Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    zephyr JUST took the multiclass feat to learn that fancy inferno power. As it is multiclassing, Zephyr definitely knows NOTHING about rituals. He barely knows how to use the powers he has (in game). But out of game, he gets to trade one encounter power from his base class with one from the multiclass (sorcerer not wizard).

If we need to get out in the water, Zephyr has a reputation of diving right in (at least three times I want to say...). He just hasn't found a need yet.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to thank Itheryn for helping me define Nox as a character. I love the thought of him being sort of unwilling to get himself dirty and worrying about things like where his next meal will come from. He sort of has a skewed view of Maslow's hierarchy.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    I think I should further clarify my earlier post. Konstansz and Marc saw Lywthast and the scribes in this room. Then the Matchless Gang showed up and they were forced to flee. The only exit from this room leads to the flooded first floor. Neither Konstansz, nor Marc, nor the rest of the party has since encountered Lywthast or the scribes, so where are they now? They are unlikely to be swimming by the stairs or hiding in the library that the Matchless Gang was clearly aware of.
    I don't really understand this statement, does this mean that Lywthast and the scribes are unaccounted for and were in-between the Matchless Gang and Konstansz and Marc before we arrived?

If they are missing and with the cloaked ones on the boats, between the two items might have to be grabbing boats after all and give pursuit. But I shan't jump the gun yet as neither Yrisz nor Ithelryn have any real ideas of what are going on, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    I have to thank Itheryn for helping me define Nox as a character. I love the thought of him being sort of unwilling to get himself dirty and worrying about things like where his next meal will come from. He sort of has a skewed view of Maslow's hierarchy.
    Your welcome, I think…though I do love richly made characters. Some of the GMs I play with require an entire character write up with inter-connected character histories before stats hit the sheet. I find it makes for very rich gaming experiences (and take a little bit weight of story off the GM), though it is not something easily achieved in strangers meeting type PbP games, especially with the musical chairs (in terms of players) that seem to go on.
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay... hmm. What are these cloaked figures about? They are in the boats being taken by the thugs?
    Do any of them look like Lywthast?
    Konstansz very much wants to talk to her.

If the thugs are taking away people by force who have been hooded to conceal their unwilling state then Konstansz wants to find a boat ASAP and pursue!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main Post #16

This is the sixteenth Acqua Alta Finale main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, April 28th. The next main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, April 30th.

It is very likely that I will make another post or two during my posting period. I don't intend to leave the bookkeeping until next week, but I do wish to address these two recent sets of questions immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithelryn View Post
    I don't really understand this statement, does this mean that Lywthast and the scribes are unaccounted for and were in-between the Matchless Gang and Konstansz and Marc before we arrived?
    This is something that Konstansz and Marc really have to provide the answer to. However, let me reiterate my question: where are Lywthast and the scribes? If you don't know where they are, where would you look for them and why?

Quote Originally Posted by cutopia View Post
    Okay... hmm. What are these cloaked figures about? They are in the boats being taken by the thugs?
    Do any of them look like Lywthast?
    There are three figures seated upright on two of the boats that look like they might belong to the Matchless Gang. They are wearing hoods and cloaks, and not facing towards the tower or otherwise moving. I cannot satisfactorily answer the third question: any of them look as much or as little as Lywthast as a heavily hooded and cloaked figure would. In terms of size, all of them look roughly as tall as adult humans and human-like races; there are no goliaths or halflings among them.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd have to go back through the maps to see where to look for them, BUT... Here are some guesses:

The super secret super ominous (is that the right word?) door. The room with the ortolans (sp?). OR... They are in a boat. Got me an idea though.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice idea, Yukon!

I unfortunately don't remember the location at this point, but Rogur will race to the location where we found the boat last time--we know it's on this floor. Umiushi, I'll make an in-game post to that effect. If timing matters, then Rogur will double-Run to make his moves.

[Edit]
    Found the in-game post relating to the boats. Scroll down to post #577.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...ua-Alta/page39

Rogur's destination would be the second story entrance, there to get the winch to raise the door, and to lower the tragets from their cradles if necessary.
    Last edited by Palpatim; 04-25-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well, zephyr doesn't NEED NO BOAT!

* athletics to swim to the boat with one of the hooded figures *

* athletics for second move *

I don't remember exactly, but i recollect one boat having 2 hooded figures, one with 1 right? Go towards the one with one. I figure Lywthast is the target, but Duvek and his wife are just wrong place wrong time.

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    04-25-2012 03:08 PM
    athletics to swim to the boat with one of the hooded figures : 1d20 (13)+ 9 (9) = 22
    athletics for second move : 1d20 (10)+ 9 (9) = 19

Downloads
    Uploads
    So we are kinda mixing some RP posts with some fighting rounds, so I'm not sure where I'm at, but it looks like all the boats (except the one with 13) are in range of Nox's teleport. Umi, can you confirm?

Perhaps I can Fey Step (without getting wet!) and then have my sphere race along?

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Other options would be to grab the rope and tie a loop in it then direct a Mage Hand out to loop it around one of the people, or a cleat on the boat.

Umi, I would appreciate it if you could loosely define the rules for either of these scenarios?

Thanks!

EDIT: Updated link http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...552#post135552 since my account has different filters than yours
    Last edited by Malk0lm; 04-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    I don't remember exactly, but i recollect one boat having 2 hooded figures, one with 1 right? Go towards the one with one. I figure Lywthast is the target, but Duvek and his wife are just wrong place wrong time.
    The eastbound boat has one figure, the southbound boat has two, so looks like Zephyr's heading east.

Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    So we are kinda mixing some RP posts with some fighting rounds, so I'm not sure where I'm at, but it looks like all the boats (except the one with 13) are in range of Nox's teleport. Umi, can you confirm?

Perhaps I can Fey Step (without getting wet!) and then have my sphere race along?

Other options would be to grab the rope and tie a loop in it then direct a Mage Hand out to loop it around one of the people, or a cleat on the boat.

Umi, I would appreciate it if you could loosely define the rules for either of these scenarios?

Thanks!

EDIT: Updated link http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...552#post135552
    The last map was from the end of combat round ten. Some time has passed since then, especially going by the narrative posts. I can't really see someone unhurriedly changing their shirt in less than three rounds, for example. However, I will take a charitable approach, and assume that some of what has been described doesn't actually occur. Here is a map showing the boats at the end of round eleven, which has certainly passed.

I'll assume that Zephyr calls out to the boats on round eleven, and views their response at the bottom of the round. We'll continue with round twelve.

Map: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MagusL2-11a.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	3664
    (I made this map in a hurry, because I wanted to post it relatively quickly in response to the party's current actions. Therefore, some of the positions of party members may be off a little bit from their stated positions during Round 11. The positions of the boats are definitely accurate, though.)

As stated before, the boats with the hooded and cloaked figures are several yards further away to the east and south, off the map. The southbound boat with two thugs is also now off the map.

The current circumstances will probably cause Noxias to change his approach, but I do feel that I should address your earlier proposals. They are both good and creative, but not without complications caused by the parameters of your character's magic.

It would be possible to use Fey Step, and then have the sphere follow along. As stated before, the sphere does not float, so it would be rolling around at the bottom of the flooded street. What I didn't state earlier, because at that time it didn't seem that this was going to become a tactic to actually consider, is that moving the sphere underwater does count as difficult terrain. It may be hard to keep up, though not necessarily impossible, as the boats themselves seem rather slow. In terms of damage as attack range, the sphere would cause adjacent damage and be able to attack swimmers in the water from its underwater position, but not the shallow-draft boats.

The Mage Hand idea is rather nice. Tying a knot requires either Intelligence or Dexterity, both hands holding the rope, and a standard action. An enemy will always successfully defend against being "lassoed" by a mage hand, but looping it around a cleat in the boat could work pretty well. Its success would be determined by an easy Dexterity check. At this point, it's a question of time (counted by minor and standard actions) and range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ug, do we know that is Lywthast? Though perhaps it will be too late when we know for sure...and it seems that the two hooded figures in the boats are in some manner of distress. So away we go!

As swimming is out the question for poor Yrisz, as all we need is another damsel in distress, I guess Yrisz will do her best to help Rogur deploy the boats that are hopefully still there!

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    we have no idea. But Zephyr is not one to KNOW beforehand. He likes to swim. I figure I can go east and the rest of you can go S to cover our bases.

If she is hiding inside, she is safe and we just wasted some dry clothing. But, if she is on that boat, I don't want it to get too far.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    we have no idea. But Zephyr is not one to KNOW beforehand. He likes to swim. I figure I can go east and the rest of you can go S to cover our bases.

If she is hiding inside, she is safe and we just wasted some dry clothing. But, if she is on that boat, I don't want it to get too far.
    I whole heartedly agree, unless any of the other PCs have something to bring to the table.

One other uncomfortable truth, there are the unconscious MG members that we are leaving in the hall, and we might not be back in time to catch them waking, which might be a bit of a disaster. If you want I can change my story post so Yrisz stays to tie them up, she doesn't have a lot of things left to her this combat (one Healing Word really), but I'm worried that might leave her high and dry (and totally out of the story) for a very very long time.

~Mother Teresa

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithelryn View Post
    One other uncomfortable truth, there are the unconscious MG members that we are leaving in the hall, and we might not be back in time to catch them waking, which might be a bit of a disaster. If you want I can change my story post so Yrisz stays to tie them up, she doesn't have a lot of things left to her this combat (one Healing Word really), but I'm worried that might leave her high and dry (and totally out of the story) for a very very long time.
    This is not the time to split the party. In keeping with the party's interests, it would be possible to tie up the thugs while Rogur deals with the tower's boats, especially because dealing with that door and readying two boats is going to take several rounds if there's only one person doing it. Therefore, it's important to know the disposition of everyone else.