Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Can a first level wizard use a wand of fireballs?

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Can a first level wizard use a wand of fireballs?

Can you please provide page numbers or links to references? We are arguing over what the "class spell list" is. Is it every spell available to that class, or does that only include the spells that you are able to cast?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When you use a wand, you are NOT using a "spell" as it were, you are using an arcane device. There are rules about spell failure and such for SCROLLS, but those allow the casting of a spell - and wands aren't spells.

3.5 DMG, page 213, left side of page, entitled: "Spell Trigger" is a good place to start.

3.5 DMG, page 245, Right side of page, entitled: "Wands" is a good place to finish.

According to these two locations, the spells inside are ALMOST completed - all you need to do is trigger it - and ANYONE that casts that style of magic can activate it.

If a DM was silly enough to hand one out, a first level wizard could use a Wand of Wishes without a problem (except from local thieves!!).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    class (spell/power) list is defined as all the spells or powers available to a given class, regardless of spells known, or in a spellbook.

technically speaking, a ranger can use a cure light wounds wand at first level, despite not being able to cast spells until fourth level.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a good thing to remember... it is good ancillary info to my answer above. Rangers get "divine" spells - so they can use ANY divine wand whether they can cast ANY spells yet. Thanks for reminding me of that nijineko.

Oh, and Garret, thanks for making me pull out my 3.5 PHB and DMG - it brought back memories!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    no problem. actually, i got called out on it by my dm. and we even roleplayed it out in game. my character had never used one before, so i turned my player forgetfulness and confusion into a rp moment where the ranger was taught by the cleric how to use wands (that were also on the ranger list). ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And here's 500 xp for inventive role playing!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This brings to mind Mickey and his experience in Fantasia. Try that in your game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Everyone,
    Thanks for all of your input, it helped out greatly. It was a little debate between the players and our DM but is now solved. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    happy to oblige. =D

Downloads
    Uploads
    They can, but I think unless you know the spell itself, it would be a dc 24 use magic device check. If you fail the check the first time you try it, you are also not allowed to try again until you gain ranks in UMD, or have an increased int stat.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    don't think so. can you provide the page number you are pulling that from?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always don't follow every single rule but to me id I DMed a wand yes staffs and rods I'd figure somewhere between 3-5th but thats me.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Wands

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Mag...ell_Completion

If you read the rules in the SRD here, you will see the prerequisite is normally a member of the class that can cast the spell. If you do not have a level high enough to cast the spell normally, you can make the appropriate check. If you pass, the spell activates normally, and if you fail you make a mistake and can not try again until you are better prepared (same as rules with copying spells into your spellbook).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    it appears that you are either confusing two completely separate sections of rules, or miss-clicked/quoted.

first off, wands are spell trigger items, which it correctly states in the srd-wands link you provided. see the SRD i prefer to use here:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm

and here:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#spellTrigger

...the rules you cited for spell completion do not apply.

now if we had been talking scrolls and/or other spell completion items....