Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Rearranging forums?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rearranging forums?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    While I realize this has come up before, let me quote one of my own posts:

Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    The more I think about it, I think the genre-specific forums are a waste. We should do what the RPG.net forums do: D&D and Everything Else.

Possibly we could subdivide D&D like we have it now, and Everything Else according to the most popular systems: World of Darkness, Savage Worlds, GURPS perhaps, Call of Cthulhu or Basic Roleplaying, and the Independent Publisher forum. By now we have enough empirical data to decide which systems need their own forums.
    Advantages of rearranging forums:
    • Finding the appropriate genre for a new thread is not always intuitive. Should Deadlands Reloaded discussions go in Modern/Universal or Horror/Dark Future?
    • A general forum for all games might lead to more cross-pollenating of ideas.
    • Division by system, if we adopt it for anything beyond D&D, mirrors the strong system loyalties most players develop. Nobody is loyal to a genre.
    • System-independent ideas could go in a System-Independent forum (or not).

Granted, I don't know the amount of work involved, and the One Forum to Rule Them All might overwhelm new users. Maybe it's worth considering again?
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The main disadvantage I can see is a loss of archives.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn