Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Acqua Alta Finale Discussion

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithelryn View Post
    Hmmm. I just looked up the diction of Baleful, it was not exactly what I thought it was. Exasperated or some form of exacerbate was more the word that I was looking for...I will change my post accordingly...
    Well alrighty. I thought baleful was pretty interesting given her normal sheepish, squeamish behavior. I thought that maybe I was pushing her buttons. However I thought I might find a more baleful look coming from Rogur since he's not so happy about having a fire wielding wizard so close at hand. Or maybe even better would be a betrayed look toward Zephyr from Rogur since I believe this new hot headed power of his is quite a surprise?
    Also, she is more saying, we have our skins and the floor is littered with the remains of our dead or maimed enemies, and Noxias is concerned about his cloths/equipment ... She also wondering what will happen when... Noxias gets everything including his under cloths wet, dirty, and ruined. Or worse, he does something that gets the bureaucracy of the Empire more on our case... I'm writing all this because there are contexts that can be picked up form body language that become cumbersome to write in story posts...that's all.
    Yes! I love this! Please feel free to elaborate on any post IC in the OOC thread if you want. I love to get to know the motivations of everyone's characters. Lord knows it helps especially if your character says something cryptic that we are supposed to infer but usually never can. And, to answer your question of what will happen when he gets his underoos soggy the answer is simple: don his fine clothing (that always is tucked safely away in his pack) and light a small fire to dry the rest of his clothes out.

Also, not being from this land, and obviously being like the most powerful wizard of this land he probably isn't too concerned about your silly governments. Not to say that he doesn't care, it just doesn't take up too much space in his head.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOC Post #13 for Acqua Alta

This post complements the thirteenth main post in the Acqua Alta Finale thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, April 17th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, April 19th.

The fifth boat described in the main post is off the map to the south.

Noxias may wish to modify his actions one last time in light of the current situation, though I have provisionally listed them as described. In game terms, the dwarf is very, very unconscious. He will not awaken for another five minutes regardless of how much abuse he is put through. The only exception to this is if he should receive any amount of hit point recovery due to healing.

Here is the otherwise-complete summary for the previous round.

Map: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MagusL2-9a.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	3646

Round Nine Summary
    Konstansz (Initiative Count 28)

Expended: Starfire, 1 healing surge
    Hands Free: none
    Held: rod, everburning torch
    4 temporary hit points

Standard Action: cast Eldritch Blast at Roszroon. (Ranged Rod +1 vs. Reflex with Bloodhunt at distance 6 - hits with a modified result of 24. Roszroon loses her temporary hit points and is slain by 12 points of damage.)
    Fate of the Void: Konstansz gains a +1 bonus to any single d20 roll on her next turn.

Move Action: move back to the party. (Cost 4; shadow walk - 4xS. Konstansz gains concealment.)

Minor Action: curse thug #7.

Yrisz (Initiative Count 27)
    Expended: sun rod, 2 healing potions, Channel Divinity (encounter), Cure Light Wounds, Exacting Utterance (encounter), Healing Word (encounter - once), 1 healing surge
    Hands Free: one
    Held: everburning torch, holy symbol (worn)
    4 temporary hit points

Standard Action: channel divinity. (Healer's Mercy. Close Burst targeting bloodied allies (Marc) within distance 5. Marc spends a healing surge to recover 18 hit points. Yrisz is weakened.)

Rogur (Initiative Count 26)
    Expended: 7 crossbow bolts, 23 sling bullets, 1 healing surge
    Held: sling
    4 temporary hit points

Move Action: catch up to the party. (Cost 5; normal - 2xSW, 2xS, SW.)

Marc (Initiative Count 13)
    Expended: 1 healing surge
    Held: longsword
    3 points of damage

3 temporary hit points

No Actions.

Zephyr (Initiative Count 9)
    Expended: rope, sun rod, Acid Orb (encounter), Action Point (encounter - none remaining), Arcane Prodigy (encounter), Escalating Violence (encounter), Flame Spiral (encounter), Life Thane Rage, Roar of Triumph (encounter), Savage Growl (encounter), Second Wind (encounter), 2 healing surges
    Hands Free: none
    Held: heavy war pick
    19 points of damage
    8 temporary hit points

Move Action: close with the remaining thug. (Cost 4; normal - W, 2xS, SE)

Standard Action: attack with a Howl of Fury. (Melee Pick vs. AC - misses.)

Noxias (Initiative Count 6+)

Expended: Shield
    Held: staff
    13 points of damage

Minor Action: sustain Flaming Sphere.

Minor Action: cast Light.

Standard Action: cast Ghost Sound.

Provisional actions.

#7- Matchless Gang Thug (Initiative Count 6)
    Expended: 3 quarrels
    Held: none

Double Move Action: jump into the waiting boat. (Cost 2; shift - E; one square of difficult terrain.)

Minor Action: stow crossbow.

S - Roszroon (Initiative Count 6-)
    Expended: Bull Charge, Shielded Sides
    Held: light shield, mace
    75 points of damage

No Actions

PC Results Summary

Konstansz has cast Starfire (daily).
    Konstansz has spent 1 healing surge.
    Konstansz sees the Fate of the Void.
    Konstansz is using Shadow Walk.

Konstansz has 4 temporary hit points.

Marc has spent 1 healing surge.
    Marc is using non-lethal attacks.
    Marc has taken 3 points of damage.
    Marc has 3 temporary hit points.

Noxias is sustaining a Flaming Sphere (daily).
    Noxias has cast Shield (daily).
    Noxias has taken 13 points of damage.

Rogur has expended 7 crossbow bolts and 23 sling bullets.
    Rogur is using non-lethal attacks.
    Rogur has spent 1 healing surge.
    Rogur has total concealment.
    Rogur has 4 temporary hit points.

Yrisz has used a sun rod and 2 healing potions.
    Yrisz has cast Cure Light Wounds (daily), Healer's Mercy, and Exacting Utterance.
    Yrisz has used a Healing Word.
    Yrisz is using non-lethal attacks.
    Yrisz has spent 1 healing surge.
    Yrisz is weakened.

Yrisz has 4 temporary hit points.

Zephyr has used his length of rope and a sun rod.
    Zephyr has cast Acid Orb and Flame Spiral.
    Zephyr has expended Arcane Prodigy, Escalating Violence, Life Thane Rage (daily), Roar of Triumph, Savage Growl, and Second Wind.
    Zephyr is using non-lethal attacks.
    Zephyr has spent 1 action point (none remaining).
    Zephyr has spent 2 healing surges.
    Zephyr has entered the Rage of the Life Thane.
    Zephyr has taken 19 points of damage.
    Zephyr has 8 temporary hit points.

Enemy Negative Effects Summary
    Matchless Gang Thug #1 is dead.

Matchless Gang Thug #2 is dead.

Matchless Gang Thug #3 is dead.

Matchless Gang Thug #4 is unconscious.

Matchless Gang Thug #5 is unconscious.

Matchless Gang Thug #7's crossbow is unloaded.
    Matchless Gang Thug #7 is cursed.

Matchless Gang Thug #8 is dead.

Matchless Gang Thug #10 is dead.

Matchless Gang Thug #11 is dead.

Roszroon is dead.

Roti is dead.

Enemy Damage Summary
    Matchless Gang Thug #1 - slain by 37 points of damage

Matchless Gang Thug #2 - slain by 21 points of damage

Matchless Gang Thug #3 - slain by 9 points of damage

Matchless Gang Thug #4 - unconscious from 12 points of damage

Matchless Gang Thug #5 - unconscious from 56 points of damage

Matchless Gang Thug #8 - slain by 6 points of damage

Matchless Gang Thug #10 - slain by 7 points of damage

Matchless Gang Thug #11 - slain by 6 points of damage

Roszroon - slain by 75 points of damage

Roti - slain by 59 points of damage
    Last edited by Umiushi; 04-19-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Marc benefits from Healer's Mercy

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ... so we failed the town??
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No. The townsfolk we talked to were utterly unconcerned about the rains and the imminent threat posed by Erszebet's deal, because they thought the rains signified a normal Acqua Alta. Recall that the Acqua Alta is so common an occurrence that the tower here even had a 2nd floor "window" that contained a boat (presumably similar to those we're seeing out the window now) that could be launched. I'd expect that if we return to that room and open the "window", the water would be at about a level for us to launch the boat and continue on our merry way.

My understanding is, the Twilight's Tryst was going to dump far more water than a normal rainy season. We stopped that, but did nothing to affect the normal weather patterns, which is as it should be.

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OH, ok. But now all the baddies are disposed of, now what?
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    This post complements the thirteenth main post in the Acqua Alta Finale thread. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, April 17th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, April 19th.

Noxias may wish to modify his actions one last time in light of the current situation, though I have provisionally listed them as described.
    Not sure what I would do... move to intercept the fleeing Thug 7? I'm open to suggestions. I suppose I'll leave the dwarf alone if he's really out of it.
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Will my Sphere burn the boat or stop working in the water?
    Quote:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    Will my Sphere burn the boat or stop working in the water?
    The boat will take damage normally, as an object. A Flaming Sphere continues to work in water, but does not float. It sinks to the bottom of whatever body of water it is submerged in. It still attacks and does damage normally. The "fire" appears as hot steam when the sphere is submerged. Even though the steam rises, it will not be hot enough to cause to adjacent damage to targets more than five feet above it.

A punting boat of the type Zephyr is seeing has the following characteristics:
    AC: 4
    Fortitude: 12
    Reflex: 4
    Willpower: n/a
    HP: 120
    Unaffected by attacks that target Willpower.
    Immune to necrotic, poison, and psychic damage.
    Immune to most healing effects.

If the boat reaches 60 hit points, it will stop moving, and will sink at the end of the subsequent round. If the boat reaches 30 hit points, it sinks immediately. If it reaches 0 hit points or less, it is smashed to pieces.

The sides of the boat are too low to provide cover for its occupants. Entering or exiting the boat requires one additional point of movement. (I incorrectly labeled this effect as difficult terrain in the last combat round summary.)
    Last edited by Umiushi; 04-18-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: typo

Downloads
    Uploads
    My thoughts revolved around what Palp suggest of the situation, is that this is a bit of a flashy Acqua Alta, but if E's plan had succeeded the whole valley would have been flooded and washed away. Sorry I'm late in, but my Mondays are pretty much always busy.

Now, there are a few questions we have to ask ourselves at this point (again sorry I'm posting so late). One is do we want to continue our hunt on the Matchless Gang members now that it has moved to interesting terrain? In my mind, there is only one reason too (and I grant that I might be totally reading into things), but who are the cloaked people being rowed away? Are they prisoners (like Iniusy and Duvek) or are they mages of the Church of Avandra who are helping the Matchless Gang members? If it's the latter then well, perhaps that's not a good idea, if it's the former…

Here is what I'm thinking in terms of Yrisz actions (as I see a double move will not be needed to get to Zephyr like I thought it would). As such, Yrisz is going to be uncharacteristically aggressive as she doesn't want to loose the last boat that is currently moored to the building (please be a minion). She is still going for non-lethal damage, of course.

Move: S, SE, S, SE, E
    Minor Action: Perception Check out the window
    Free Action: Call to the others regarding what she seeing.
    Standard Action: Sacred Flame #7

* Sacred Flame vs #7 Ref *

Sacred Flame: (Divine, Implement, Radiant), Standard Action, range 5, one creature, Wis vs. Ref, Hit: 1d6 + Wis radiant damage, and one ally you can see gains temp hit points Cha + 1/2 level or can make a saving throw.

Well alrighty. I thought baleful was pretty interesting given her normal sheepish, squeamish behavior. I thought that maybe I was pushing her buttons.
    Yeah, I could tell by your response that I had used to wrong word (hence my turning to the dictionary for help).

Also, not being from this land, and obviously being like the most powerful wizard of this land he probably isn't too concerned about your silly governments. Not to say that he doesn't care, it just doesn't take up too much space in his head.
    We should have Konstansz regale Noxias with stories about what the Bone Lancers to do rouge Wizards. Yrisz could tell him stories, but I'm sure they would be somewhere near children's versions of them. This is mostly because she has a 0 in her History skill, and as she grow up in a protected house hold and then a cloister nunnery in the mountains it can be forgiven that she doesn't know the real world quite as well as some (read Rogur here). Also she isn't horribly bright I'm afraid (yes, I've been taking liberties).

Ok, best of luck all. I'll make a place holder post, and then fill in the details when Umi gives them to me (if there are any more to be given).

May the odds always be ever your favor.

edit: So much for odds being in my favor, lucky little matchless ganger

double edit: As I was heading to bed I realized, in a sudden flash of insight, that this move was not the best I could have made for so many reasons (exposure to enemy, especially taunting the enemy, ect.). Though I will admit that I would have been at least a little bit happier if I had managed to pull it off even in part.

Oh well, it should be fun at least…Noxias, get over here, these kind of shenanigans are your job
    Last edited by Ithelryn; 04-18-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    04-17-2012 09:34 PM
    Sacred Flame vs #7 Ref : 1d20 (2)+ 7 (7) = 9
    Acqua Alta - Player of the human priestess Yrisz Vulysenyat.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
    ~Mother Teresa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh well, it should be fun at least…Noxias, get over here, these kind of shenanigans are your job
    LOL Yrisz would cringe at these words!

Nox's turn (maybe final one?)

Minor: Sustain
    Move: Noxias (1SW, 2SE, 1NE; Last move costs an extra)
    Move: Sphere (2E, 2SE, 1NE; Last move costs an extra)

Now, at least I'm on the boat so I get rid of 7 and then somehow paddle back? Worst comes to worst I take my pack off and grab the rope out of it and toss it to Zephyr? Also, did you indicate which way the water is naturally flowing?

* #7 Thug damage *

04-18-2012 11:37 AM
    #7 Thug damage: 1d4 (3)+ 4 (4) = 7
    Quote:

Downloads
    Uploads
    I apologize again for posting so late.

I think we should pursue the gang members as that seems to the thing to move the story along.

"
    If Marc chooses to benefit from Healer's Mercy, he will have spent one healing surge, not be bloodied, and have 3 points of damage plus 3 temporary hit points."

Sounds good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, hearing that they may be leaving with the last of the boats mobilizes Konstansz.
    She will move towards the closest window where she can get a view of the thug-boats, which looks like it isn't all that far, so assuming I can do that and still attack, I'll have her
    curse the nearest thug and cast eldritch blast at him or her.
    * Eldritch Blast vs reflex *

* Eldritch blast potential damage *

04-18-2012 11:21 PM
    Eldritch Blast vs reflex: 1d20 (4)+ 7 (7) = 11
    Eldritch blast potential damage: 1d10 (9)+ 6 (6)+ 1d6 (3) = 18

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Am I to interpret the activity on the part of the Matchless Gang as the Matchless Gang members making off with the boats the two heroes used? If so, it seems like Noxias shouldn't be attempting to sink it. --T

Downloads
    Uploads
    You think the sphere will sink it? 120 HP seems like a lot and if I'm only doing 7 damage to it per round (assuming it takes damage for being adjacent to the sphere) it will take 9 rounds at least for it to sink.

I think I'll try to get rid of the Thug, either by killing him or forcing him into the water, then I'll extinguish the sphere or move it to a safe area.
    Quote:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fair point. I misinterpreted Noxias' actions as wholesale destruction, rather than targeted mayhem.