Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Romance in a D&D Game?

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Opinions on Romance in a D&D Game?

Whats your opinion on romance, love, and marriage in a D&D game? I'm a DM, and Im torn on the idea of romance in a campaign. Some people think its good motivation, others think its a distraction from the plot itself. In my only experience though, it was really fun.

We had two characters in my game once that were homosexuals; Yeah yeah, like it or not thats what they did. At first, I didnt wanna allow it because I dont wanna encourage homophobia. But they were mature, nobody made any wise cracks, and believe it or not, having homosexuals made for a very interesting plot. The characters twisted what was originally a plot about wandering into the Shadowfell into a game of finding peace and acceptance in a religious and overly-traditional society, by means of fighting rioting towns people and negotiating with religious and political leaders. In my experience, marriage and romance in a D&D game can lead to a very fun game, even if its not the kind of romance you would expect.

Whats your opinion?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't remember the last time I have dealt with romance in a RPG. As long as it is done well, mature and in context with the game, then I think it should be welcomed for it will add to the story. When it gets out of hand (obscene gestures/favortism/in game and out of game merging romances), then it starts taking away from the fun.
    Drink lad. Drink to the past and drink to the morrow's reckoning.
    Becoming a hero is simple. Do something dumb enough to be brave yet lucky enough to survive.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    my experience was between a male and female character, both being run by males. we felt uncomfortable rp'ing towards each other in that way, so we held a couple of out-of-game sessions figuring out the likely dynamics between the two based on backgrounds and personalities. that gave us a number of stories and "incidents" to allude to in game and appropriate pre and post relationship-start personalities to work with. we skipped over the personal-private lovey-dovey stuff in-game. that all occurred during down time. the rp was excellent and accurate, and convincing. occasionally we would update with new stories to keep it interesting. it worked out quite well for everyone.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    It can work, yes. Though I've had some rather awkward experiences on the matter. The gist of what I believe is this: D&D shouldn't be a go-between for real romance. As long as the players can separate fantasy from reality and can tell when they are roleplaying and when they aren't, then I'd say that it's alright. By that I mean that love can be a seriously sore topic sometimes, and it has an annoying habit of creeping in and clouding judgment. If they can't separate themselves from the aforementioned playing styles, don't allow it. Or things WILL get awkward for the rest of us. You'll have to be the judge of your players, though.
    Last edited by hopesfirexx; 10-23-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Second hopesfire.

Stop and look at your favorite, or all?, fantasy movies. Romance, romance, and well, romance. I'd say the only good reason to leave it out is if the players get goofy with it.
    Powered by: Modos RPG, version 1.21
    http://modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    If done well it could it as interesting as some of the D@d novels. But players and Gm. views are also important.
    Elves keep their counsel and sharpen their ears.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't like the idea, personally. I don't mind a PC getting romantic with an NPC, but between PC's there is WAY too much of a chance of getting personal. What happens if one of the characters dies? With "friends", there is sadness, but the players might go overboard if the PC's are in romantic situations.

I vote no.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in this 4.0 game right now where the DM let something happen that goes along with this topic. We had a ranger in our group that was hitting on every girl in town and finally he rolled a nat 20 on a charisma check, so he seduced her. we'll he let the romance happen now in the town of Thunderbrook the ranger has a wife and 3 kids to support, he lets this happen by saying that he has to give his family a portion of what he finds to feed them, but in return he's had some festive parties he's been allowed to go to cause his wife became friends with people in town and got invited. While at the party he got hired for a job and other cool stuff. so he allows it to happen like that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had good success with PCs falling for Succubi, or Nymphs & Dryads etc that have seduction as part of their repertoire, but anything beyond that inevitably devolves into creepy innuendo that adds nothing to the game whatsoever. Seduction and lust are fine, but love and romance just flat don't work. I have not run a game in over 5 years that has not been a mix of male and female, but I still would not do it. If the players want to get lucky at a party thrown in their honor, great, but adventurers should not have families.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just watched A Knight's Tale. More romance! So how do you include it in the game without it getting weird?

My first guess is to put as much metagame distance as possible between the DM and player, i.e. use third-person interaction (instead of 2nd or 1st), and maybe even paraphrase your dialogue.

DM: The beautiful princess says that she demands Krarg's presence at the Royal Bathhouse, for...security. Of course. And she winks.

Krarg: Krarg balks a bit and says smiling that he'll see if there's time amidst his barbarian blood-squelching.