Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Well I don't have any experience with this game. I don't play this kinda like game of thrones as I thought initially it is a game for adults. The review I heard is quite uncertain so i would like to play this game on trial version first.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Game of Thrones is an Amaizing series of books and also a very entertaining show.

There is still so much unknown about the Lore, Mythology, Magic System, Class features etc etc. Hell...even White Walkers are still a small mystery leaving out such detail.

Try the PC games. That might float yourself some ideas.

There is so little to be known that anything made by non professional sources (PC games, Goerge RR Martin approved resources etc etc) will be half done at best filled with Guesswork.

I'm sticking with Pathfinder and GURPS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Game of Thrones is definitely amazing, both the series and the books. At the risk of sounding corny, both draw me right into the story, and I find myself thinking (at least for the show) that this has to be the fastest hour of the week! LOL I also like that some of the stuff in the show deviates from the material in the books. I know that some is obviously done for continuity and time constraints, but I hear from friends who are further along in the books than I that there are characters who appear in the books but not at all in the series. Just makes it interesting, and makes me need to see AND read more. Very well done.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It has been awhile since I have visited this thread. In a way I am surprised it is not archived, and in a way I am surprised it does not have 58 pages of commentary.

Upon advice I found here, I d/l the free introductory piece. Read it over a few times to find out if I liked it even a bit. My problem is that I am so fascinated by the books/movies that I'm afraid any old pile of crap would look like gold to me.

The rule book also found it's way into my house. It too may have me under it's spells. So, of course I had to get the Chronicles and the Wedding Knight adventure as well. The rules don't sound so bad, but then I have yet to put them into play and see first hand if they work at any level. Wanted to run a game at one of our local conventions, but without running any games I am of course hesitant to run them for paying players. Since my old group fell apart maybe I will find the time to look for some players at our new game store.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I read something about social combat earlier in the thread, not sure if it's actually in the GoT system or not.
    That system excluded, the burden seems to be on the GM to make a Game of Thrones game good, since GoT seems heavily social and less physical. Meaning, it's easy to set up conflict by having someone swing a sword at players, not so easy to set up conflict with witty comments, veiled threats, and conflicting motivations.

My lingering question: is there a Game of Thrones system that includes game mechanics that can't create the same game that d20 could?
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.21
    http://modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you talking about the social combat? Back in the day Pendragon had the social combat system that worked very well.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, we have had three games. Overall, I do think I like the game even if I have pretty much butchered a good set of rules. Introduced the combat part of the rules last week and the intrigue part yesterday. Seems to me we are using about 10 to 20% of the RaW but the players don't seem to mind. As time goes by I am sure though get better with the rules. In the mean time, the players are off to the Wall. Much and more can happen in a thousand miles, and then they have to get home.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have friends that play GoT. I think they enjoy it more than any of their other current games. It is about all they talk about. The fact that you have to create your house and then work (mostly) together has really drawn them into the game in a way that the old "you meet in a tavern" or some such nonsense can't touch.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the "meet in the tavern" approach was evolved to deal with the reality of gameplay at cons. originally d&d was based around the concept that a pc was/would automatically become a leader of considerable resources and number of people, and was played as such. one of the gripes that gygax had with more modern versions was the failure to emphasize that point.

it is no more inherent to d&d than the dm in question.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, we have met seven times now and things seem to be going well in spite of my fumbling with rules. Combat seems to becoming easier as we have went over it in quite a few different ways. The intrigue seems to be a more difficult challenge. We do this so frequently that every time seems to be the first time. lol I suck with these rules, but I do enjoy them.

We have one player who has lept to a higher social situation. Guess he is playing the Game of Thrones as intended. He has also run a session of the Night's Watch. Had to have a second group which included several of the original group. Some of the guys have to work on game days sometimes so the others wanted to have a second group with another as the head of household. We will see how this works out.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The group has split in two. We have a group going Saturday from noon to 4, and then another group going from 8 to midnight. I am going to be exhausted. lol Gotta get back to writing up the scenes.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    any chance of the two groups working at cross purposes? ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    i have learnt a lot about the same name game and the book as well but have not tried any of them yet .. now looking forward for experiencing the both

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the updates mrken! Now I'm curious - any chance you could summarize the combat and intrigue rules for us?