Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Game of Thrones

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Ok, so a friend of mine turned me onto the HBO movie Game of Thrones. To me it was a great movie (though I thought there was way too much sex shown). In fact, it really reminded me of the game I have been GM'ing all these years, except my gamers are always whining for more magic and spectacular monsters.

Since then I bought the books and am just about to finish A Dance with Dragons. I found that there is a game based on these books and an wondering if anyone has played the game. Is it any good? Should I buy it, or, should I just continue with my game. Or should I modify my game to include more of the books ideas? Just looking to pick your brains. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not getting any answers here, but I did hear that our local convention in February will have a slot on Friday with Game of Thrones being offered. Think I will sign up for that and find out myself. Hope the GM is good or at least competent. The series was really good and I enjoyed the books immensely. Only expecting the game is at least decent, hoping for awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no experience with the books, HBO movie or the game, so I didn't put in a response. But since you mentioned that there's a game being run at a nearby con, I'd say that's probably a good way to get introduced to the game!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    February is a long time to wait I think. Was a sale on RPGnow. Think I missed it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont have the recent version of the RPG yet. I still have the old d20/tristat which the tristat one was ok and the d20 was pretty good for trying to make it fit in d20
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks MSG. Could you enlighten me how it plays? How it holds to the books? How does it do what it says it does. Are you glad you spent the money on it? Do you have any of the expansions, and if so, which ones? Sorry for all the questions, but I really liked the books.

I just found out the GoT being offered at the Con is a board game. I am not really a fan of board games, but I think I will try this anyway.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    Thanks MSG. Could you enlighten me how it plays? How it holds to the books? How does it do what it says it does. Are you glad you spent the money on it? Do you have any of the expansions, and if so, which ones? Sorry for all the questions, but I really liked the books.

I just found out the GoT being offered at the Con is a board game. I am not really a fan of board games, but I think I will try this anyway.
    d20
    how it plays - like most d20 games only magic is mostly missing, if you have played Conan d20 you'll see similarities.
    how does it hold up to the books - as much or as little as you want, it includes a summery of the first book and the classes are things like godsworn but there is nothing mechanicly unique to the setting.

tri-stat
    how it plays - maybe I'm just not a fan of tristat but I found the rules clunky, its better for low magic than d20 but the mechanics were hard to remember and we were constantly having to look stuff up.
    how does it hold up to the books - I would say if your farmiliar with tri-stat is probably better than the d20 version as the mechanics get in the way of the story less than the d20 version but we had never played tri-stat before so we were learning a new system.

was it worth the money - Probably not, it was $100 and its thick including both d20 and tristat systems but other than being pretty its not all that special
    There were no expansions to my knowledge of these games as the company went bankrupt shortly after. The stand alone d20 book came out but the stand alone tri-stat was never printed so you have to buy the big book of both systems if you want to play tri-stat. The new one from Green Ronin looks good and Green Ronin has made some terrific products (Mutants and Masterminds, Freeport & Dragon Age) but I have not bought it yet.
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 11-28-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Morton, while I have never played any of the games you mentioned, I know enough about them to know what you are talking about. Or, maybe it was because you explained yourself well enough I can understand what you meant.

You sort of boiled it down to agree pretty much with what I had read online about the game. Maybe now that Green Ronin is in on this I might buy it after all. But I suspect I will use it as source material and maybe switch to a different rule system. I want to get back into gaming but I can't bear the thought of another DnD system even though I have a three foot stack of 3.5 and a foot of 4.0 to my back. Too many rules to be fun.

Thanks for you help.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you ever want to offload any of the 3.5 books, let me know. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    These I bought over a few years for my son. Now that he is mostly gone he told me they are now mine. Think I will box them up and store them for when he is older and wants to teach his kids how to play the old man game. lol

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that's a good choice too. =D
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't actually played the Green Ronin "A Song Of Ice and Fire" RPG but the system seems very well designed for the style of stories in the setting. The standard assumption is that the players are all one Noble House, which they create as part of char gen. The system is a bit like L5R, a "roll and keep" using d6s, and it formalises Intrigue and Mass Battles in the same sort of framework as Combat, having a social "Armour Class" and "Hit points" as well as physical defences, health, and armour.

A note for those concerned about social combat, an Intrigue "combat" is focussed toward achieving one specific change in attitude/behaviour, not total conversion, if one side changes objective, the other side "heals" Composure (social hit points)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like it has some of the same sort of stuff that my old Pendragon game had. Stuff like passions and loyalties.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I realize that it has been a while, but Green Ronin has a quick start pdf on their website.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    go get birthright for D&D and modify it, the perfect setting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast