Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'd really like to get around to the platform before we engage these guys, but it looks like they may attack if we proceed south, even if we skirt the edges of their compound. If that's the case, Rogur will target the same enemy as Noxias.

Rogur, Round Four
    Init:
    * Rogur - Init *

Minor: Draw sling
    Free: Load sling
    Move: None
    Standard:
    * Rogur - Sly flourish ranged vs. AC *
    * Rogur - Ranged damage *

[EDIT: Please repeat Malk0lm's facepalm here...]

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    07-06-2012 01:14 PM
    Rogur - Init: 1d20 (1)+ 6 (6) = 7
    Rogur - Sly flourish ranged vs. AC: 1d20 (3)+ 9 (9) = 12
    Rogur - Ranged damage: 1d6 (6)+ 7 (7) = 13

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    . . .
    I don't know what kind of hp I am down after waking up, but spend at least 3 HS.

I think it is athletics to escape, right? Can I do some fancy tongue work to at least ungag myself?
    . . .
    When you wake up, you are at 0 hit points and must spend at least one healing surge. You may spend up to four healing surges.

Escaping from bonds is an Acrobatics Check. Alternatively, you can try to make a Strength Check to apply brute force to the matter. You could also try Endurance, if you're willing to spend hit points and/or healing surges to force the matter.

Dealing with the gag is a straight Dexterity Check unless you escape your other bonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    . . .
    Do I have both Chill Strike and Fire Shroud available to me?
    . . .
    Yes. Chill Strike and Fire Shroud are both encounter-type spells, meaning you can cast both of them once each between Short Rests.

Spells that Noxias needs to choose between are the utility and daily types. In his case, that means choosing between Shield and Feather Fall each day, and choosing between Flaming Sphere and Acid Arrow each day.

So in your opinion, which fellow has the wickeder-looking crossbow? Is the prominent lever or the case on the stock more threatening? Your guess as to who can do the most damage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    I'd really like to get around to the platform before we engage these guys, but it looks like they may attack if we proceed south, even if we skirt the edges of their compound. If that's the case, Rogur will target the same enemy as Noxias.
    So as for the structure that #3 and #4 are standing on, it suggests on the map that it is a 4 story structure (perhaps 3 stories now that the water is at the level it is at?), which means docking with it and climbing it my prove challenging (correct?). Our other option is to move dead ahead, jump that building and then run across the fence (which would take Yrisz two turns judging by Umi's earlier stated rules on such an action).

The seeking shelter in the building plan would be an easier docking and what not, but might expose us to enemies in the building. Sieging the tower might be the faster option, but might not be easily possible for the whole party due to the need to succeed at a rough climb. Or we could stop and simply 'broad side' it with #3 and #4, they have cover and perhaps some place to scurry away to, but we can probably lay down some serious damage if we focus on it. Anybody have any other thoughts on this assault?

Lastly, Cutopia are you still here? You are Yrisz's fire support. Any thoughts?
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithelryn View Post
    So as for the structure that #3 and #4 are standing on, it suggests on the map that it is a 4 story structure (perhaps 3 stories now that the water is at the level it is at?), which means docking with it and climbing it my prove challenging (correct?).
    Yes, it is three stories above you, so #3 and #4 will always be at a minimum distance of 6 regardless of how close anyone gets to them on the water level, and will enjoy cover or superior cover from attacks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    Yes, it is three stories above you, so #3 and #4 will always be at a minimum distance of 6 regardless of how close anyone gets to them on the water level, and will enjoy cover or superior cover from attacks.
    Thank you Umi, that's exactly as I feared.

Ok, executive decision time as I'm not hearing from anybody else. Yrisz is going to punt the heck out her boat heading to the east to the west facing dock (that is a dock right?) on the North East Building (as that is our heading at this point anyway). If Konstansz indicates she wants to shoot at somebody Yrisz will slow it to a double move East. If not, then it is going to be a fast punting this move even if that gives the MGs a much unneeded combat advantage on the two of us.

My reasoning for this is because the visible MGs wouldn't be in range from anything that Yrisz could throw that them even if we were parked right under their tower.

So unless there is feedback regarding Konstansz Yrisz is going to be:
    Move & Standard Action: Fast Punt East x10

Next round I'm think off sliding our boat in with a turn action and disembarking to face whatever adventure has found us in the tower.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yeah...hehe.

* Initiative Check *

07-07-2012 11:51 PM
    Initiative Check : 1d20 (16)+ 2 (2) = 18

~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Her attention having wandered for a while due to the hypnotic rippling of the water, Konstansz snaps back to attention and realizes a fight is at hand!

* Initiative *

If there is an opponent in range by the time her initiative comes round, Konstansz will attempt to Curse/Eldritch Blast them:

* Curse and Eldritch Blast closest opponent if any in range *

* Eldritch Damage if applicable *

07-08-2012 06:41 PM
    Initiative: 1d20 (17)+ 1 (1) = 18
    Curse and Eldritch Blast closest opponent if any in range: 1d20 (18)+ 7 (7) = 25
    Eldritch Damage if applicable: 1d10 (8)+ 6 (6)+ 1d6 (3) = 17

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #37 for Acqua Alta Finale

This post complements the thirty-seventh main post in the Acqua Alta Finale thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, July 10th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, July 12th.

The next post may be late, brief, or both. I will be out of touch all day Wednesday and most of Thursday.

Information for Zephyr's actions and checks is found in post #422 of page 29 of this thread.

Here is the completed round four, and nearly-complete round five. I just need Konstansz and Rogur's next actions to finish it.

Map: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-5a.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	3718

Round Four Summary
    Start of Combat
    #3 - Spur to Action. (Close Burst targeting self and allies. Targets may choose to re-roll initiative once, but must take the second score if they do.)

#4 (Initiative Count 24)
    Held: crossbow

Move Action: come into view.

Standard Action: ready action.

Noxias (Initiative Count 21)
    Expended: Flaming Sphere, Shield, 1 healing surge
    Hands Free: none
    Held: punting pole
    6 points of damage

Move Action: pilot coracle. (Turn. Cost 1 - SE. Change heading to east.)

Move Action: pilot coracle. (Move. Cost 3 - SE.)

#3 (Initiative Count 9 rerolled to 19)

Standard Action: ready action.

Yrisz (Initiative Count 18+)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), 1 healing surge
    Held: holy symbol (worn), punting pole

Move Action: pilot coracle. (Turn. Cost 1 - SE. Change heading to east.)

Move Action: pilot coracle. (Move. Cost 3 - SE.)

Konstansz (Initiative Count 18)
    Expended: Starfire, 1 healing surge
    Hands Free: one
    Held: rod

No opponent in range. No actions taken.

Rogur (Initiative Count 7)
    Expended: 7 crossbow bolts, 24 sling bullets, 1 healing surge
    Held: sling

Minor Action: draw sling.

Free Action: load sling

Standard Action: attack #4. (Sly Flourish. Ranged Hand Crossbow -2 vs. AC - misses with a modified result of 10.)

Noxias didn't attack this round, so the target is determined by random assignment.

PC Results Summary
    Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 1 healing surge.

Noxias has cast Flaming Sphere (daily) and Shield (daily).
    Noxias has spent 1 healing surge.
    Noxias has taken 6 points of damage.

Rogur has expended 7 crossbow bolts and 24 sling bullets.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur has spent 1 healing surge.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has cast Cure Light Wounds (daily) and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz has spent 1 healing surge.

Round Five (In Progress)
    #4 (Initiative Count 24)
    Expended: 2 quarrels

Standard Action: shoot at Yrisz. (Two attacks. Ranged Superior Crossbow vs. AC at distance 11 - misses by 5, hits. Yrisz takes 3 points of damage.)

Minor Action: reload.

Noxias (Initiative Count 21)
    Expended: Chill Strike (encounter), Flaming Sphere, Shield, 1 healing surge
    Held: staff

Free Action: drop the punting pole in the boat.

Minor Action: grab staff.

After that impressive reloading display, Noxias targets #4.

Standard Action: cast Chill Strike at #4. (Ranged Cold -2 vs. Fortitude at distance 9 - misses with a modified result of 10. #4 is slowed.)

End of Turn: the coracle is out of control and drifts 1 square east.

#3 (Initiative Count 19)
    Expended: 1 quarrel

Standard Action: shoot at Yrisz. (Paint the Bull's Eye. Long Range Repeating Crossbow -2 vs. AC at distance 11 - hits. Yrisz takes 9 points of damage and her enemies gain a bonus to damage rolls against her.)

Free Action: load repeating crossbow.

Yrisz (Initiative Count 18+)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), 1 healing surge
    Held: holy symbol (worn), punting pole
    Status: piloting coracle, takes extra damage from enemy attacks
    12 points of damage

Double Move Action: pilot coracle. (Move. Cost 6 - 6xE.)

Konstansz seems to want to attack, but is too far from any targets.

Konstansz (Initiative Count 18)
    Expended: Starfire, 1 healing surge
    Held: rod

Actions

#5 (Initiative Count 2 rerolled to 10)

Move Action: step into view.

Standard Action: hurl torch at pile of refuse (Ranged Basic Thrown vs. AC at distance 5 - hits. Floating Dragontar Trap activates.)
    Floating Dragontar Trap's Immediate Reaction (single-use trigger - activated) detonate. (Close Blast Explosion vs. AC targeting Noxias, Rogur, and their coracle at distance 2 - misses Noxias by 7, misses Rogur by 4, automatic miss against the coracle. The red squares on the map represent flaming dragontar that will threaten any character who ends their turn in such a square. This also includes the two squares presently occupied by Noxias and Rogur's coracle.)

Minor Action: ready crossbow.

Rogur (Initiative Count 7)
    Expended: 7 crossbow bolts, 23 sling bullets, 1 healing surge
    Held: sling

Actions
    Last edited by Umiushi; 07-09-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like we need to adjust our course slightly in order to avoid treading water by the end of the next round. Rogur will take over punting duties to let Noxias do his wizard thing.

Rogur, Round Five
    Free: None
    Minor: Pick up punting pole
    Move: Double move: SEx4, S, S. The primary intent of the move action is to punt out of the fire. The secondary intent is to continue to the nearest landing from which we may enter the building. I don't see any way for us to ascend the towers--our athletics checks aren't spectacular, and we'd be sitting ducks for the crossbow-wielders as we attempted to ascend. My assumption continues to be that the only feasible way to get into the complex is to make our way to the white area and use the door there. If that assumption is incorrect, speak up and I'll adjust my action before the posting period ends.
    Standard: None

Downloads
    Uploads
    So in your opinion, which fellow has the wickeder-looking crossbow? Is the prominent lever or the case on the stock more threatening? Your guess as to who can do the most damage.
    Since the thug was not named I will have to describe. The portly guy who has been doing all the talking has introduced someone who carries a crossbow and remains silent? I am aiming for the silent fellow. Not the obnoxious one.

Edit: #4 as you say.
    Last edited by Malk0lm; 07-09-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Umi, What is this blue square to the east that is in between the brown areas? Is that something that we can go through that will provide some cover?
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    My assumption continues to be that the only feasible way to get into the complex is to make our way to the white area and use the door there. If that assumption is incorrect, speak up and I'll adjust my action before the posting period ends.
    The only water level entrance to the southern complex is the door in the white area. There are two doors leading to the northeast building next to the boats; I'll include those on the next map. There are no obvious water-level entrances to the central tower or the northwest tower.

Umi, What is this blue square to the east that is in between the brown areas? Is that something that we can go through that will provide some cover?
    That's just the space between the two boats over there. It can be entered with your coracle, but does not provide cover.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    dexterity to ungag
    * dex check to ungag *

then use str to unravel self
    * brute strength to escape *

07-09-2012 03:46 PM
    dex check to ungag : 1d20 (2)+ 3 (3) = 5
    brute strength to escape : 1d20 (4)+ 5 (5) = 9
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's just the space between the two boats over there. It can be entered with your coracle, but does not provide cover.
    So the levels are not 1st story = green, 2nd = orange, 3rd = purple?

We should be able to tie up in the NE next to the other boats and just begin searching/fighting/burning the place down?

Also, I realize that I have automatic save against fire damage due to my armor, so can I just keep blasting them from the flames? Are we on fire? Is the coracle taking damage? I must be behind on things because I'm asking so many questions.

Edit: If I am on fire, does my armor also protect my backpack and everything in it? If I gave Rogur a really tight hug, would it save him too? (Honestly I just want an excuse to hug him!)
    Last edited by Malk0lm; 07-09-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Quote:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So the levels are not 1st story = green, 2nd = orange, 3rd = purple?

We should be able to tie up in the NE next to the other boats and just begin searching/fighting/burning the place down?

Also, I realize that I have automatic save against fire damage due to my armor, so can I just keep blasting them from the flames? Are we on fire? Is the coracle taking damage? I must be behind on things because I'm asking so many questions.

Edit: If I am on fire, does my armor also protect my backpack and everything in it? If I gave Rogur a really tight hug, would it save him too? (Honestly I just want an excuse to hug him!)
    Those are the correct levels. Maybe I misunderstood your earlier question.

There are places to tie up in the northeast, but supply your own rope, unless you want to untie some of the other boats.

The initial attack missed everyone, including your coracle, but if you remain in the red squares, you will be subject to additional attacks for every turn you remain there.

In most cases, as long as you don't gain the helpless condition, your belongings are protected against incidental damage from various attacks. This is generally true unless such damage is largely unavoidable due to environmental or other conditions, such as complete immersion in a substance. The most common way to gain the helpless condition is to fall unconscious from losing all of one's hit points.