Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: DM Studios - Public Domain Supers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by urbwar View Post
    and just snagged it!
    cool thanks!

Here is a preview art for the next set:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you considered experimenting with inks combined with this style? I think it could be a very cool look imo. Looking good regardless!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustland View Post
    Have you considered experimenting with inks combined with this style? I think it could be a very cool look imo. Looking good regardless!
    I am glad you asked, because it helped me (along with a couple of other events) get a grip on what I am trying to accomplish art wise. So here is a long winded explanation/discussion of your question.

1) I started teaching art at an afterschool club, and so it has forced me to reexplore different mediums (in particular pencils and pastels). In doing so I gave some demos of the medium. In about 10 minutes I would come up with something like this:

The kids were very nice and expressed admiration, but almost always asked "Why do you always draw people." To which I would reply "I love comic books, so that is what I know how to draw really well". (Frankly I was surprised at the above because I have not used pastels in like 20 years, so it gave me the much needed confidence boost in the "fine" arts technique.)

2) Lately I have noticed (partly because I am using something other than inks) that I really enjoy the "texture" traditionally associated with "fine art" (ie water colors, pencils, and pastels) And I noticed that any comics that I have been interested in for the past 10 years have this component (here i am thinking of Alex Ross, and others) Who have used traditional "fine" art mediums. In fact I was not able to articulate it, but I wanted to combine superheroes and "fine art" techniques.

3) Literally yesterday I found a copy of "Batman Death by Design" in which I was able to finally see what you could do with "fine art" techniques in a comic book. This Graphic Novel is drawn entirely in pencil with some minor coloring via Photoshop. Now what I like about the art is that it is "finished" it is not a few scratches, but the artist "inked" the whole comic with a pencil. It is gorgeous and provides a "texture" and "solidity" that I have always felt ink and bright colors cannot do.

I guess that is all to say that I will be exploring more "fine" art techniques in future supplements as 1) I like them 2) I think they are more appropriate to the time period (1920s/30s/40s) 3) I like the "fine" art techniques used on a "cartoon" concept like comic books, I think they give it the look and feel of "real".

Hope that all makes sense.

d

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool D, thanks for sharing. I'll have to check out Batman Death by Design, that is freaking awesome! Very '30s Noire look to it, so I see what you mean. I'm a huge fan of using pastels on black, coarse paper, just don't take the time to practice it, but I love the texture of the medium.

I may play around with the watercolored cowgirl image later and satisfy my curiosity on the inking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustland View Post
    Cool D, thanks for sharing. I'll have to check out Batman Death by Design, that is freaking awesome! Very '30s Noire look to it, so I see what you mean. I'm a huge fan of using pastels on black, coarse paper, just don't take the time to practice it, but I love the texture of the medium.

I may play around with the watercolored cowgirl image later and satisfy my curiosity on the inking.
    I'd love to see someone else ink my stuff, that would be an honor.

here is a pencil test of batman.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am working slowly, I think I am going to go to a "newspaper" format for the next issues, and include "action shots" instead of static poses for the characters. Whaddya think?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep. The action shots are a good idea.
    It'll make the art more vivid.
    Sorry for my English, but it's not my primary language.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks really cool, Darrel! Very classic look! Reminds me of some of the sketches in the first "superman" story ever, "The Reign of the Super-Man" by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.

Cheers!

Dragonfly

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man I love this latest piece too! Your highlighting and shadowing makes me jealous; it's the little things, like the highlighting of the hair, that makes me think this is really a technique that you do uber-well (is that a word?) Not discounting your other work, but I REALLY hope to see some more pieces like this.

+1 vote for more action poses!

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for the comments guys!

here is another sneak preview: Of Animal Man

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm doing a free promo of Batman Superman and Wonderwoman to show case the new format for Public Domain Supers, hopeful the fact that it is free won't get me a lawyer letter from DC.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by damiller View Post
    hopeful the fact that it is free won't get me a lawyer letter from DC.
    I wouldn't rely on that...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yah, just because there's no profit to be directly made from the images, they still have a legal right to protect how their trademarked images are used because of branding and what not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Supers! Public Domain Supers 14 is out, and a new look!

Grab it at RPGnow for only 0.99

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess I am the first one to get this! Let me say that I love the background you use on each page; it looks like old comics whose pages have turned slightly brown. It adds something to it. The art is really good too; i like how you went with B&W over color this time, though I hope when you do the clip art pack, there will be color versions as well. And you did Ace of Blades! I was reading up on her not 2 days ago! She is one of the more interesting Nazi villains from the Golden Age. She's almost the opposite of Baroness Blood; it would be interesting to have the two of them work together. Hmm... maybe an idea for one of your short adventure books?
    The Soultaker Studios Blog: http://soultakerstudios.blogspot.com/

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast