Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: New Power: Multi-Form

Downloads
    Uploads

New Power: Multi-Form

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hey guys,

Can I get some feedback on this power?

Multi-Form
    The character canassume more than one form. These formscan have entirely different Resistances, Aptitudes, Powers, and evenpersonalities. Each form is first builtas a separate character without Multi-Form as a power. The most expensive of the forms then assumesthe cost of the Multi-Form. Every 1D in Multi-Formgrants the character 5D with which to build alternate forms.

Example: Red Wolf is cursed with lycanthropy. His werewolf form costs 18D without Multi-Form, while his human form costs a total of 10D. Red Wolf’s werewolf form, therefore, assumes the cost of the Multi-Form (2D) for a total cost of 20D.

What do you think? Does it work? Can you think of anything else to name the power?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Dragonfly

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah. It could work.
    But it implies that the character creates all the different forms at the beginning. Fortunately, characters' creation is not too long in Supers.
    However, I don't know if this rule could work for a character who's always changing of forms at will (like a genie) and who needs to create a new form on the fly. I think in that case, the GM could authorize the player to chose a power or an aptitude that he needs on the moment.
    If I have any more thoughts about that, I'll post them later.
    I gotta go.
    Sorry for my English, but it's not my primary language.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm...I like it at first glance, it seems to be a reasonable way to handle limited shape changing characters and has the benefit of not forcing you to use the same amount of dice for each form Bruce Banner and Hulk shouldn't use the same number of dice IMO).

Nova, I agree, this doesn't work for true shapeshifters that can assume multiple forms. The shape change power is supposed to do that (but unfortunately doesn't).

As to the name, I like Multi-Form but people could get confused if they assume it's a traditional (unlimited forms) shape change power. Alternate Form may work a bit better, to me it implies you only have one (or a limited number of) "extra form".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey fellas! Thanks for the initial feedback. I have some work I want to do on Multi-Form (or Alternate Form) based on your comments. I'll share my work once I'm done.

In the meantime, I want to start work on a beastiary. I know most creatures should be handled as mooks, but I thought it might be useful to have a few animals and beasties fully statted out - just in case you need to use them for PCs.

What do you think of this T-Rex build:

T-REX (Resistances 3D + Aptitudes 5D + Powers 16D + Ads/Disads -1D = 23D)

Resistances: Composure 2D Fortitude 7D Reaction 1D Will 1D

Aptitudes: Presence 6D (Intimidating Roar)

Powers: Armor 2D, Size Change 4D (Complication: Growth Only, Complication: Always On), Super Senses 1D (Tracking Scent 2D), Super Strength 6D, Super Weaponry 5D (Bite)

Disads: T-Rex Anatomy (Stubby Arms)

What do you think?

Best,

Dragonfly

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like him!

A couple of questions/points:
    1) Shouldn't Mr T (Rex)'s Resistances be 7D, not 3D?
    2) Super Weaponry 5D (Bite) should have the Complication Touch Attack (so reduce the cost by 1D)
    3) Just a personal preference, but I think most animals, especially predators, should have some dice in Athleticism. For the T-Rex, I wouldn't go too wild, maybe just Athleticism 2D to reflect its ability to run after prey.

Other than that, good job. I think a beastiary would be a fine addition to the Supers! game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Dustland!

Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful.

1) The Resistances are only 3D because he gets a free 4D for his always on Size Change (Growth) power.
    2) Yes! Good catch on the Super Weaponry! Thanks for that.
    3) I think you are correct about the Athleticism. I'll add that to the final version.

Here's a specific design question: How would you, personally, judge Composure for animals? I figure 1D for particularly jittery or defensive animals (like my cat) and 2D for more "confident" animals (maybe those who are particularly tough or higher up in the food chain).

Anyway, I'll post a few more animals in the coming days.

Best,

Dragonfly

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah yes, totally forgot about the Resistance bump for Size Change!

How would you, personally, judge Composure for animals?
    Great question. I'm with you, composure probably reflects how confident or stubborn an animal is. The simple answer for me would be 1D for most prey animals, 2D for most predatory animals. Cats get a random number of dice from 1-6 per round, reflecting their fickle nature.

I was thinking that particularly aggressive critters could have 3D, such as hippos and rhinos, but I seriously think that's putting too much effort into analyzing the psychology of an animal

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustland View Post
    Ah yes, totally forgot about the Resistance bump for Size Change!

Great question. I'm with you, composure probably reflects how confident or stubborn an animal is. The simple answer for me would be 1D for most prey animals, 2D for most predatory animals. Cats get a random number of dice from 1-6 per round, reflecting their fickle nature.

I was thinking that particularly aggressive critters could have 3D, such as hippos and rhinos, but I seriously think that's putting too much effort into analyzing the psychology of an animal
    This sounds about right.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great idea the bestiary!
    Thank you for the T-Rex. I'll use it in my next scenario.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool! Let me know how the T-Rex plays against your oponents.

I'm actually thinking of turning the Bestiary into a published product - maybe centering on the a new optional power(s): Alternate Form or Multi-Form. I figure the supplement could:

1) I introduce the power(s).

2) Have a section on stats involving creatures or beings that a person can transform into.

3) Introduce several villains that make use of the power.

4) Provide a couple of short modules featuring said villains.

What do you think? Is this something worth fleshing out this summer?

Best,

Dragonfly

Downloads
    Uploads
    A beastiary would be useful if done well, and tying it into the power would be a novel way to handle it.

A cool product? Sure! Worth fleshing out? That's up to you, sounds like a good chunk of work

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I do. Crack on!

Downloads
    Uploads
    IMHO, a bestiary always make good sales.
    But that's a lot of work.
    We'll help if needed, of course.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for chiming in, guys! I'll definitely get cracking! Most of the writing will have to happen this summer, but I'll start work on the write-ups now - doing several each day.

Right now I've got the following:

Black Bear, Eagle, Deinonychus (i.e. the Velociraptor's from Jurrasic Park), Gargantuan Ape (i.e. King Kong), Gorilla, Great White Shark, Leopard, Lion, T-Rex, Wolf

What would you guys like to see?

Best,

Dragonfly

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

P.S. Needless to say, I'll want to hit you guys up as playtesters - if you are game. :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll make a contribution, here's an unfinished wolf pic I was doing for my Viking monsters book for BoL. If you're serious about the bestiary and want to use the pic, I'll finish it for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolf.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	3587  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast