Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Murder Mystery

Downloads
    Uploads

Murder Mystery

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hello all! I thought I would see if anyone had some advice for writing a compelling murder mystery.

The goal I'm trying to achieve is to set up a 1930s era game where everything seems normal. I then want to go through a rash of murders that become more and more strange as the game goes on.

Part of the plan is to have my players torn between whether or not something paranormal is really happening or if it is just a device of the killer.

I have a general idea of how to set up each murder but I don't want to parade my players through three or four crime scenes in a row. Obviously they'll be doing some investing and perhaps just as they get close the next murder happens.

Does anyone had any advice in this regard?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What are the circumstances? The role of the players would matter. Are they police detectives, Private Eyes, reporters? This will matter in to how you present the murders.

You can also have the murders in different jurisdictions. That actually was the case with Jack the Ripper. Say the intersection of three police jurisdictions, the players will only get first hand evidence for murders in their beat.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to go with police detectives but, actually, I wouldn't necessarily have to. I had not considered that. That alone is a great tip!

If I split up the jurisdiction I could have them focusing on the single murder but I would like it to be a bit more in their face as they go through the series.

Thank you for the advice!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Po0lice usually share information, but it would cut down on the number of crime scenes of the type they see first hand. The Cannon St. Murder is lot like your First Street murder, they see the file and photos after the fact and don't have to play forensic dudes for every case. It also allows you to interject ideas as an NPC cop if they are not getting it or headed too far down the wrong path.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a good idea! I appreciate the tips!