics to break free *

08-07-2012 07:17 AM
    charisma check to sway the other captive : 1d20 (6)+ 5 (5) = 11
    acro to move over : 1d20 (17)+ 2 (2) = 19
    athletics to break free : 1d20 (17)+ 9 (9) = 26
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rats. I'm afraid I did not see that gray line on the map; it appeared to be one of the gridlines when I viewed it. In light of that, I would like to change Rogur's actions, especially as Yrisz is up and about.

Rogur will stay in the coracle and tow the boats E/SE to the gap between the other two boats. Then, he'll let Noxias debark, and Noxias can hightail it for the door and try to open it. Rogur can untie the rope from his own coracle and tow Yrisz and Konstanz to the platform, and assist them in leaving the boat.

Umiushi, if you could let me know what rolls will be necessary to accomplish this, as well as the action class (standard, minor, etc) to remove the rope and tow from shore, I'll post Rogur's actions accordingly.

"I smell a whole lotta 'if' coming off of this plan." –Jayne Cobb, Firefly

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Ith. It's nice to not be almost dead. So I'll go along with Rogur's plan.

So here are some tentative plans:

If we get to the gap without any problems then I'll go with Tim's plan. Move to the door, open it and go inside careful to no provoke any attacks of opportunity. Also I think it would be prudent to attempt to perceive what is beyond the door or if it is boobytrapped. I'll prepare thundewave for a potential tactical entry into the room if it appears to be locked, trapped or if there appears to be someone menacing beyond it.

If we have some problems getting to the gap then I'll try a long jump or fey step to get across and begin pulling everyone in.

There is quite a bit of vagary in this plan so I'm not sure how it will play out. I'll look for Umi's guidance depending on the order of things.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi all,

I'll post my story post as soon as I'm sure at the exact direction the actions is actually taking.

I still have a move action available to me this round, but as I thought Yrisz would be subject to another round of crossbow fire before her chance to disembark arrived so I thought to leave her on the deck to at least make her a harder target to hit. I think I'll still keep her down (loosing a move action) and deal with running at Round 8.

If not, I hope all the healing I handed out will help a little.

Much luck to us (of the good kind).

~Mother Teresa