Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Supers Discussion?

Downloads
    Uploads

Supers Discussion?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hey folks!

I've really taken to Supers!. It took me some time, but I've finally GMed it several times for my longstanding gaming group, and we've had a blast. The simplicity of the system is unbelievable, yet I find that I can do anything with it.

My one frustration is the lack of support and discussion. I've posted here in the past, but it seems like there isn't enough a critical mass to carry on discussions about this overlooked system. Is there anywhere else online where a Supers! party is actually taking place?

Best,

Dragonfly

Downloads
    Uploads
    If there is, I'm not aware of it.

Like you, I happen to think SUPERS! is pretty good but hugely overshadowed by the bigger (and often far more complicated) bigger boys. There just aren't enough SUPERS! enthusaiasts out there to generate much discussion about it, I'm afraid.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
    If there is, I'm not aware of it.

Like you, I happen to think SUPERS! is pretty good but hugely overshadowed by the bigger (and often far more complicated) bigger boys. There just aren't enough SUPERS! enthusaiasts out there to generate much discussion about it, I'm afraid.
    Hi Simon,

I'd like to help change that, if possible. I'm going to work up a bunch of write-ups and try to reignite the very fruitful thread that existed this past summer over at rpg.net.

I'm also hoping that product like the upcoming Bad Sports will generate some enthusiasm.

At some point, maybe this summer, I might try to run an PbP Supers! game. I'm actually already starting one specifically for members of our longstanding gaming group who have moved away from Miami, FL, but I'm hoping to run a game open to the broader public at some point.

Again - I REALLY love this game. It hits a sweet spot for my gaming group. I'm also a huge fan of BASH UE, but I find that Supers! works even better for certain of my players due to its simplicity.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to make certain that I wasn't missing an ongoing conversation occuring elsewhere online.

Best,

Dragonfly

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As a suggestion for a possible way to have a discussion, you folks could always set some day and time to do so in the P&PG Chat. There is the availability to create a separate room for the Supers discussion to be held in. That way you don't have to compete with the various topics being talked about in the General Chatter room.
    "You go 50 feet and come to a Y."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi cplmac!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm certainly game for that sort of thing, if there is an interest. What do you say, Supers! fans?

Best,

Dragonfly

Downloads
    Uploads
    While I'm a fan of other games, I also would like to see more discussion on Supers! I also think the small amount of releases for it (and most of the ones that have come out are kind of low key in being publicized) has had an effect.

I hope once I get my own publishing efforts going, that Supers! is one of the games I support. We'll see how it goes though

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by urbwar View Post
    While I'm a fan of other games, I also would like to see more discussion on Supers! I also think the small amount of releases for it (and most of the ones that have come out are kind of low key in being publicized) has had an effect.

I hope once I get my own publishing efforts going, that Supers! is one of the games I support. We'll see how it goes though

Cool! More support for SUPERS! would be grand. There are Darrel Miller's inexpensive pdfs, of course.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
    Cool! More support for SUPERS! would be grand. There are Darrel Miller's inexpensive pdfs, of course.
    Which aren't very publicized. I knew about them because I get updates from Drivethru whenever something new comes out for the superhero genre. Otherwise, I wouldn't even know they existed.

It's too bad Grubman is taking a break from the internet, because he was really talking the game up, and I think when he did, it helped garner interest in the game (since he's well respected on some forums). I really hope when he comes back, he'll be finished with (or close to finished) with his release, as I think it might attract more people to the game

Downloads
    Uploads
    I for one love the simplicity of the game. There's another game that I turn to for crunch (if I'm in the mood), but if you just need a simple set of rules that can do just about any genre you want with little fuss, Supers is the way to go.

We ran through a supers campaign using Supers which was a lot of fun. I ran a couple of fantasy games with it; it worked pretty well but I found myself wanting a bit more crunch in the mix (probably a result of two decades of D&D). The cool thing is the rules are uber simple to add to and subtract from.

The one change that we all LOVED was adding in a wild die. If it came up 6, you get to roll another WD. You keep throwing down 6's, you keep rolling!

For higher stats it didn't feel like it made as much of a difference but there were a few times when you were rolling 2d vs 4d (or something along those lines) and the Wild Die saved the day. It's funny thinking back on it, no one ever looked at what another player was rolling until we introduced the WD, then everyone's eyes were on the off-colored die, waiting for a 6 to hit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Dustland!

The wild die sounds like loads of fun. I think I'll introduce it into my games. Question: did Aptitudes still cap at a max result of 18 even with the wild die?

Best,

Dragonfly

Downloads
    Uploads
    [Ugh board dropped my last post]

We did allow the WD to break the 18 cap for Aptitudes. We also kicked around the idea of dropping the cap all together. I probably will the next time I run a Supers game.

Other house rules:
    2) We allowed Dumb luck to be purchased multiple times, mainly because I was playing a Probabilty Manipulator type and it made sense.

3) The Normal Disadvantage seemed to be a huge restriction and didn't reflect comics very well. We tossed around the idea that a Normal could purchase powers but they all had the Device Complication automatically (so no +1 Comp Die for it). What's Batman without his gadgets, right???

4) Agility and Fort for physical damage, Comp and Will for non physical damage only. Allowing Composure to take damage for physical attacks seemed to stretch out combat too long for our taste (with the exception of Web attacks which still damaged Agility and Comp).

There's a couple of powers we found to be over/under powered but that could wait for another thread I suppose.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the report.
    I remembered having asked on this forum a few months ago if a Normal could buy gadgets or use magical devices though he couldn't buy Powers. But I didn't have any answers at this time. So, your point n3 brings part of a reply.

I thought as well about introducing a WD in the game, because I thought the rules lack of critical successes or failures.
    Did you rule the WD as in D6 system? Meaning that if the WD throws a 1, you remove the best score of the other dice and keep the 1 of the WD?
    Sorry for my English, but it's not my primary language.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, we didn't "penalize" for throwing a 1 but I think it's perfectly legitimate to do so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Dustland!

Question: Did you use Supers straight up to run those Fantasy campaigns? If the answer is "no" - what tweaks did you implement? I'd love to see what guidelines you used for character generation, as well as any stats for Monsters and what not.

At one point, Simon was talking about doing a SciFi version called SPACERS. I wish that had gone to print. Simon, I'd love to hear any thoughts you had on that project as well. What changes would you have made, etc.

Best,

Dragonfly

Downloads
    Uploads
    All this Supers talk had me flipping through the book. I've always liked D. Miller's colonial looking super on page 5. Here's my take on him...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Patriot Man.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	3574
    Dragonfly there were a number of house rules I implemented, different aptitudes for instance, all powers were handled via the Wizadry power but the character had to learn a school of magic rather than having access to every power in the book (earth, fire, air, water, or mind...which no one chose to use), I had some mish-mash rules for magic equipment, etc.

At one point we changed how combat worked, allowing Resistances to be used to attack, with Aptitudes acting as a "dice modifier" to the roll. I wish the game had gone on a bit longer so we could've ironed out the system, but I was having issues with a sociopath player in the party. If you want to discuss it, I'll set up a new thread.

Sci-Fi and Fantasy versions would be awesome! Even a list of alternate rules or an updated Supers would be great too. If Simon were open to a 3rd party putting something together, I'd be willing to work on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast