Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Supers! goes to War! (aka Golden Age superhero gaming)
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Supers! goes to War! (aka Golden Age superhero gaming)

Downloads
    Uploads

Supers! goes to War! (aka Golden Age superhero gaming)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Since Simon hinted a new thread should be started regarding Dustland's WW2 themed stuff, I figured I'd start a thread where we can discuss running Supers! in a Golden Age setting. So have at it!
    The Soultaker Studios Blog: http://soultakerstudios.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I'll kick things off with an optional rule I'm introducing in Supers at War.

Aid Another (includes Covering Fire!):
    Two or more characters may work together to succeed at some challenge. Each supporting character must go first, rolling whatever Aptitude or Power is applicable in aiding the action. For every 6 points they roll, the main character gains a Temporary Competency Die that must be used the same round to achieve whatever action they are teaming up on.

ex: Welrod, Ma Deuce, and Gold Rush are trying to get a radio operating so they can call in an air strike on some Nazi tanks! The GM sets a the Target Number at 15 (the radio was blown up during a major fight). Welrod, with Tech 3d, is the main character in the action so he will roll last.

Ma Deuce decides to use her Super Strength 2d to bend, mold, and shape components at Welrod's direction. She rolls a 7, so Welrod will have 1d Temp Comp Die to roll on his turn.

Gold Rush has no applicable powers or trained aptitudes, so he uses his Tech 1d to try to assist in the repairs. He rolls a 1, pretty much just getting in the way so he doesn't add a Temp Comp Die to the action.

Welrod rolls his Tech 3d + 1d Temp Comp Die, scoring a 17! He gets the radio working and calls in the Spitfires to strafe the Panzer column!

I made this rule when I was wondering how Covering Fire could work without getting too complicated. I didn't want to use static bonuses because as a player, if I'm giving up my turn to aid in the glory of another player, I at least want to roll some dice! Also, this allows a particularly good "Aid Another" roll turn into a time to shine in it's own right.

Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, in the case of cover fire - would each 6 rolled by someone providing cover fire give one competancy dice that the character being aided can use on their resistance roll?

I like it!

Best,

Aldo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Exactly sir! I like examples, so here's another one using Aid Another to simulate covering fire:

Ex: The heroes emerge from the treeline only to see a bomb-blasted field and a concrete bunker on the far side bristling with machine guns. The GM tells the players that there are wounded GIs in the field. The players agree that Gold Rush should dash out and grab wounded allies while Welrod and Ma Deuce provide covering fire.

Welrod and Ma Deuce each have Shooting 2d and open fire, scoring a 6 and 9. They each provide a Temp Comp Die to Gold Rush's defense.

Gold Rush darts out and immediately comes under fire from two heavy machine gun crews (10). He uses his Super Speed 4d to dodge the first volley on his own, rolling an 11 so he takes no damage from the bullets whizzing by. He has to use his Reaction 3d to defend against the next volley and chooses to use the 2d TCD on this roll 9since he would loose them at the end of the round anyway).

He rolls a 20, his allies suppressing the enemy fire long enough for him to dart onto the battlefield, grab two soldiers, and dart back to cover without getting hit! (And the crowd goes wild!)

FYI, that's not necessarily how I'm handling heavy weapons (a fixed number), just did it for example's sake. And yes, there'll be lot's of examples because I think they help clarify rules that may be poorly worded.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And since I've referenced him a few times, here's Gold Rush!

Downloads
    Uploads
    very nice!

So the book will include some superheroes/villains in it then? Originally, I thought it was more of a sourcebook on the era, and rules for combat, etc.

I just whipped up a bunch of nazi villains for Dragonfly to playtest for me, plus I'm working on a team of Italian super heroes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm liking this!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very good rule, indeed.
    I'll use it.
    Sorry for my English, but it's not my primary language.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad you guys like it so far!
    So the book will include some superheroes/villains in it then? Originally, I thought it was more of a sourcebook on the era, and rules for combat, etc.
    I've gone back and forth on this. I won't include any heroe types in the book (though the villains could certainly be used as heroes if a player liked the build). If most GMs are like me, pregen villains with a couple of plot points are more useful than a stable of heroes. That being the case I want to include 5-10 villains to plug and play (including a cybernetic, mind bending Hitler and a tyrannical Japanese storm dragon emperor!)

Source material may be a bit light, a few pages max. I'm going to focus on WW2 but will include notes on WW1 and Korean War. For the most part in depth info is easy to come by in the age of Wikipedia so I'll hit the highlights/points of interest.

I'm figuring half or more of the book will be optional rules/tables to help speed up assigning difficulty task ratings/how to use the existing rules to simulate battlefield conditions.

I'll post another excerpt later this week, enjoy!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm liking it too! The supplement sounds INCREDIBLY useful. The examples will be very helpful. I also love Gold Rush! Good show, Dustland!

Oh, and urbwar - thanks for sending the Golden Age villains my way. I've been REALLY busy this week at school, so I haven't really had a chance to reply, but I will this weekend. T'will be fun to play-test them. :-)

Best,

Dragonfly

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustland View Post
    Glad you guys like it so far!
    I've gone back and forth on this. I won't include any heroe types in the book (though the villains could certainly be used as heroes if a player liked the build). If most GMs are like me, pregen villains with a couple of plot points are more useful than a stable of heroes. That being the case I want to include 5-10 villains to plug and play (including a cybernetic, mind bending Hitler and a tyrannical Japanese storm dragon emperor!)
    I agree that villains are more useful than heroes. I was just curious as many times sourcebooks include NPC hero types you can use for one shots, or as other antagonists for the player characters

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Oh, and urbwar - thanks for sending the Golden Age villains my way. I've been REALLY busy this week at school, so I haven't really had a chance to reply, but I will this weekend. T'will be fun to play-test them. :-)

Best,

Dragonfly
    Cool. I hope you get a lot of use out of them. Since I hope to publish them, it will be interesting to see how well they work mechanics wise

Downloads
    Uploads
    Persistent Damage: This power is used to simulate damaging attacks that last longer than one round. Examples include Acid, Poison, and Fire based attacks. Each level of the power must be bought as though it had a Power Boost, so every 1d in the power costs 2d (ex. Persistent Damage 3d costs 6d).

The initial attack is resolved as normal. If the target takes any damage, then at the start of the attacking character's round the target is automatically attacked again by the power. This continues until the target successfully resists the damage, at which point the effect ends.

While under the effect of the power, the target may act normally during their action OR spend their action resisting the power. If they fail to resist during their action, they do not take additional damage. Other characters may spend their actions either aiding the affected character or, if they have an applicable aptitude or power, they can roll directly against power to end the effect (Water Control power vs Persistent Damage to end a burning effect).

Effects of Persistent Damage don't stack!

Ex) Ma Deuce is attacked by a Nazi henchman armed with a Flammenwerfer (German Flamethrower), a Persistent Damage 2d power with the Device Complication. Ma Deuce is attacked and takes damage from the portable inferno, engulfing her in flames! She ignores the flames and swings a meaty fist at the Nazi, connecting for minimal damage, ending the round.

The next round the Nazi goes first again. Ma Deuce is automatically attacked by the Persistent Damage and fails to resist yet again, taking more damage and keeping the fire going! The Nazi is free to act but can't attack her again with the Flammenwerfer (since she's already on fire), so he pulls a pistol and shoots at the hero. The round hits her but her hardened body shrugs off the attack (go Armor!).

It's Ma Deuce's turn to go. Rather than attack the Nazi again, she decides she needs to put the flames out before he gets in a lucky shot. She rolls to resist the power for the second time this round and succeeds! The flames are out and it's time for a new round!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Dustland,

I really like this construction quite a bit. I think I like it more than the Lingering suggestion made awhile back (although I like that one too). Again - the examples really make the rules "pop". I would recommend explaining a bit more what you mean by "Effects of Persistent Damage don't stack!" I didn't understand what you meant until I read the example.

I, for one, would love to see Simon weigh in on new powers like this, as it would be confusing to new players if competing rules made it into print in various supplements.

Anyway, VERY nice job!

Best,

Dragonfly

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Dragonfly. You're absolutely right about needing to reword/clarify that line. I'll clean it up it the "official" copy. Basically if you're on fire, you're not going to be made MORE on fire by another Persistent Damage attack. However, you could be on fire, then get hit with acid, and with a poisoning attack, and have to deal with each seperately as a Persistent Damage attack. It would be a nasty thing to do to a player or a villian!

Also being affected by Persistent Damage should not make you immune from other attacks of the same type if they come from a different power. If you're on fire from PD, you could still be attacked by the Elemental Control (Fire) power for example. (The villain uses the fire that's ravaging your body and makes it burn hotter!)

I almost don't want to use the power because it is necessary to word it just right

Last, I'll be very careful to note that all of these are GM's Options, not "canon" by any means. As a matter of fact, with each entry it will begin with Optional Power: or Optional Aptitude:, etc.

Speaking of Aptitudes, I'll post some options later this week, enjoy!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice rule.
    Just to clarify, what happens if two Nazis henchmen attack one target with a flamethrower each, and in the same round?
    Sorry for my English, but it's not my primary language.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast