Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    * Rogur - Athletics *

[Edit: *sigh* This may take a while...]

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    05-18-2012 06:49 AM
    Rogur - Athletics: 1d20 (10)+ 3 (3) = 13

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    do I need to reroll, or am I settled?

---------- Post added at 06:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

I REALLY need to read both before posting...

What do you mean by "owlish"?

Is the woman Lythwast, or is that a different boat? Do I recognize her (as in, I met her the day she pushed that acolyte into the water)? I'll check the forums laterish today, but if not, I'll post an official response on Monday.

Here are some contingencies though so I don't stall the story too much.

If it is Lythwast, totally park next to the boat.

If it is the lady from the docks, keep rowing. I KNOW she is a matchless gang (why else attack the church).

If it appears to be a church person, punt parallel, but not close enough to reach me. I just want to talk, not be boarded.

Basically, zephyr wants to know who this lady is and what she wants.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    For the first Athletics Check, Noxias failed an Aid Another attempt, so Rogur is at -1 to his check.
    Sorry

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    * Rogur - Athletics *

[Edit: *sigh* This may take a while...]
    So for this I can't make my own athletics check because the Aid another already failed? Otherwise I'll try my own hand at punting.

05-18-2012 12:48 PM
    Rogur - Athletics: 1d20 (20)+ 3 (3) = 23
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Downloads
    Uploads
    * Attempting to perceive *

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Oh my gosh! a natural 20... maybe I do know where the southern boat is after all!

05-18-2012 10:01 PM
    Attempting to perceive: 1d20 (20)
    05-18-2012 10:02 PM
    Attempting to perceive: 1d20 (11)

Downloads
    Uploads
    owlish |ˈouli sh |
    adjective
    like an owl, esp. in acting or appearing wise or solemn : he had an owlish and solemn air.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Oh boy, Yukonhorror, I think by drawing the party away from Zephyr, I've caused you a degree of grief that I wasn't tactically aware of until after the decision was made. I strongly suspect that you are dealing with the authorities. I also suspect your quite right about the level of corruption amongst said authorities. This theory is supported by how easily the Matchless Gang has been able to move against their enemies without official opposition despite the fact that a small team of low heroic level characters have been able to at least blunt specific attacks and remove mid-level controller in their organization.

authority |əˈθritē; ˈθr-| (abbr.: auth.)
    noun ( pl. -ties)
    1 the power or right to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience : positions of authority

Anyway, this is still all guesses, but I wanted to say sorry as I see which way the winds seem headed.

Rogur, if you succeed due to Aid Another Checks or whatever, please feel free to continue pursuit of those guys. We will try to catch up after you've snared them.

* Yrisz Athletics check *

Wow, a natural 20! Let more come to us players please!

edit: I've been trying to stay positive, but Athletics isn't one of Yrisz strong points, she's a bit of a flower picking type and probably doesn't play anything more exhausting then Badminton.

I never took statistics, but my suspicion is that Yrisz now has less then a 15% chance of succeeding in this skill challenge (and only started with a bit bellow 30% chance). Right now she has to get three outright successes before one more total failure, the chances of failing are 5% less that of succeeding (thus roughly equal). This is all calculated before the whole Endurance part of the challenge comes to play which drops success levels to pretty much zero for Yrisz (unless the Endurance check proves to be a very low number) and 'not good' for Rogur. Let us hope for the best rolls but formulating another plan should be the order of the day. Sorry, I'm in 'playtest' thinking mode right now...
    Last edited by Ithelryn; 05-19-2012 at 12:59 PM.

05-19-2012 12:30 AM
    Yrisz Athletics check : 1d20 (5)+ 3 (3) = 8
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Umi,

I think I've done all the damage I can do for this round, but let me know if I missed a roll on something.
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    Umi,

I think I've done all the damage I can do for this round, but let me know if I missed a roll on something.
    Oh yeah, I see the whole -1 thing to Rogur, though it didn't hurt him too bad as the -1 didn't drop his success/failure level. Still, Malk0lm I think you should continue the aid another checks. If you can get him a +2 at some point it really turns the tide moving his absolute fail chance to only around 25% and his success chance to 50/50 or more depending on how the Endurance check thing proves to be...

That said, like I posted in my earlier (when I was a bit too tired and undiplomatic to be posting) that I don't think the contest of punting arms is going to get us to them unless we prove very lucky (which I'm sure you've all seen in games). I think Cutopia's detection efforts and following the clues are what will get us there in the end....

Also, another thought (in case I haven't made things confusing enough), we could story wise decided that we aren't making any headway on the Southern Group and move to reinforce poor Zephyr. Player wise, while the whole 'damsel in distress' is important to me, the player in distress is even more important...we haven't reached that point yet, but if I'm divining my moves correctly that is where we are heading...

-------
    We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~Mother Teresa
    Last edited by Ithelryn; 05-19-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: 10% to 25%, my bad...
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #23 for Acqua Alta

This post complements the twenty-third main post in the Acqua Alta Finale thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, May 22nd. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, May 24th.

The party has one success and one failure. The question is: do Rogur and Noxias take the success, or does everyone take the failure?

Anyway, there's no need to only make one check at a time. Make the decision to stick together or separate, and then roll until your situation becomes obvious. You take multiple rolls in one post. I will take them in order as long as I have an idea of what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    . . . Do I recognize her (as in, I met her the day she pushed that acolyte into the water)? I'll check the forums laterish today, but if not, I'll post an official response on Monday.

. . .

If it is the lady from the docks, keep rowing. I KNOW she is a matchless gang (why else attack the church). . . .
    Zephyr remembers her from that day, so attempts to row past her boat. Roll initiative for Zephyr. Zephyr is no longer in the Rage of the Life Thane, and no longer has temporary hit points. His current status is as follows:
    Zephyr has used his length of rope and a sun rod.
    Zephyr has cast Acid Orb and Flame Spiral.
    Zephyr has expended Arcane Prodigy, Escalating Violence, Life Thane Rage (daily), Roar of Triumph, Savage Growl, and Second Wind.
    Zephyr is using non-lethal attacks.
    Zephyr has spent 1 action point (none remaining).
    Zephyr has spent 2 healing surges.
    Zephyr has taken 19 points of damage.

Zephyr has not had the opportunity to take a short rest, but nevertheless gains the following benefits:

• Zephyr may spend one healing surge at the point when he rolls initiative.
    • Zephyr regains the use of Second Wind.
    • Zephyr regains the use of any two of the following expended powers: Acid Orb, Arcane Prodigy, Escalating Violence, Flame Spiral, Roar of Triumph, or Savage Growl.

Zephyr may punt his boat as a move action. Evading the skiff that the Trade Ministry official is on requires a Dexterity Check and two move actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    So for this I can't make my own athletics check because the Aid another already failed? Otherwise I'll try my own hand at punting.
    That is correct. It's either an Athletics Check on your own or an attempt to Aid Another. However, since I would the party to continue to make rolls until a resolution is come upon, I can take this roll as your Athletics Check for the next turn.

Quote Originally Posted by cutopia View Post
    Oh my gosh! a natural 20... maybe I do know where the southern boat is after all!
    Konstansz certainly does now, but so did Yrisz. Konstansz's opportunities to assist in this operation are currently limited, unless she thinks of something. However, if she cannot assist, that does mean there is a chance for her to take a Short Rest.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    The party has one success and one failure. The question is: do Rogur and Noxias take the success, or does everyone take the failure?
    So, my questions are:

* Reiterating Umiushi's question: do we let Rogur and Noxias keep moving, thus splitting the party further, or stay together, thus lessening the odds of any of us catching the southbound boat? If we elect to split, perhaps Konstansz can indicate to Rogur & Noxias which way the boat went?
    * On board the good ship Rogur and Noxias, who will roll and who will aid? Rogur's Athletics score is a rather anemic 3

Once we decide what to do, I'll make a post with several rolls to speed the resolution of the situation.

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't THINK I did the fee for the pick (that's why I bought a hammer), but I honestly can't remember. In any case, double move to keep punting, but don't "run" as I don't want the AC penalty. Need more skill rolls?
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, my questions are:

* Reiterating Umiushi's question: do we let Rogur and Noxias keep moving, thus splitting the party further, or stay together, thus lessening the odds of any of us catching the southbound boat? If we elect to split, perhaps Konstansz can indicate to Rogur & Noxias which way the boat went?
    * On board the good ship Rogur and Noxias, who will roll and who will aid? Rogur's Athletics score is a rather anemic 3

Once we decide what to do, I'll make a post with several rolls to speed the resolution of the situation.

--T
    Color me surprised, Noxias has a better athletics score than Rogur?

Anyway my vote is for splitting further after one of the ladies is kind enough to point us in the right direction.

So I guess the athletics check falls to me and Rogur can do the aiding.

Round N
    * Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 1 *

* Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 2 *

* Noxias - Endurance - Attempt 1 *

Round N+1
    * Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 3 *

* Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 4 *

* Noxias - Endurance - Attempt 2 *

Round N+2
    * Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 5 *

* Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 6 *

* Noxias - Endurance - Attempt 3 *

EDIT: Ugh... might want to turn tail and see if Zephyr is dead or not.

05-21-2012 02:25 PM
    Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 1 : 1d20 (6)+ 4 (4) = 10
    Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 2 : 1d20 (14)+ 4 (4) = 18
    Noxias - Endurance - Attempt 1 : 1d20 (5)+ 3 (3) = 8
    Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 3 : 1d20 (7)+ 4 (4) = 11
    Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 4 : 1d20 (20)+ 4 (4) = 24
    Noxias - Endurance - Attempt 2 : 1d20 (12)+ 3 (3) = 15
    Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 5 : 1d20 (1)+ 4 (4) = 5
    Noxias - Athletics - Target 15 - Attempt 6 : 1d20 (19)+ 4 (4) = 23
    Noxias - Endurance - Attempt 3 : 1d20 (1)+ 3 (3) = 4
    Quote:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Round N
    * Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 1 *
    * Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 2 *

Round N+1
    * Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 3 *
    * Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 4 *

Round N+2
    * Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 5 *
    * Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 6 *

Yeah, this could be a long haul...

As to your other suggestion, the rest of the party doesn't know about Zephyr's troubles: he's safely out of sight to the east.

--T

05-21-2012 04:34 PM
    Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 1 : 1d20 (18)+ 3 (3) = 21
    Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 2 : 1d20 (4)+ 3 (3) = 7
    Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 3 : 1d20 (1)+ 3 (3) = 4
    Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 4 : 1d20 (12)+ 3 (3) = 15
    Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 5 : 1d20 (4)+ 3 (3) = 7
    Rogur - Athletics Aid - Attempt 6 : 1d20 (14)+ 3 (3) = 17

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I realize that I need to expand on my statement concerning aiding Endurance Checks. A character such as Rogur, who is not punting, may freely use Aid Another for Endurance Checks as well as Athletics Checks. Also, a character such as Konstansz, who cannot punt, may nevertheless make Aid Another rolls for a punter's Endurance Check. However, doing so would preclude any possibility of taking a Short Rest.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    I don't THINK I did the fee for the pick (that's why I bought a hammer), but I honestly can't remember. In any case, double move to keep punting, but don't "run" as I don't want the AC penalty. Need more skill rolls?
    Yes, make one Dexterity Check for each double move. If your result is 12 or more, you have punted around them. If your result is 8-11, they are moving to cut you off. If your result is 7 or less, they have blocked your forward progress and are adjacent to your boat.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's Rogur's endurance Aid checks. Hope it doesn't hurt more than it helps!

Round N
    * Rogur - Endurance Aid *

Round N+1

Round N+2

05-21-2012 09:41 PM
    Rogur - Endurance Aid: 1d20 (11)+ 3 (3) = 14
    Rogur - Endurance Aid: 1d20 (4)+ 3 (3) = 7
    Rogur - Endurance Aid: 1d20 (19)+ 3 (3) = 22

Downloads
    Uploads
    As to your other suggestion, the rest of the party doesn't know about Zephyr's troubles: he's safely out of sight to the east.

--T
    Well, if Noxias had a moment to put 2 and 2 together I think he would come to the conclusion that it is safe to assume Zephyr is always near death unless evidence points to the contrary!
    Quote: