Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Edition of Dungeons and Dragons

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I may glance at the rules when they come out but after the previous edition I seriously doubt I will buy any books new rather maybe a year or so down the line on ebay for $2.99 heh.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im downright offended. No joke- the timing- the crap about how now they're suddenly invested in player feedback. Wotc are BS artists who could care less about d and d other than a cash cow. The inconsistencies between editions/publishings is a joke. Paizo won big because they have respect for the game players love and they understand the difference between a failure and a payday- something Wotc didnt seem to acknowledge between 3 and 3.5. I think the marketting, spin machine and wag the dog mentality is offensive to what is largely a pretty insightful and intelligent demographic of buyers. I probably wont even read the new edition except for a chuckle.

In response to another posters suggestion- if you care about D and D- switch to Pathfinder!! :P

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your post is emotional and juvenile and nothing but a rant.

Unfortunately - it describes my feelings completely - and I agree.

I have followed this game since just before that new "AD&D" thing came out. I have seen good stuff, and I have seen some crappy stuff. With the horrible fiasco of 4E, just after an official press briefing that told everyone that there was NO new edition in development and NO plans to issue a new edition - I lost faith.

Yup - I'll be joining Monkies around a Pathfinder table.

Sing it, Monkies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have always started out my players with no alignment , then gradually they came into them on how they played

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
    Your post is emotional and juvenile and nothing but a rant.

Unfortunately - it describes my feelings completely - and I agree.

I have followed this game since just before that new "AD&D" thing came out. I have seen good stuff, and I have seen some crappy stuff. With the horrible fiasco of 4E, just after an official press briefing that told everyone that there was NO new edition in development and NO plans to issue a new edition - I lost faith.

Yup - I'll be joining Monkies around a Pathfinder table.

Sing it, Monkies!
    Lol- fair enough and well said- hahaha! I guess your right- this isnt "viva la revolution" and the biggest way I can make an impact is with my debit card- in this case keeping it in my wallet. On some level I do feel a bit cheated here though. In the end though I think the cream rises to the top and Wotc will find that they are just making a more divisible marketplace- which in the long run will affect their bottom line. Karma I guess.

Its good to hear Im not the only one feeling this way though- lol! Nobody wants to be that old guy griping at the bar "I remember back in my day when AD & D used to stand for something!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bull carp on a Popsicle stick!! I have EVERY intention of being that old fart griping at the bar, "I remember back in my day when that newfangled _A_ D&D came on the scene and when D&D used to stand for something!!"

Yes, in my case, it _IS_ a revolution - just like you, I will be protesting with my dollars.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The playtest rules, for me, are really good. Interestingly, when I kicked around doing my own "D&D/d20" clone/free system, these new rules actually reflect a lot of the things I was considering.

If you want a rules lite system, that incorporates the basics of D&D without all the extraneous complicated stuff, this seems like it's headed in the right direction.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by revolution 9 View Post
    The playtest rules, for me, are really good. Interestingly, when I kicked around doing my own "D&D/d20" clone/free system, these new rules actually reflect a lot of the things I was considering.
    I'd love to comment on the new 5e beta ruleset myself, but despite signing up three times, I still haven't received a copy. Heh.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Odd, a lot of people reported having problems but I got mine just fine. Really I think they should have gone Pathfinder and just released them to the public, but whatever.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you trying to kill IP lawyers with Apoplexy?

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    heh. i managed to acquire the playtest materials as well. i like some of the offerings, not so sure about some of the other stuff.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That I am aware of, there are three groups in this area that have gotten the playtest, but I haven't heard their thoughts yet. I know one group hasn't gotten to get together yet to run it, though.
    "You go 50 feet and come to a Y."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've heard some hearsay which I will not comment on as it is hearsay. Changes yes. Beyond that I do not know.

Win me back? A Snowball's chance in Hell. Lizards could make my perfect game, and I would be highly reluctant to bite.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like they are now allowing online play! The FAQ has been updated http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.a...ews/dndnextfaq (toward the bottom)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like many of you, I found the 3.0/3.5 debacle irritating. From what I've seen and have heard of 4th, it seems to be simultaneously more streamlined but also a big mess when compared to previous editions (referring specifically to lists upon lists of powers). I personally have only looked through 4th edition books, and was not impressed. The game just seems more like an attempt to simulate an MMORPG. Now, I'm all for expanding the player base, but I believe that it should fall on the existing players to expand the player base.

That said, in my experience, each edition has it's flaws. I feel that the future will lie with either Pathfinder, or a modular (or customizable, if you prefer) D&D ruleset. By rewriting the rules in this way, a group can bring in as much or as little of each edition as they want. Now, of course, the rules could always be customized by each group, but I think that WoTC could retool the game for Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, and Master level rules. By doing this, a group could customize the rules complexity for themselves. For example, a group could decide that they like the complexity that the "Advanced" level offers. So, they purchase the Basic core, Intermediate core, and Advanced core books. Optionally, these three could be compiled into a set, or a single core book with sections dedicated to each.

Feat/Power/Skill/Spell bloat has got to go. This is a problem that permeated 3.x. The supplement books should not be filled with rehashes of material released in other supplements. Class features, skills, powers, etc should have multiple uses, but there should not be, for example, a feat to perform a specific function, and a second nearly identical feat with a different name and slightly different mechanics. This is a variant use of feat one, people, not a brand new feat.
    Last edited by Foehunter82; 08-29-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast