Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Faerun

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:

Faerun

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    The campaign I recently joined will be in Faerun, and I am new to that setting. The DM allowed me and others to position some of our older epic level characters in that continent as semi-retired NPCs. I have positioned four of my characters there, but I am very weak on the local history. I have no intention to read all the books as I am not a fan of worlds in a box with long established histories.

Instead I would rather hear from other players and DMs about their experiences in Faerun. The Oddball Group that I have written about elsewhere is being run there. I hope that others will share some of their stories too.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Faerun is actually a massive continent. Where 'bouts are your characters?
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    My elven wizard is on one of the Pirate Islands in the Sea of Fallen Stars.

My drow sorcerer is between Cormyr and the Dragon Coast, at the foot of the Storm Horns near the river.

My evil priest of Kali is in northern Damara, and joined the Zhentarim.

My chaotic human fighter is in the jungles of Chult.

Our new campaign is somewhere in the southeast, I hope the maps will be ready later today.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well the Atlas shows that you are in Eastern Shaar, Raurin, or Vambrath. Raurin is a desert and Vambrath is a neat sea city area with a cool forest to the north.

North of these places is Mulhorand, Chessenta and Sempar. Mulhorand is probably the most interesting place in your area.

As for your characters....your drow will have a tough time everywhere. Cormyr does have a goodly number of surface elves so you will be targeted without notice. Damara is full of monsters and untamed for the most part. Your priest should have fun there but the Zhents are back-stabbers and schemers. Watch for dinos and yuan-ti in Chult......The pirate islands are pretty cool too.

Well there is a rich history with lots of options in Faerun so anywhere you go there will be adventure and interesting NPC's. I expect yyou will have lots of fun there.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    Well the Atlas shows that you are in Eastern Shaar, Raurin, or Vambrath. Raurin is a desert and Vambrath is a neat sea city area with a cool forest to the north.

North of these places is Mulhorand, Chessenta and Sempar. Mulhorand is probably the most interesting place in your area.
    We didn't play that group this weekend, but we will be in the Eastern Shaar, near Unther.

As for your characters....your drow will have a tough time everywhere. Cormyr does have a goodly number of surface elves so you will be targeted without notice.
    Yep, he has a full slate of enemies from Cormyr and the Dragon Coast, especially the Vampire Mask guys and Fire Daggers in Westgate. He purchased citizenship in Sembia and has a fortified warehouse in Saerloon.

Damara is full of monsters and untamed for the most part. Your priest should have fun there but the Zhents are back-stabbers and schemers.
    I expect nothing from them, but if I give them occasional aid and raid their enemies, they likely won't attack me.

Watch for dinos and yuan-ti in Chult......The pirate islands are pretty cool too.
    My Fighter is a Weretiger, and he has afflicted about 100 mercenaries. While there is no way to lead an army of lycanthopes, I'm setting the stage for a human crusade to extinct the Yuan-ti and other foul swamp dwellers. I see myself as more of a spiritual leader, leading by example.

Well there is a rich history with lots of options in Faerun so anywhere you go there will be adventure and interesting NPC's. I expect yyou will have lots of fun there.
    Check out my post on page four of the Highest Level Character thread, my Elf Arch-Wizard is having some problems with the Red Wizards.

I would like to see some others tell about their stories. I hope that I'm not the only one who has actually played in the campaign... heh!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I hope you get to visit a good portion of the world Ed. The designers really earned their paychecks when they wrote books for the setting.

I would like to play a half-vampire in Mulhorand. Its a very Egyptian-like country. I'm thinking a necromancer/neutral cleric as a profession.

Don't forget Ed that there are strongholds of male drow wandering the forests of Cormanthor. You should be able to find a refuge there if you are overly hounded in Sembia or Cormyr. You might also seek out the Witch-Queen of Aglorand. She hates Thay and her sister is a drow, so she may not strike you down immediately.

Well I look forward to hearing of your adventures in the coming weeks.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Don't forget Ed that there are strongholds of male drow wandering the forests of Cormanthor. You should be able to find a refuge there if you are overly hounded in Sembia or Cormyr. You might also seek out the Witch-Queen of Aglorand. She hates Thay and her sister is a drow, so she may not strike you down immediately.
    My Drow (male) Vampire Sorcerer is not exactly appreciated in Menzoberranzan. He started out as a refugee on the surface world (assassin & magic user, AD&D, 1st ed) and achieved levels in the high teens. A DM decided to run Menzoberranzan with all drow characters (8 of us), starting at 7th level. I had been a thorn in the side of the ruling Baenre, and they finally kicked our entire group out. Since then we had been running from the assassins and demon hunters they've sent after us, along with the other enemies we've made.

I may be chaotic evil, but I am a business man first. I'd rather acquire alot of gold than kill anyone... but killing is an acceptable means to an end. I purchased citizenship in Sembia, because I needed access to prosperous markets. I have no need to ever meet another Drow again, unless of course they are interested in trading. I exist within what is generally accepted in Sembia, I try not to overtly kill others in my conflicts with rival guilds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The drow on the surface are all male, most running from priestesses and some are from male dominated cities. There is probably a lot of gold to be made from selling them trade goods.

If you plan on spending a lot of time role-playing in Sembia, then you might find it useful, or at least entertaining, to read the Sembia series of novels.All but one novel takes place entirely in Sembia.
    Last edited by Digital Arcanist; 05-09-2007 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The drow on the surface are all male
    That is not exactly true. There are certainly drow females who dwell on the surface, or close enough to make make frequent jaunts to it, notably priestesses of Eilistraee for instance.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm talking about the area that his character is in only!

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    If you plan on spending a lot of time role-playing in Sembia, then you might find it useful, or at least entertaining, to read the Sembia series of novels.All but one novel takes place entirely in Sembia.
    To be honest, I do not read any sci-fi or fantasy.

All my reading is work related, or related to history, politics and philosophy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What?
    "I've seen the 'Exorcist' about a hundred and sixty-seven times, and it keeps getting funnier, every time I see it!

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerve Gas View Post
    What?
    What are you whatting?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You never read science fiction or fantasy. I thought that was a requirement.

J/K
    "I've seen the 'Exorcist' about a hundred and sixty-seven times, and it keeps getting funnier, every time I see it!

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerve Gas View Post
    You never read science fiction or fantasy. I thought that was a requirement.
    Other than the core rule books, I just don't have the time.

I don't like feeling constrained by writers coming up with a barrage of non-stop gospel for the generic popular world in a box. Last year our group decided to go Forgotten Realms to mainstream our game, but only as far as the main campaign setting book. Sure we follow what we can, but we value the creativity of our players more.