Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    he wishes. in addition to the nice monologue, put myself into the total defense position.
    That's with or without drawing the heavy war pick?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought me drawing it is what provoked the knife in the side? If it isn't drawn already, keep it undrawn I suppose.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    I thought me drawing it is what provoked the knife in the side? If it isn't drawn already, keep it undrawn I suppose.
    The knife in the side was by virtue of the fellow's higher initiative roll.

The same map as before still holds.

Round One Summary
    Start of Combat

#1 - Begin the Hunt. (#1 gains +2 to initiative. Zephyr is #1's quarry. While Zephyr remains #1's quarry, #1 gains +2 to all attacks against Zephyr.)

#2 - (Initiative Count 14+)
    Held: short sword, hand crossbow

Standard Action: ready action.

#1 - (Initiative Count 14)
    Expended: Begin the Hunt (daily)
    Held: two spears

Standard Action: total defense.

Zephyr (Initiative Count 12)
    Expended: rope, sun rod, Life Thane Rage, 5 healing surges
    Hands Free: both
    Held: none
    6 points of damage

Standard Action: total defense

Round Two (In Progress)
    #2 - (Initiative Count 14+)

Held: short sword, hand crossbow

Standard Action: ready action.

#1 - (Initiative Count 14)
    Expended: Begin the Hunt
    Held: two spears

Start of Turn: total defense from the previous round expires.

Standard Action: renew total defense.

Zephyr (Initiative Count 12)
    Expended: rope, sun rod, Life Thane Rage, 5 healing surges
    Hands Free: both
    Held: none
    6 points of damage

Start of Turn: total defense from the previous round expires.

Last edited by Umiushi; 06-29-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #35 for Acqua Alta Finale

This post complements the thirty-fifth main post in the Acqua Alta Finale thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, July 3rd. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, July 5th.

Very well, the dice will determine Yrisz's recovery, and they say she gets back Healing Word and Healer's Mercy. In light of that, here's the current PC results summary.

PC Results Summary

Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 1 healing surge.

Noxias is sustaining a Flaming Sphere (daily).
    Noxias has cast Shield (daily).
    Noxias has spent 1 healing surge.
    Noxias has taken 6 points of damage.

Rogur has expended 7 crossbow bolts and 23 sling bullets.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur has spent 1 healing surge.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has cast Cure Light Wounds (daily) and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz has spent 1 healing surge.

Zephyr has used his length of rope and a sun rod.
    Zephyr has expended Life Thane Rage (daily).
    Zephyr is using non-lethal attacks.
    Zephyr has spent 1 action point (none remaining).
    Zephyr has spent 5 healing surges.
    Zephyr has taken 6 points of damage.

Correction to Missile Weapon Loading Rules
    I just stumbled across this a few days ago. All missile weapons with the "load" property require two hands to load. This includes all bows, crossbows, and slings. One hand holds the weapon, the other loads it. I don't remember whether or not I've enforced this before, but I was previously inclined to ignore it for slings. This correction will be in effect starting with the present combat.

Map: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewField1-2b.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	3708
    The map shows your positions at the end of round 2. Up to now, boat travel has been mainly a one-dimensional affair. The following are rules relevant to freer navigation with your coracles. Please note some changes from the prior rules governing the chase, and the fact that these rules are specific to the vessels you are using, in some cases.

Coracles
    Unlike the boats used by the Matchless Gang, the Library's coracles are smaller and flimsier.

Pilots
    In combat, only one character may pilot the boat during any combat round. The current pilots are Noxias and Yrisz. Yielding control to another character is a free action, but the character gaining control can take no other action that involves piloting the vehicle during that round.

Out of Control
    If the pilot does not spend any action related to the movement of the vehicle on their turn, the vehicle is considered "out of control," and obeys whatever effect is specified in the vehicle's description.

Combat Conditions
    An Immobilized vehicle does not move except by forced movement.
    A vehicle knocked Prone instead takes 1d10 damage and is slowed.
    A Restrained vehicle does not move by any means short of teleportation.

Opportunity Attacks
    Vehicle movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Heading
    Unlike creatures, vehicles have a specific heading, the direction of movement. This is shown on the map by a black arrow at the front of the vehicle. A vehicle's heading affects its movement as described below.

Vehicle Movement Commands

Drive - Uses a pilot's move action. Move the vehicle up to its speed. Movement must be in the direction of the heading, or up to 45 degrees to the right or left of the heading, but the heading does not change.

Ram - Uses a pilot's standard action. Move the vehicle up to its speed, ending adjacent to a creature or object in the direction of its heading. If the target is medium or smaller, make a bull rush charge attack using the pilot's attributes. If successful, the target is affected as per a bull rush. If the target is at least large size, the attack fails and the coracle takes 1d10 damage for every square it traveled.

Stop - Uses a pilot's move action. The vehicle comes to a halt.

Turn - Uses a pilot's move action. Move the vehicle up to half its speed. Movement must be in the direction of the heading or up to 45 degrees to the right or left of the heading, which does not change the heading. At any point during this movement, the heading may itself be changed up to 90 degrees in either direction. At the end of the movement, the vehicle is reoriented according to its heading.

Character Inexperience
    Because your characters are not adept at punting, if you specify piloting actions that violate the various conditions outlined here, rather than asking for a revision to those actions, I will simply move the boats in a manner closest to the movement specified, up to the limit of their capability. Although it is not likely, this does have the potential of leaving your characters in unfortunate tactical positions, so please take heed. See especially the "fast punting" attribute of the library coracle for an obvious example.

Library Coracle
    Large Vehicle (2 squares long by 1 square wide)

Movement Qualities
    Swim 3

Pilot - The pilot holds a pole and punts the boat. One or both passengers may pilot, provided they have poles and know how to punt. In order to punt, a pilot must be using a punting pole with both hands.

Load - Up to 2 medium or small creatures.

Out of Control - An out of control (see below) coracle moves at half speed in the direction of its heading at the end of the pilot's turn, and then stops.

Attributes
    Capsizing - For every close or melee attack beyond the first made or received by the passengers in a combat round, that uses force or untyped damage, the coracle must make a saving throw or be overturned, depositing all the passengers into the water.

Fast Punting - Increases the coracle's speed by +2, but all passenger grant combat advantage and take a -5 penalty to their attacks until the start of the pilot's next turn.

Fragile - A coracle with 20 hit points or less will automatically fail any saving throw regarding being capsized. The coracle will sink immediately when it reaches 0 hit points.

Righting - An overturned coracle may be righted with a standard action. Returning to the coracle requires an Acrobatics or Athletics Check (Dexterity or Strength) with a difficulty of 10. On a success, the passenger enters the coracle standing up; on a failure by 4 or less, the passenger enters but is prone. On a failure of 5 or more, the passenger does not enter and the coracle must save or be overturned once more.

AC 4 Fort 12 Reflex 4 Will N/A
    HP: 40
    Immune to necrotic, poison, and psychic damage.
    Immune to all attacks that target Will.
    Vulnerable 5 fire

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm back, the surgery went well (I think), recovery was bumpy so I was sequestered at my twin's house until she thought me ready to return home, which was today. I thought I'd be back by Thursday, oh well.

I've noted Umi that Healing Word and Healer's Mercy are back online for Yrisz, yahoo!

Ug, Zephyr is so far away from us, I wonder how we are going to possibly support him...

So, everybody else. Plan of attack on this?

It sounds like trouble is going to be coming from our East and South (west) in term of boats.

Windows are problematic, so actual attacks can come from all directions.

My thoughts do revolve around getting off the water ASAP as these coracle's don't seem sturdy (see the 'Fragile' section in Umi's previous post), but of course contrary to that want it looks like the docks on the 1 story (white) section is our ideal drop off point...

Umi, are the docks the only place we can safely land our coracles? I'm not including weapon wielding scoundrels in this 'safe' equation mind you.

My first thought moves towards the bluff approach with the old ginger (he doesn't seem the diplomatic type). "Of course we are working with the Matchless Gang", drop some names (that we were collecting while hiding waiting to ambush them at the Temple) and we park our flimsy vessels where we please and then stick the knife spectacular.

Ok, it's a nice day dream, anybody have some viable ideas?

Deception still seems the driest corse to me.

Yrisz has a 5 Bluff and Streetwise skill and a 10 Diplomacy Skill.

Thoughts and ideas, and paths of rowing when our wylie ways fail us and we are punting for our lives, literally? Thoughts on keep our boats near each other, thoughts on taking separate paths which is a balancing act between breaking up their fire and breaking up our support abilities?

Sorry, more questions then answers. I will be posting later in this period dictating what Yrisz will be actually doing.
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    p.s. My thoughts on Yrisz's actions this round do revolve around her mostly rowing for both her Move and Standard, unless talking is required of her.
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithelryn View Post
    . . .
    Umi, are the docks the only place we can safely land our coracles? I'm not including weapon wielding scoundrels in this 'safe' equation mind you.
    . . .
    Wherever you "park" your coracles, you may wish to consider securing them somehow so they don't randomly float away. Due to the lack of currents here, however, they probably won't float very far, and they are not likely to be significantly damaged from gently bumping into other objects, either.

The two locations where you see other boats stowed look like the most convenient places to actually enter the structure. The southern area lets you immediately walk around on dry ground. The northeastern area has entrances (not shown), that you could possibly enter or force your way into.

You can also park next to the garbage, for whatever reason, but you are unsure how stable it is. Finally, you can conceivably stop next to any structure at all. The main difference is what you do after that. If you are next to a multi-story building or wall, the only thing to do at that point in terms of entry is to start climbing.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, Rogur's Athletics isn't going to be much help in any kind of climbing situation, so I'd say our best bet is to skirt around the NW tower, and make our way to the white squares in the south, there to enter the structure via the door.

Rogur's "long" sling range is 20, so he can attack #3 if it becomes necessary. But we may wish to simply play along, and not incur his attacks until we're ready to land on the white platform. He'll undoubtedly raise an alarm, but there's little help for that, at this point. I'd suggest we double-move and "fast punt", as long as we're not under attack. If both people in the boat are helping to punt, that'd get us there in about 3 rounds.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    should have shifted last turn too

ahh well. I guess they want a throwdown. You may not be able to support me, but that's ok. I normally don't like separating the party, but this is kind of fun.

A little meta-gaming, maybe you can yell for Lywthast to see if she is in ear shot (thus alerting me)

move: shift S towards other baddy
    Minor: draw pick
    Std: Escalating violence vs. #2' AC

* escalating violence vs. #2 AC *

* dam; if I take dam, i get +2 to dam/atk rolls *

and if these are bad, you should use my earlier rolls

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    07-02-2012 07:52 AM
    escalating violence vs. #2 AC : 1d20 (13)+ 7 (7) = 20
    dam; if I take dam, i get +2 to dam/atk rolls : 2d12 (11,12 = 23) + 3 (3)+ 2 (2) = 28

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    sorry, make that SW, not S

Downloads
    Uploads
    My extreme range is 10, so I vote for an immediate change in course from S to E to keep #3 at as long a range as possible, then when we are in range of Zephyr we can start attacking. Rogur can take some pot shots at #3 as we punt past.

Edit: I was thinking that it might be a good idea to shout out to Zephyr and maybe Zeph will move N along the top of the wall. It will be precarious but may be better than fighting on two fronts.
    Last edited by Malk0lm; 07-02-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For this combat, the coracles will behave accordingly each round whether movement is specified or not. Also, unless they are rescinded, I intend to prioritize movement by whomever is piloting the coracles (currently Noxias and Yrisz) whether or not the movement is couched as a suggestion. Please keep this in mind as we enter the last day of the current player posting period.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If Zephyr is inside the "tower", our changing course wouldn't assist him. My understanding is that we need to get inside the structure and ascend it to be of any assistance to our doughty companion. My suggestion was intended to get us to the south "platform" of white squares as quickly as possible. I don't object to engaging #3 at range (especially since we have 3--count 'em!--ranged attackers in the boats right now) but we still need to figure out, in-game, where we're going.

Yukon, the idea of shouting for Lywthast only works if we're actually searching for her. At this point, I think we're keeping an eye out for the scribes (whose names escape me for the moment) and aren't terribly interested in drawing attention to ourselves. However, if we do start to take on #3, I imagine you'll hear something from that.

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know the name of the scribes too... (at least Zephyr does :P) I am sure I can recognize your voice. But I wasn't sure if you were still in "stealth" mode. (to best keep in character, I haven't been reading your posts in depth).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    ... whether or not the movement is couched as a suggestion.
    Agreed, in terms of game play, we can consider the suggestion equivalent to Noxias shifting his body position and that of the pole to make the course correction without physically stating to Rogur that he intends to go a particular direction. Rogur is keen enough to deduce the direction of travel and make other suggestions on it if necessary.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."